Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

car overheating, puzzled

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 04:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car overheating, puzzled

I have searched this item but I am puzzled as to what is causing my car to overheat and I need help.

I have a 92 hatch w/ a 97 GSR. I have put a new timing belt, water pump, and thermostat in the car. The car was running fine until the other day when my alternator belt snapped. I replaced the belt and drove the car when i noticed that it started to overheat. coolant leaked out from the reservoir overflowing. I checked both the reservoir and the radiator and both were empty. I immediately put more coolant and drove back home from work. I'm afraid that it could be my head gasket but the car doesn't smoke and there is no oil in the reservoir. also no coolant (from what i can tell) in the oil (looking at oil on the dipstick).

I felt both radiator hoses, the top one is hot and the lower radiator hose is warm but not as hot as the top one. could it be that the new thermostat that i got from autozone already went bad or does this sound like a head gasket problem. the car only overheats when i stop, as soon as i start moving the car goes to normal temp. any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!
Old 06-01-2006, 04:48 AM

Default Re: car overheating, puzzled (GSRonZEX)

....also the heater works, and it seems like when I run the a/c the car overheats faster. when i run the a/c w/ the wents open for outside air the car runs cooler. could it also be a bad water pump??
Old 06-01-2006, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have the same problem my car overheats but nothing leaks when i turn the ac on its blows hot air stumped i like to knowmyself
Old 06-01-2006, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would start with replacing the t-stat with an oem one, especially if their is a significant difference in temp between the upper and lower hose.

Also since refilling the coolant is it leaking or lower than the level u refilled it to?

And does your rad fan kick on?
Old 06-01-2006, 07:59 AM

Default Re: car overheating, puzzled (S CARTER)

Bleed your cooling system. You may have an air bubble in there somewhere to cause you to overheat. What type of waterpump did you get? I noticed aftermarket pump fins suck and don't seem to work very well. Have you checked to see if your radiator is/was clogged? Is your fan turning on? Check your fan switch.

Althought you may not think it's the HG, it very well might be.

Also, try running the car w/o the thermostat to see if it will still overheat. If it doesn't you know the thermostat is the problem.

I hope it's not the headgasket becaue that can also lead to a warped head, depending how long you drove with the car overheating.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:37 AM

Default Re: car overheating, puzzled (I3ooS710)

the fan does come on, it's on all the time, I hard wired it to the ignition. as far as the water pump, I got it at autozone as well. I think I'm going to take the t stat out and see what happens. I hope it's not the hg. And I haven't messed the motor up! I'll keep you updated. Thanks for the help.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:10 AM

since the temp drops when youre driving, my guess would be a bad water pump (fins).
Old 06-01-2006, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i really really doubt how the water pump is bad because it is aftermarket and has "bad fins" therefore not cooling properly. sounds like a large load of BS to me.

and i will say this for the thermostat AND waterpump, just because its new, doesnt mean its good. just an fyi.

i'd test your coolant system. pressure test, test pH, and test the cap to make sure it is still good. you'd be surprised how a faulty $10 pressure cap can cause so much trouble.

and i'm betting its your cap... been replaced recently? or at all that you know of?

good luck, and post up what the fix was for my curiosity, and for members that search later down the road.

Modified by 94hatchling at 2:39 PM 6/1/2006