Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

car paint jobs

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car paint jobs

where did you get your car painted at? how much was the total cost? and what color did you choose? im thinking about going to either maaco, earl schieb, or one day paint? are any of these good places to go? what kind of packages are offered and what are included in it? i thinking about going yellow.

if you got n/e pictures of your car and its paintjob post em up.
Old 03-21-2004, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car paint jobs (posterchild)

went to a small place here in victoria.
daytona blue off the 350z.
Old 03-21-2004, 06:39 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: car paint jobs (jameskersten1)

good color in person also
Old 03-21-2004, 06:42 PM

if i were u i would just go to a near autobody shop
ask them for prices.. stay away from macco's and any other cheap shops they suck at painting and prepping.
Old 03-21-2004, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: car paint jobs (jameskersten1)

350Z Daytona Blue
Old 03-21-2004, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (civicrida3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicrida3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if i were u i would just go to a near autobody shop
ask them for prices.. stay away from macco's and any other cheap shops they suck at painting and prepping.</TD></TR></TABLE>

not really troo my freind is the head painter(i think he might of been promoted) seriously some of the cars he did u would never think he painted them. lolz show cars back in like 99-00 for simply imports all got their cars done over by maacco in east brunswick haha.
Old 03-21-2004, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bruceHungLO)

MOB Works

Old 03-21-2004, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (ian)

what color is that hb? looks nice
Old 03-21-2004, 07:09 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Look like another "pics of my car" topic even though you're not meaning it to be. My paintjob with some body work costed me $3,147.00 total. I got new fenders, hood, bumpers, and some rear 1/4 work done because the previous owner had some questionable work done.

I did all the teardown myself and had the bare shell towed to them for a full base/clear repspray, inside and out.

Before:

After the respray:

And after a shitload of manual labor:

IMO you get what you pay for when it comes to paint and body work. Sure I could have saved a grand or more by having someone "hoo me up" but then where's my warranty? Where's my reassurance that if something is wrong they'll fix it because I paid good money for the job?

I'll go ahead and atell you that Maaco and Earl Schieb, etc. generally suck *** when it comes to paint and bodywork. They spray EVERYTHING and don;t do so great at what they do spray.

the only way Maaco would rouch a car of mine is if I had all the bodywork done and did all of the taping myself, and I did not care if the car looked perfect.

When people see my car they are usually blown away by the smoothness and extensive paintwork and bodywork done to the car. I cannot take any of that credit other than making a withdrawal from y bank account and choosing a great shop to do the work for me.

If you care more about performance and need that extra cash for a swap, build-up of your current engine, suspension, braks, etc. then the bargain paintjob will suffice I'm sure.

If you want the **** to look brand new though, i'd plan on at least spending about $1,200.00 or so on a same-color job with removal of minor dents/dings. A total color change usually runs more like the $2,500.00-$3,500.00 depending on the level of bodywork *IF* you do all of the teardown and buil-up yourself as I did.

So what do you want the car to look like? do you want it to look better than O.E brand new?

Old 03-21-2004, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

looks good
Old 03-21-2004, 07:50 PM

good ****! your car looks hella clean.
Old 03-21-2004, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car paint jobs (B18C5-EH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Before:

After the respray:

[</TD></TR></TABLE> sorry for the high jack original poster................my question is for b18c5 eh2 when you took the car to get painted did you have to sand the inside of the car ..... or did the shop just focus on the dents on your car fix does up then just pray over the original paint... i ask because i cant to get my civic repainted the same color "GPB" black but i'm unsure of what to expect for a 2g to 3.5 g paint job what should they (paint shop )offer
Old 03-21-2004, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
So what do you want the car to look like? do you want it to look better than O.E brand new?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was actually told by someone at a body shop that it is impossible for a body shop paint job to be better than a new OE paint job since the body shops lack the multi-million dollar robots that the factory uses. I'd like to believe otherwise, but correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 03-21-2004, 08:14 PM

Default Re: car paint jobs (EricUSC)

You get what you pay for , Plain & Simple .. There is a rezion Shops Charge $1500 + For paint jobs , if not Only thing around would be macco ...I know at the shop i work for it Av around $1500 for Repaint & few small dents .. $2500 for Full color Change with a few small dents ....If your honestly looking not to spend alot of money goto your local CC and see if they offer a Paint & Autobody class , Most will let you work on / paint your car.. It might not look as good as you taking it to a shop BUT it will look 500x than any Macco job and you can say you done it your self
Old 03-21-2004, 08:22 PM

Default Re: car paint jobs (TomC)

was actually told by someone at a body shop that it is impossible for a body shop paint job to be better than a new OE paint job since the body shops lack the multi-million dollar robots that the factory uses. I'd like to believe otherwise, but correct me if I'm wrong.

I would have to say the person that told you that is a lazy idiot. The one main thing that sets the 2 apart is the work done after the paint is sprayed. A factory stock paintjob is never wet sanded and buffed so its always gonna have a small amount of orange peal. When you spend money on a nice paint job, after the final coat of clear is sprayed then you wet sand that thing till the clear is smooth as glass and then buff it to perfection. Robots cant match that.
Old 03-21-2004, 08:24 PM

my car is getting painted white. Body work and paint total cost is around $1,700.
Old 03-21-2004, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

like whats B18 said, if your into the motor more than the car, than a lower grade job will suffice.

If you do get maaco, I highly suggest getting there best package. It will cost you closer to a 1000, but it will come out relativly decent.
Even go as far as to slide the guy a jackson to make sure they do it well.
Old 03-21-2004, 10:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Vero)

all i kno is for me a total paint job from a real good place in jersey would be sanoz if i had the money(supposedly the best body shop on the east coast). they did a whole bunch of ford focuz/sony explode cars and the paintjobs are top notch btu i think even for just a spray is like 2500 maacco isnt bad just prep and do the body werk urself that what you cant bitch that they did a shitty job. tom tho id do have to admit ur car is hella tight but u shelled out the dough for it done id be too cheap hehe
Old 03-21-2004, 10:27 PM

Default Re: car paint jobs (jL iLLuZiOnz 9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jL iLLuZiOnz 9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">350Z Daytona Blue </TD></TR></TABLE>

My Camry is painted that (with a Java Black pearl Top). Very "candy-ish" color.

Old 03-21-2004, 10:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car paint jobs (13DevilsCamry)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 13DevilsCamry &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

My Camry is painted that (with a Java Black pearl Top). Very "candy-ish" color.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

HOLY DAMNMMNMN&gt;&gt;...NMNN.. nice camry.

that paint job looks cleeeeean.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:32 AM
Former Moderator

I think my pics are working again, but they load very slow. The host had an entire server go down recently...

Any updates from the topic starter?
Old 03-22-2004, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

like what B18C5-EH2 said in his first post the only way to get a decent paint job out of maaco or earl shiebs is to prep and mask yourself and just get it towed there...that way you know whats being painted and whats not...plus if you hae done prep work before then you know what the quality will be i.e fish eye,orange peel etc...
Old 03-22-2004, 10:57 AM
Former Moderator

Default Re: car paint jobs (pr0ject Eg6)

I'd venture to say that 60% of the paintjob is how good the prep work is or isn't.

I used to work at a body shop and no matter how awesome the painter is, he cannot make it look good if the prep work is less than great.

I'd have a professional body shop fix all the dents/dings at least and then have the spraying done at Maaco if you simply cannot or will not afford how much a good body shop charges.

If it were me though, you see what I'd do.

Also lastly:

If the car is a pretty decent color to begin with I'd keep the new color as close as possible so that I did not have to have it jammed out.

Mine was red, and I am not a fan of red because red and teal are THE most common colors for hatches (no offense to anyone with red or teal) so I forced myself to do a full color change.

A full colcor change done RIGHT is very time consuming, work intensive, and expensive as **** when compared to a basic exterior respray with at most door and truck jams done.

If I had a Harvard Blue Pearl car I'd have simply done an exterior respray over perfect bodywork and saved a thousand bucks and about 50 hours worth of labor.

Also IMO the only two colors that you can get away with in terms of changing the outside paint, but not the engine bay, is black and Phantom Grey. A black or dark, dark grey engine bay with any other exterior color doesn't look too bad. If you have any other color though I'd say getting the engine bay sprayed the new color is a must.

When we get my fiancee's black hatch resprayed we will probably go with a totally different color and simply have the door and trunk jams reprayed too. A black engine bay is fine IMO.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

working a body/paint shop myself everything you said is true 60% prep/bodywork 40% paint....if the prep work is done right all that has to be worried about is the painter doing his/her job right...i too would go the same route as you Tom..

im keeping my stock color CBP cause i like it...im gonna be doing all body work myself and spraying it myself so that way i know itll come out the way i would want it too plus i dont have to spend 2-3 grand on it cause i get discounts on paint and i use the booth at work
Old 03-22-2004, 11:36 AM
Former Moderator

Default Re: car paint jobs (pr0ject Eg6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pr0ject Eg6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
im keeping my stock color CBP cause i like it... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Ahh yes Captiva Blue Pearl - another kick-*** O.E color.