Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

car runs like crap with new ecu

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2002, 12:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car runs like crap with new ecu

Recently I came across a P28 with a JUN chip in it. Sounded like a good deal since my local speed shop would charge me the same price as i paid for this one. I own a 98 Ex civic with all you basic mods. Cold air intake, race cat, catback exhaust system, fuel pressure regulator and stage 1 clutch masters clutch and fly wheel with a dx tranny because i completely blew out 2 gear out of my EX tranny. Any ways i bought a skunk2 wiring harness and put it on the car then pluged in the ecu with the JUN chip in it an started the car. The car surges at idle and will backfire like you would never beleive when you are barely on the gas. I was wondering what could be making my car run like this if it is the chip or what. Oh yeah the chip was said to take out the speed governer and the V-TEC cross over is at 4400 and the rev limiter is set at 9100rpm. The guy i got it from said it would run a single cam V-TEC but also run a B serise with V-TEC. PLEASE HELP?????
Old 10-18-2002, 12:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car runs like crap with new ecu (Rice Si)

this is one hell of a first post...

first off, what made you think a DOHC PCM would work on a SOHC car? i may be wrong, but that is NOT plug-and-play, even if the 'plugs' go together.

second, what good is 4400 vtec and 9100 rev limit on an internally stock SOHC motor? you can't rev that high with stock guts, and 4400 vtec will do nothing but waste fuel and bog. honda's vtec settings are almost 100% optimal, except in extreme, non-streetable race conditons.

i don't think the PCM limits speed, PHYSICS does. how fast are you planning on going?

swap that **** back to stock, sell the PCM on ebay, and consult this message board before you make any mods.

welcome to honda-tech.
Old 10-18-2002, 01:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Recently I came across a P28 with a JUN chip in it. Sounded like a good deal since my local speed shop would charge me the same price as i paid for this one. I own a 98 Ex civic with all you basic mods. Cold air intake, race cat, catback exhaust system, fuel pressure regulator and stage 1 clutch masters clutch and fly wheel with a dx tranny because i completely blew out 2 gear out of my EX tranny. Any ways i bought a skunk2 wiring harness and put it on the car then pluged in the ecu with the JUN chip in it an started the car. The car surges at idle and will backfire like you would never beleive when you are barely on the gas. I was wondering what could be making my car run like this if it is the chip or what. Oh yeah the chip was said to take out the speed governer and the V-TEC cross over is at 4400 and the rev limiter is set at 9100rpm. The guy i got it from said it would run a single cam V-TEC but also run a B serise with V-TEC. PLEASE HELP?????
Well the only way to tell is to go on the street, and floor it to redline through all your gears. Maybe in needs to calibrate itself to the new motor.
Old 10-18-2002, 01:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Why so you can pretend like youre interested, FL/OK
Default Re: car runs like crap with new ecu (ruthless013)

this is one hell of a first post...

first off, what made you think a DOHC PCM would work on a SOHC car? i may be wrong, but that is NOT plug-and-play, even if the 'plugs' go together.

second, what good is 4400 vtec and 9100 rev limit on an internally stock SOHC motor? you can't rev that high with stock guts, and 4400 vtec will do nothing but waste fuel and bog. honda's vtec settings are almost 100% optimal, except in extreme, non-streetable race conditons.

i don't think the PCM limits speed, PHYSICS does. how fast are you planning on going?

swap that **** back to stock, sell the PCM on ebay, and consult this message board before you make any mods.

welcome to honda-tech.
Correct me if I am wrong but isn't P28 the SOHC vtec ecu? I would figure the only real differences are going to be where vtec engages. People with the same setups are running V-AFCs that lower the vtec cross-over to about 5 I believe, I realize they are not revving as high, but I doubt this guy is either. Please explain why the p28 would be horrible for his car?
Old 10-18-2002, 01:18 AM

Default Re: car runs like crap with new ecu (MagoDeOz)

Well the only way to tell is to go on the street, and floor it to redline through all your gears. Maybe in needs to calibrate itself to the new motor.

Yeah! try this^^^^ & after 3rd gear stop & pick up your rods from the street
**** I would be impressed if made it to second gear.
Old 10-22-2002, 09:08 PM

Default Re: car runs like crap with new ecu (tonyxcom)

try the new ECU
Old 10-22-2002, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car runs like crap with new ecu (-=TWITCH=-)

That ECU is for a B series motor and you are running way to rich and your fuel maps are prob all F%^ked up I would have gone with a basic P28 with a milder chip or just get a VAFC you dont have that much done to the motor to go that crazy
Old 10-22-2002, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car runs like crap with new ecu (underrated99si)

p28 is also a sohc ecu, I had one in my sol, But I have no clue what is going on.
Good luck
Old 10-22-2002, 10:07 PM

Default Re: car runs like crap with new ecu (madhatch)

change the ECU to a stock unit and see what happens
Old 10-22-2002, 10:08 PM
B18C-EJ1

First off JUN doesn't make SOHC VTEC chips, the chip you have is for a B18C or B16A. WAAAYYYY to rich for your 1.6 SOK.

SO, either ditch the ecu, and go back to stock, or get yourself a nice 1.6 SOHC chip and call it a day.

LATE
Old 10-22-2002, 10:12 PM

Default Re: car runs like crap with new ecu (B18C-EJ1)

yep.. it will continue to run like crap. Get rid of that thing
Old 10-22-2002, 11:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car runs like crap with new ecu (Nameless)

are you throwing any codes? that chiped p28 that you got is for B-series motors. your not gonna gain anything with that on your stock d16, you might wanna return that and get your money back or sell it to someone who needs it.
Old 10-23-2002, 04:11 AM

Default Re: car runs like crap with new ecu (zzZZzzleeperCX)

Mugen and Jun programs are for engines with their high compression pistons with their racing cams and internal head work. Stock engines will not benifit from the chip at all other then running super rich and backfiring. Unless you put about 10g in your motor that chip is doing more harm then good.
Old 10-23-2002, 04:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like a DOHC VTEC chip. but that doesn't mean it will not work well , from few dyno tests of the chip, it actually works quite well on a mild d16z6 and even d15b sohc vtec.

check this out.
http://pub143.ezboard.com/fhondadser...icID=324.topic

things that might be hurting you in this is: - fuel pressure regulator (set too high) and ignition timing set too high as well.

my recommendation is to do some tuning. first start with ignition timing, then move on to fuel pressure

as far as JUN, they did make SOHC VTEC D15b chips for JDM P08 ecu (it will run in P28 as well)