Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car Revs ON Idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Revs ON Idle

Hey guys i have a 93 civic EX model and it revs on Idle. When it is in gear it doesn't Rev. Also if i dive it for more than 20-30 minutes it overheats. Does anyone how i can fix this problem and how much?? Any Help would greatly be appreciated.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car Revs ON Idle

The revving it only happens in neutral or if clutch is depressed if so its probably or IACV valve most likely. To clean it is easy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUkCCwqU3eU heres a youtube link to clean it.

Second the overheating ive had low coolant cause my engine to hunt(rev high to low) before. I am quessing your coolant level is low and thats why its overheating. But next question is why is it low? Head gasket? bad Rad, Leaking lines? Airpockets?

Check the coolant top it off and clean your Iacv and keep and eye on coolant level and for leaks and fix the problem accordingly. also check for white smoke out ur exhuast and milky oil.

dave hope this helps
Old 05-20-2010, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by davedomonkos
The revving it only happens in neutral or if clutch is depressed if so its probably or IACV valve most likely. To clean it is easy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUkCCwqU3eU heres a youtube link to clean it.

Second the overheating ive had low coolant cause my engine to hunt(rev high to low) before. I am quessing your coolant level is low and thats why its overheating. But next question is why is it low? Head gasket? bad Rad, Leaking lines? Airpockets?

Check the coolant top it off and clean your Iacv and keep and eye on coolant level and for leaks and fix the problem accordingly. also check for white smoke out ur exhuast and milky oil.

dave hope this helps
Thank you dave so much for your quick response, I will watch this video when i get home and hopefully fix this revving. As For the overheating i have already tried putting coolant but it seems to still overheat. I will check the smog when i get a chance!! TY.. If you have any opinions or anything to add to daves response please post!! THANKS!!
Old 05-20-2010, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

how much coolant did it take maybe all it needs is to be bleed because of the air? also it could be a sticking thermostat, does the heat work in your car? also the two major lines in your car after running for a while touch the two huge coolant lines going to the rad if ones hot and ones cold your thermostat is done and change it.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bleed the coolant. It worked for me.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by StraightSixX2
Bleed the coolant. It worked for me.
What do you mean Bleed the coolant???
Old 05-20-2010, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So i finally got home to try cleaning the part from the video i didn't take the 2 hoses connected to the part and just sprayed the two holes. Turned the car on it didnt fix the revving Although it revs less. can anyone tell me how i can remove the two hoses connected to the part
Old 05-23-2010, 12:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by davedomonkos

dave hope this helps
Thanks again dave yeah there is definetly a coolant leak... >.< how much do u think it will cost to fix this at a shop??? Also i tried to clean the part that is described in the video u posted but how do i take the part out of the two tubes? am i suppose to just yank it off??? i wanna make sure with someoen before i do anything thanks!!!
Old 05-23-2010, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Mylinh
Thanks again dave yeah there is definetly a coolant leak... >.< how much do u think it will cost to fix this at a shop??? Also i tried to clean the part that is described in the video u posted but how do i take the part out of the two tubes? am i suppose to just yank it off??? i wanna make sure with someoen before i do anything thanks!!!
anyone know what i should do with the 2 tubes connected to the part described in videos? should i yank it or whats up?? lolz
Old 05-23-2010, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nice lil video
Old 05-23-2010, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

anyone know what i should do with the 2 tubes connected to the part described in videos? should i yank it or whats up?? lolz
they are held on with small hose clamps. use some regular or angled needle nose pliars to move them and then twist/pull the hoses off.

yeah there is definetly a coolant leak... >.< how much do u think it will cost to fix this at a shop???
no way to know. depends on where it's leaking from