Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

car not starting...please help.!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car not starting...please help.!!

ok...here is my issue. i have a 93 civic si hatch and the car has no spark of fuel. the cel code stays on after the key is turned to the on position. i've changed all the reasonable things people would think it would be like, main relay,fuel pump,ecu,ignition harness,distributer,the underdash fuse panel,under hood fuse panel, clean all the grounds in the engine bay. can someone just give something else to go for because i'm about to change the cabine harness and i rather not haha. thanks for any info.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: car not starting...please help.!!

No-start information:
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/%2A%2A%2A-basics-no-start-diagnosis-101-%2A%2A%2A-1992733/
Old 02-02-2009, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

1: proper diagnosis is key!!!! you waisted so much money on nothing. just throwing parts at it isnt the way to go.

2: how did you test for spark and fuel?

3: do you have the stock engine?

4:what mods do you have?
Old 02-02-2009, 07:38 PM

i tested for spark buy putting a sparkplug in the end on the wire and grounding it out to the powersteering pump and there wasn't any sparkage, for fuel i simply changed the fuel pump,and the main relay and theres still no fuel. the motor is a d16z6 with headers. im wondering if it has anything to do with the cel code 0 throughing up.but i have put a diffrent ecu in it. also im pretty good about hondas this one is just a bia.. like a girl tring to get paid for sex not going to happen hahaha...
Old 02-02-2009, 07:52 PM

ttt
Old 02-02-2009, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

there is no code 0. you say you checked fuel by replacing the fuel pump? that isnt checking it. i mean check to make sure fuel was being supplied. did you hear the fuel pump whine with the key on? unhook the inlet line to your fuel filter and turn the key on and see if fuel sqirts out. some will come out when you take it off but look to see if it sprays with the key on. what ecu do you currently have in and what did you have before?
Old 02-02-2009, 08:01 PM

i know that if i dont hear a fuel pump prim its not coming on. i have a 928 but i put a pr4 to see if it would work but still not pump action. have you ever hurd of any strang reason to why it wouldn't start? i myself am a novice type deal it hondas. but this bogles my head thingy.. so i am stokked... im about to jut get a ex harnes and cange everything to make it run..alot of work but atleast ill know that it will run again when im done.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the pr4 is an integra ecu but it think it should have at least started. put the stock P28 back in. one thing that goes bad (mostly applies to accords) is that the ignition switch goes bad and will cause a no start and the car to shut off while driving. i dont know how to test for that though. so if your pump wasnt coming on, did you see if its getting power up to a certin point and had a solid ground?
Old 02-02-2009, 08:21 PM

yeah...they guy i got the car from tested all of that stuff.. i traded him my semi-built gsr hatch for this si hatch think in my head it was goin to be an ezy fix. but everything is working good. but a code-0 is usually an ecu gone bad because i check what cel code it was throwing but it didnt even blink! it just stays on. but i any going to gut a hoe tomorrow..
Old 02-02-2009, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

there is no code 0. it starts at 1. your car is OBD 1, you need to jump the sevice connector in the left kick panel. it will then begin to blink. check the light then get back to us
Old 02-02-2009, 08:36 PM

i thought the service connectors were on the passanger side buy the ecu...thats what iv'e always check befor.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah sorry i meant right lol did you check it?
Old 02-02-2009, 08:44 PM

not nothing man.. i think it ite have an short somewhere what do you think? because he said it would run sometimes but then it wont.. so im lost for words now. but thats my only opition unless someone can let me know something.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im confused. im done lol dont know what to tell ya. sorry
Old 02-02-2009, 08:56 PM

hahahaha... thats what i did at 7pm so im just going to rip it apart and get a new harness **** the confusion and stress.!!!!
Old 02-02-2009, 08:57 PM

hahah want to buy it?
Old 02-02-2009, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this might sound dumb but does the lights in the dash light up bright like they should or are they kinda dim. i know you said you checked the grounds but there is one on the engine harness that people skip over. the wiering harness has a small ground they hooks to the thermistat housing. alot of people forget that when they do swaps. if that isnt hooked up or is all coroted n not grounded then it wont start n somtimes the lights in the dash will act weird. id check that, if it is hooked up take it off in sand it down if you havent allready. hope that works
Old 02-02-2009, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by p73hatch21
hahah want to buy it?
300 for the whole car??? lol hell yeah, j/k
Old 02-02-2009, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boosteddohczc
this might sound dumb but does the lights in the dash light up bright like they should or are they kinda dim. i know you said you checked the grounds but there is one on the engine harness that people skip over. the wiering harness has a small ground they hooks to the thermistat housing. alot of people forget that when they do swaps. if that isnt hooked up or is all coroted n not grounded then it wont start n somtimes the lights in the dash will act weird. id check that, if it is hooked up take it off in sand it down if you havent allready. hope that works
+1 for the grounds, it is overlooked a lot, just like what we just did
Old 02-03-2009, 02:59 PM

i know about that ground..but thanks for your info..i just got through taking the cabin harness out...im going to the junk yard tomorrow to get another one. but other then that i am lost to check anything else.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd have a look at the fuel pump fuse. If it is blown (like due to a short to ground in the fuel pump power wire or low resistance {bad} pump) you won't get any action from the main relay, thus no fuel or spark, & CEL will stay lit.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:32 PM

what number on the fuse board is the fuel fuse? because this morning i had walked outsid that fuel had spraied out from the lose banjo bolt and soaked the ground.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:33 PM

thats without the key in the ingintion.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

best way to check fuel: pull an injector. thats the last place it enters your engine. if no fuel, move backwards. see if there is power coming to the injectors via a test light. see if there is fuel going to the fuel filter. see if there is power going to the fuel pump via a test light. all 5 minute procedures.

spark issues: if it has no spark, could be the cap, rotor, or a coil. or if it sometimes sparks, and sometimes doesn't and drives you nuts. more likely than not its the ignitor.

and most important!!!- if you want to sell the thing, i'm looking for a hatch shell. let me know.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:50 PM

well thanks for everyones info on the car... i got it running today by changing the cabine harness it fired right the hell up! hahaha i told yall i was goin to do it and i did.. but **** the testing **** change the harness for the win! but i have a cx shell forsale for 800 if you wan it let me know.

Quick Reply: car not starting...please help.!!