Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car not starting

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car not starting

Alrighty. New here.

I just bought a '98 honda civic coupe from a private seller. Didn't exactly know what to look for so I brought one of my friends who works at car dealership. Turns out he didn't look at it close enough.

The car was running fine when we went to look at it and driving it home. That night my boyfriend came over to test drive it and it wouldn't start up.

We got the guys at NAPA to check the voltage on the battery. It was running lower than it should be.

We suspected it needed a new alternator. So we got a new one, replaced it, and the car still isn't running after sitting idle for a few minutes. When we tested the voltage on the battery while it sat idle (this is after putting the new alternator in) it was still running low.

Can anyone give me any ideas as to what is wrong with it and how to fix it?

I have no idea what to do.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:19 PM

Default Re: Car not starting (Sparks23)

If you have an old battery that could be it. I try to look for the most simple and cost effective solution when things don't work like they should. You might tell these guys the voltage reading you're getting. Also are the belts tight?
Old 07-31-2007, 04:25 PM

Default Re: Car not starting (Daveys_pal)

I just bought a new battery. I'm letting it get a good charge before putting it in, which will be within the new half hour.

The voltage reading is around 10-11V
Old 07-31-2007, 04:28 PM
Global Moderator

Received 420 Likes on 390 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Daveys_pal &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you have an old battery that could be it. I try to look for the most simple and cost effective solution when things don't work like they should. Also are the belts tight?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree. Years ago, when my little sister bought a used car, I went to inspect it. It was okay, not great condition; but, decent price. After we went to buy and pick up the car several days later, and brought it home, the car wouldn't start the next day. The seller had changed out the battery to an old one (it wasn't the one I saw in the car, when I inspected it).

-- It can be the battery, the belt tension, or even corroded cables, or corroded ends of the cables.

Edit: So, it's probably not the battery. (I typed too slow.) Check the cables, etc.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:34 PM

Put the new battery in and see how that works. If you've been jumping it off from another car to get it started and replace alternator and battery you should have it kicked and be cruising along. I always put those cheap little rings from WalMart on my battery posts to keep them from corroding. It actually works but is messy when you change your battery again.

I have a problem with a Regal that hasn't gotten bad enough to fix yet. When I use any electrical device ie, blinker, lights, A/C it makes the voltage meter in the dash drop like a rock and the headlights will dim when I use the electric windows. I think I have a short some place. Replaced battery 3 months ago and it still does it but hasn't quit starting yet.

Good luck with your new to you car.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:39 PM

thanks for the help.

If the battery doesn't work I think there might be a short somewhere.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:47 PM

Save your posts you have 5 on your first day and I think you are down to 2 now.

If the battery doesn't work, fully describe what is happening. List all sounds, smells listen for the fuel pump to pressurize the system stuff like that also is it starting and stopping. I am not the most knowledgable about cars but many of the people on here are and they seem to be very helpful if given enough information about the symptoms you are encountering.