Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car makin funny sound

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car makin funny sound

I have a 1999 si coupe with a b18c1 bottom end and b16 head and b16 tranny and exedy stage2 clutch and when i am siting at a idle in Neutral my car makes a griding kind of sound but when i push the clutch in and go to put it in gear it stops and if i put it back in Neutral its starts the sound again when im off the clutch. i hered it might be my throughout bearing?
Old 04-03-2007, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car makin funny sound (19CivicSi99)

I would factor out a faulty throw out bearing if you are not having any problems with shifting or clutch feel. My buddy once had a piece of his clutch disk break off and it was making a horrible chattering sound. He drove it that way until it locked in gear.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Car makin funny sound (maynards_ek)

mine did that, was the throwout bearing
Old 04-03-2007, 09:01 PM

Default Re: Car makin funny sound (19CivicSi99)

alright, here goes

Does the sound stop as soon you put the clutch in? if it does, its not the TOB, when you let the clutch out, does the sound start? Does it do it in neutral, and in gear? If so, its probably you ISB (input shaft bearing).
Old 04-03-2007, 09:32 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Car makin funny sound (sol2hatch)

Just get a new clutch/flywheel. Replace the throwout bearing AND input shaft bearing. IMO they should be done with every routine clutch install. Obviously you wouldn't replace them if they've been replaced within 30k miles.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:47 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sol2hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">alright, here goes

Does the sound stop as soon you put the clutch in? if it does, its not the TOB, when you let the clutch out, does the sound start? Does it do it in neutral, and in gear? If so, its probably you ISB (input shaft bearing). </TD></TR></TABLE>

well the throw out bearing has no load or pressure on it with the clutch OUT. So, it can make a lot of noise if its bad in this situation.

It can also make noise when the clutch pedal is depressed (like me, when i found out there were no more cookies in the cabinet), the throw out bearing has pressure on it...and can also make noise in certain (rare) situations.

The input shaft bearing IS INSIDE THE TRANSMISSION and can also be the culprit, but that would be on decelleration usually with the clutch engaged (OUT) in gear.

The pilot bearing is actually a bushing that the input shaft rides on (located behind the flywheel) ....if its bad, it will make noise all the time.

You're most likely looking at a bad Throw out bearing.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car makin funny sound (B serious)

This is VERY simple. When you push in the clutch the transmission STOPS spinning, and the TOB IS spinning.

If the noise stops when you push the pedal down, it is coming from the trans. because the trans is not spinning. (usually the input bearing)

When you push the pedal down, this is when the TOB is carrying load. If there is noise WHEN YOU PUSH THE PEDAL DOWN, it is the TOB. (these sometines do have a chirpping sound when your foot is off the pedal, but it goes away when you <U>just touch it</U>. This is from where the fork and TOB touch each other. If there was no grease applied to the contact points, it will sometimes do this.)

BTW, when the clutch is engadged (foot off the pedal) the trans and motor are spinning at the same RPM. The pilot bearing IS NOT spinning at these times. The pilot only spins when the trans and engine are not spinning together. I.E. when the clutch is released. (pedal is pressed down)

I've seen this MANY MANY times, as I have sold clutches all day long for almost seven years now....if you have any clutch problem, I've probly seen it more than once.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:07 PM

Default Re: Car makin funny sound (ek forever guy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just get a new clutch/flywheel. Replace the throwout bearing AND input shaft bearing. IMO they should be done with every routine clutch install. Obviously you wouldn't replace them if they've been replaced within 30k miles.</TD></TR></TABLE>

are you insane, change all that, when its just one of them causing the problem, and no one in their right mind would change the ISB every time you got a new clutch. Thats insane. The ISB is kind of a PITA to do yourself, and a shop would charge out the ***. <TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

well the throw out bearing has no load or pressure on it with the clutch OUT. So, it can make a lot of noise if its bad in this situation.

It can also make noise when the clutch pedal is depressed (like me, when i found out there were no more cookies in the cabinet), the throw out bearing has pressure on it...and can also make noise in certain (rare) situations.

The input shaft bearing IS INSIDE THE TRANSMISSION and can also be the culprit, but that would be on decelleration usually with the clutch engaged (OUT) in gear.

The pilot bearing is actually a bushing that the input shaft rides on (located behind the flywheel) ....if its bad, it will make noise all the time.

You're most likely looking at a bad Throw out bearing. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Wrong. TOB=noise with clutch in. ISB=noise with clutch out, in gear, or in neutral. Zeusfire69 is correct. And the ISB makes noise whenever the tranny spins, not just on decel.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:21 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sol2hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

are you insane, change all that, when its just one of them causing the problem, and no one in their right mind would change the ISB every time you got a new clutch. Thats insane. The ISB is kind of a PITA to do yourself, and a shop would charge out the ***.
.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's why I implied in maintenance. Not everytime you replaced a clutch, that would be silly. But they do wear out after 60-100k miles of driving depending on the driver. ROUTINE clutches are replaced every 60-70k While you're in there anyway, might as well replace those bearings. Once you're got the clutch off it's not much more work for the other two.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:32 PM

Default Re: Car makin funny sound (ek forever guy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That's why I implied in maintenance. Not everytime you replaced a clutch, that would be silly. But they do wear out after 60-100k miles of driving depending on the driver. ROUTINE clutches are replaced every 60-70k While you're in there anyway, might as well replace those bearings. Once you're got the clutch off it's not much more work for the other two.</TD></TR></TABLE>

well, i guess that depends on how long your clutch last. Mine dont last that long, lol. And even then, the ISB usually doesnt go bad until well past the 100k mark. And the ISB is quite a bit more work to do, even after you get to the clutch and stuff. The ISB is INSIDE the tranny, its not something to mess with unless it is making noise. Just my OP.