Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car overheating again suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car overheating again suggestions?

Well heres the problem. My car started to overheat after a coolant change about 2 months ago. My car will only start to overheat when the car is going over a cruising speed of 60(after about 5 mins of cruising). So I checked the fans and both radiator and condensor fans work. I changed the thermostat but still overheated. So I did a radiator flush and that didn't work either. So other than the fans, thermostat, or radiator flush what can I do or change to try and fix this?
Old 06-09-2004, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car overheating again suggestions? (scoobyghost)

Hate to say it but it's probably your head gasket.
Old 06-09-2004, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

head gasket.. i had similar experiences with my eg
Old 06-09-2004, 01:57 PM
Electrician

Since you already did every possible thing (hopefully correctly), like everyone said...it's probably your head gasket. Get it changed before something worse happens. While you're at it, change your water pump.
Old 06-09-2004, 02:01 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

you said you flushed the coolant out? did you bleed the air from your cooling system? if theres air in your cooling system then it will still overheat. if its not that, look into replacing your headgasket.
Old 06-09-2004, 02:39 PM

Yeah, try bleeding the system. My buddies crx with a b16 in it did the exact same thing.
Old 06-09-2004, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do a compression test to see if your head gasket might be the problem, also, do you have any coolant in your oil, or any white smoke out the exhaust??
Old 06-09-2004, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car overheating again suggestions?

How many miles on your engine? Are you ready for a timing belt and water pump change? or have you had that done and how long ago if you did. you should check your coolant and oil to see what they look like, coolant should be green as usual, but if the head gasket is leaking, your coolant could be getting into your oil and vice versa, if it's getting into the oil it will be slimy and look like a nasty milkshake. I've changed my coolant a few times and I never had to bleed the air out, a lot of people on here swear by getting the air out and it does sound like it should work. Did you get a honda thermostat? all the other ones the parts stores sell are crap compared to a honda one. Try doing the visual checks first and if you still don't come up with anything check to see if your water pump is flowing and then check your compression.
Old 06-09-2004, 05:13 PM

my daily driven 95 civic with 130,xxx miles had the same problem. i spent the weekend taking the head off the block with rusted bolts and ****...to find out all i have to do was replace the radiator cuz all the fins were bent, covered with dead bugs, pebbles...arrrrrgggg. it just mite be that u need to clean ur radiator.
Old 06-10-2004, 10:51 AM

Default Re: Car overheating again suggestions? (98B00STED)

Wow thanks for the help guys but heres the deal. First off its a 93 civic lx and i've only had it for the last 50 thousand miles it has 200,000 right now. There doesn't seem to be oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil. Well I asked a mechanic about air and they said that could be the problem but after 2 months that it would have come out already and plus i changed the coolant twice so i don't think that is it.

As far as maintaince goes i have done two tune ups(plugs, all liquids, didn't do the water pump or timing belt). And i did use a honda thermostat.

Well yesterday it started to do something real funny. When i was driving on the freeway it started to over heat as usual but when i got off of the gas the temp shot up like crazy. When i got back on the gas it went back to where it was before. Now once it starts to get hot it will do this even on the street. Once hot if i'm on the gas then off of the gas it shoots up and i get back on the gas and it shots down. Damn this sucks. I'm going to check out the radiator as far as bent fins and debrease. Any more ideas guys

Modified by scoobyghost at 2:30 PM 6/10/2004
Old 06-10-2004, 11:33 AM

Well i just checked my radiator and the fins were pretty bad and in the middle they were pushed back about 2 inches from the bars...would this prevent the radiator from cooling?
Old 06-10-2004, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If it's not the head gasket, or air in your coolant then im stumped for time being. Ill see if i can check it out. Good luck
Old 06-10-2004, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm having a similar problem but it involves my coolant not getting cool. I don't lose coolant like a headgasket but it gets very hot and the resevoir fills with boiling coolant so i'm guessing it is the radiator since my fans work and the water pump works.
Old 06-10-2004, 11:48 AM

Default Re: Car overheating again suggestions? (Blazin Civic)

Hmmm yea well like i said i just looked at my radiator and it looks pretty sad. I don't lose radiator but it does boil up into the resevour. Will a autozone radiator be ok? haha I'm strapped for cash becuase of school.
Old 06-10-2004, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

See if any junkyards have a cheap OEM honda one...it might be better. Though if autozone has a lifetime warranty on the radiator that might not be a bad choice.
Old 06-10-2004, 12:00 PM

Default Re: Car overheating again suggestions? (Blazin Civic)

yea they have a lifetime warrenty i just hate messing with non oem parts unless it is an upgrade you know. But they have it for $99 with lifetime warrenty and honda has it for $245 or something like that.
Old 06-11-2004, 04:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

at this point the radiator is the easiest and cheapest one to fix, but you said when you accelerate the the temp goes down, to me that sounds like the water pump and with 200,000 miles I'm sure it's had the timing belt & water pump replaced or should have. Maybe when then did it they did the belt and not the pump. I wouldn't do that cause of all the hassle it is to replace the pump after all that. I tried going to advance to get the pump when I did mine, they listed it but it was out of stock so I went to honda and their's was actually cheaper. If I remember correctly mine was $80 something it's been so long I don't remember.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:17 AM

Default Re: Car overheating again suggestions? (Kista20)

Thanks for the help guys, it ended up being my radiator. I put the new one(yes autozone crap radiator) and it runs fine. Man my old radiator once i had it out looked really bad. The fins were starting to rust off . Anyways peace.