Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

car sat for 4 years what should i do

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update!!:car sat for 4 years what should i do

ok i'm getting a '92 4dr ex for free from my girlfreinds parents the only problem is that it sat without being ran for 4 years what should i do to it before attempting to start it? i was told it ran perfect before the parked it and it has 135 k on the car the body and interior is also perfect so i would like to get it running soon

Modified by messeduprex at 8:14 PM 3/11/2006
Old 03-08-2006, 01:20 PM

Default Re: car sat for 4 years what should i do (messeduprex)

compression test and leak down test..........
Old 03-08-2006, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

change the oil. drain/replace all fluids. new plugs. should put new gas in it.
Old 03-08-2006, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (skratchnsnift)

new battery, new fluids like gas too! Then SEE if it starts, it might not. then I would go to electrical like the dizzy will most likely be bad. Mine went after sitting for 1 year.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (alleyezonme)

anyone else?
Old 03-08-2006, 02:16 PM

Default Re: (skratchnsnift)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ash81 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">compression test and leak down test.......... </TD></TR></TABLE>
How would this help? just check all the fluids then just start it up
Old 03-08-2006, 02:16 PM
jbs
Honda-Tech Member

Its pretty much covered. Surprisingly, my car started with 1 year old gas in the tank. Ofcourse 1 is not equal to 4. Dizzy went out but thanks to Autozone's lifetime warranty I got that replaced for free.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

new battery as well
Old 03-08-2006, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (iamhollywood)

Change fluids, charge battery, pull plugs, put a cap full of marvel oil in each cylinder, put in new plugs. Wait about 1/2 hour. Start it up. Let it run for a while before revving the motor.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dwnthehatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dwnthehatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">marvel oil </TD></TR></TABLE>

also known as.....TRANSMISSION FLUID

Transmission fluid does not foul out your plugs but it still lubricates.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DirtySol)

cool thanks everybody i just blew the motor in my crx and i need a running car quick i was just thinking of doing a full tune up before i try to start it. but i should pour tranny fluid down into the cylinders?
Old 03-08-2006, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (messeduprex)

I would only pour about a cap to two caps down the sparkin' bolt holes and let it sit for at least 30 minutes.....

Just hope and pray that the rings have not coroded solid......if they have, I know a trick to break them loose so that you do not have to re-ring the engine
Old 03-08-2006, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DirtySol)

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't it ATF and not MTF the fluid with lots of detergent?

As I said, correct me if I am wrong. I will start checking for the answer to this question as soon as I finish posting this.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EsQueue)

correct, ATF has lots of detergent and so does Marve Mystery Oil. MTF is essentially Dino oil with some friction inhibitors made specifically for brass.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car sat for 4 years what should i do (messeduprex)

i think its been pretty much covered
-change ALL liquids
-new battery
-new dizzy
-new spark plugs and FIRE IT UP,
edit: i have never heard of pouring oil into the cylinders, but if it works, try it
Old 03-08-2006, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car sat for 4 years what should i do (KINGSOL18)

There's a good chance that if it has set for 4 years with gas in the fuel rail that the injectors could be clogged. I put a D16Z6 in a friend's car that had set for a few years and it wouldn't start at all. I had to pull the injectors, clean them up good with carb cleaner/injector cleaner/acetone/other good solvent and ran some voltage to them.... did the trick. Also sprayed cleaner down in the manifold. Turns out the thermostat was also shot. You may not have to do all that, but there's a good chance of it. You may also have water in the fuel tank.

oil in the cylinders is a good idea, too... keeps you from messing up the cylinders if there's a bit of rust or such around the rings.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i second the clean the fi, my swap from hmotors had clogged injectors, idk how long it sat, but i just used the ones from my z6, also, do the oil trick, thats how i started my towncar that sat for 2 years when everyone told me it wouldn't
Old 03-09-2006, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EG93si)

you guys are crazy,check the oil if its fine then put a good battery in it and start it.my 90 si sat for like 6years all i did was put a fresh battery in it and aired up the tires.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:23 PM

Default Re: (4door93civic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 4door93civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you guys are crazy,check the oil if its fine then put a good battery in it and start it.my 90 si sat for like 6years all i did was put a fresh battery in it and aired up the tires.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i kno it .. check the oil and the battey and start the damn thing.... i had a swap sit in a car for atleast 3.5 years w/o plugs or wires in it and me and a buddy swapped it into his car w/ old plugs and wires fired right up
Old 03-09-2006, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (4door93civic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 4door93civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you guys are crazy,check the oil if its fine then put a good battery in it and start it.my 90 si sat for like 6years all i did was put a fresh battery in it and aired up the tires.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Even if the car starts doesn't mean that the fluids aren't contaminated. Why be cheap when it will cost you more in the long run?

I would definitely change the water, oil and gas before trying to starting it. I would also put a little bit of oil in the cylinders to avoid scaring. I would attempt to charge the battery and work from there. If the injectors or dizzy have problems, I would deal with them then but if it starts, then forget it.

There is absolutely no reason to drive around with that old oil or gas.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EsQueue)

ok here is a question i was already going to change the oil first thats a no brainer and i going to put a couple of gallons of fresh gas in it too but the car has a half a tank of old gas in it should i drain it? if so how would i do that is there a drain on the tank?
Old 03-10-2006, 01:02 PM

yes drain it, make sure before you you check the tire pressure. It wouldnt hurt to reset the ECU after you ahve done all this, but if you replace the batt while the cables are off it should have the same effect. The oil down the cylinders is an excellent idea.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (93civic_sedan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by messeduprex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok here is a question i was already going to change the oil first thats a no brainer and i going to put a couple of gallons of fresh gas in it too but the car has a half a tank of old gas in it should i drain it? if so how would i do that is there a drain on the tank?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why the hell did they let it sit for 4 years w/ a 1/2 tank of gas in it?
Old 03-10-2006, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mwieczorek43)

it was supposed to be my girlfreinds car when she got her liscense but she has no intentions on learnig how to drive stick so she bought a diffrent car and let it sit there
Old 03-10-2006, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mwieczorek43)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mwieczorek43 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Why the hell did they let it sit for 4 years w/ a 1/2 tank of gas in it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

People do that sort of thing.... my suburban came with 25-30 gallons of 6 year old gas....

There's several ways of getting the gas out. If there isn't any water in the tank, you can just pump/syphon most of it out, then fill it up with good gas. Easy way to get most of the gas out is just to undo the line from the fuel filter, run it to a gas can, and run constant voltage to the fuel pump....

Another way is to run a syphon hose down into the tank through the filler spout....

If you've got water in the tank (it sat for 4 years w/ a half a tank.... it probably does) then you need to get as much of it out as possible, then use something like a fuel drier.... it's basically alcohol... If it's got a lot of water and gunk in the tank, you'll want to empty the tank out, drop it, then clean it out and put it back.

By no means do you want to try to run on that old of gas. If you open up the gas cap and sniff, it probably kinda smells a bit sweet... the gas turns to varnish and ruins stuff..... clogs injectors, doesn't burn right..... easier to get it out and put fresh gas and some kind of fuel system cleaner in it from the start.

Quick Reply: car sat for 4 years what should i do