Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car not starting

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car not starting

This problem has been happening for a while now but it's gotten real bad lately.

When I go to start my car sometimes it starts fine on the first try with no problems. Other times it clicks but never turns over. The odd thing is 95% of the time I will try to start it in neutral and it wont start. Then I put the car in first and it doesnt start. But, when i put the car in second gear and try to start it it starts almost every time. I have no idea why 2nd gear makes it start but it does. Now, the past two days I've been trying to start it and it will click everytime but it wont turn over at all. It took 8 tries last night and 12 this morning. When it starts tho it starts like nothing is wrong. Doesnt bog down or crank a few times before it starts. Just starts right up.

Now, I'm thinking it has to be something electrical with the car since it doesnt turn over at all until it starts. Any ideas what it might be? This is my daily driver and I cant afford for it to not start. If it helps at all it's a 93 EG with a obd1 B18c1 motor in it.

TIA for any help.
Old 09-18-2004, 10:44 AM
el diablo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Car not starting (JapTendencies)

My first guess would be the starter depending on mileage/year of the motor... the starter in my B18c went bad after only 3 months of being in my car.

And as far as it only starting in second gear..i find that hard to believe...and might just be a freak coincidence.

Also: how old/new is your battery.
Old 09-18-2004, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car not starting (Built2Spill)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Built2Spill &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My first guess would be the starter depending on mileage/year of the motor... the starter in my B18c went bad after only 3 months of being in my car.

And as far as it only starting in second gear..i find that hard to believe...and might just be a freak coincidence.

Also: how old/new is your battery.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was thinking starter as well but you can hear the starter click when you try to start it. I thought if they were bad you wouldnt hear them click when you try and turn the car on?

And I thought the second gear thing was a coincidence too until about the 20th time of me running through N, 1, 2 starts and it working. I could try to start my car in any other configuration and it wouldnt work.

I believe the battery is about 18 months old or so? I dont remember if I got a new battery when I did my swap or not, lol. Thanks for the quick reply.
Old 09-18-2004, 10:49 AM

which components of your starting system have you checked so far?
check battery terminals and charge, starter, ignition system...
Old 09-18-2004, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car not starting (94JDMEG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94JDMEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">which components of your starting system have you checked so far?
check battery terminals and charge, starter, ignition system... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Easiest way to check the starter and ignition system? Is there a tool I can buy or something? Thanks.
Old 09-18-2004, 11:41 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

there are 2 wires that go to the starter

#1 is the positive cable
#2 is the ignition wire

you could check to see if your starter is good by manually connecting the two with a wire. make sure you be careful doing this cause it does spark.
Old 09-18-2004, 01:53 PM

your starter turns the engine over. when it clicks its actually coming from the starter, yur starter is probably bad, chk if you have 12 volts to the starter, but the easy test is to tap on the starter while a friend is trying to start the car if it starts u need a starter.
Old 09-18-2004, 01:57 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car not starting (wizardboy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wizardboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">your starter turns the engine over. when it clicks its actually coming from the starter, yur starter is probably bad, chk if you have 12 volts to the starter, but the easy test is to tap on the starter while a friend is trying to start the car if it starts u need a starter.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah that's lay mans approach. what happens your starter gets heatsoaked and if you got oxidized wires or to high or to low amprege reading chances are on the second start it will just click. Clean your starter and battery terminals, recheck the grounds. If doesn't start get it tested see if you get abnormal amprege readings.