Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car noise + questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 06:13 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car noise + questions

I am a car beginner. I want help diagnosing this problem please so I can describe it to the mechanic a little better, and I have other questions too.

While driving my Honda civic automatic with a recently replaced engine and radiator, I started hearing this weird chirping/flapping noise (not squealing) whenever I stepped on the gas pedal. When the car shifts into higher gears the noise gets louder. There is little or no noise when not stepping on the gas pedal.

1. Is this frayed belt causing the noise? It's not the timing belt, but a belt lower than it. I tried looking in the service manual. Maybe it is the A/C belt? A strip of the top layer of the belt is peeling off and is frayed at the end. How big of a problem is this? Here is a picture:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/833/belt1l.jpg/

2. Should I not accelerate jerkily with a new engine? (50K miles, used Japanese engine) Will it be more likely to break a belt or something? Or would you do the opposite and push the engine as much as possible to bring out any problems while the engine is still under warranty?

3. The engine is still "under warranty" for parts and labor, so I will probably bring it back. Should I ask the mechanic about replacing anything else if I bring my car to him? The invoice of the original engine installation says the following parts have been replaced already: timing belt, thermostat with gasket, water pump, cam seal, crank seal, rear main seal, intake gasket, valve cover gasket, oil filter.

4. I am also wondering whether or not the AC stopped working after the engine got replaced, but it has always been weak. It it common for the AC to stop working after engine replacement, and is it easy to do AC work when doing engine work?

5. A youtube video I watched about driving safety recommended glancing at your rear view mirror about every three seconds to be aware of the situation around you. Is this good advice?

6. Someone told me you can position your side mirrors so you don't have to look over your shoulder to check your blind spot. Is that true and is it good advice?

7. I am thinking about starting to do my own oil changes. Is it safer to use 4 jack stands instead of 2? If I only want to jack one end of the car up, is it still possible / safe to use 4 jack stands ? Is my trunk scissors jack fine to start, or should I get a wal mart jack or a $100+ jack online?
Old 07-19-2011, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Car noise + questions

The squeak / squeal is the belt, replace it. If it still squeals, maybe Water pump.