Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

00 SI, Need suggestions on spring rates!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 00 SI, Need suggestions on spring rates!!

Hey all, im ordering the gc koni yellow setup for my 00 SI. All four will come with top hats. Let me give you guys the info... This car is my daily driver, but I will be autox once in a while. Ride comfort isnt as important to me as performance and handling. I also want the car low enough to hide any fender gap. I recently had 325/250 rates (stock rates) but when I lowered my car to a 1 finger gap, I had barely an inch of suspension travel. Roads where I drive are somewhat bumpy. (Santa Cruz) Wheels are 205/45/16

So with that info.... What rates would you guys recommend for front and rears? I was thinking 500f/400r, but I asked thmotorsports, (guy who is selling me the gc/koni) he said that it was way too stiff. He recommended me 380f/450r. Now i know having a stiffer rear is good for oversteer, but for some reason I feel like the car needs higher rates in the front. Anyways, what do you guys think? (Btw the 325/250 rates i had before handled great for the way I drive, but I was really worried about suspension travel) Anyways sorry for the long post, thanks for reading.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 00 SI, Need suggestions on spring rates!! (riceforlife)

Come on guys, I need to know by tomorrow. Our cars 92-00 civics pretty much all weigh the same, so im sure u guys have some experienced knowledge on spring rates!!
Old 12-18-2007, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

whats your sway bar setup?

the springs you choose go hand in hand with the swaybars.

also if i am not mistaken, the factory springs for the 99-00 si is 201/99.8 lb/in f/r
Old 12-18-2007, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (thisisntjared)

Stock swaybar
Old 12-18-2007, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (riceforlife)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by riceforlife &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Stock swaybar</TD></TR></TABLE>sway bars as in plural? if you plan on sticking with both factory sway bars then i would take the recommendations of 380/450 anything over 450 and you are approaching the limits of most quality ots shock absorbers, even koni yellows.

if you were to get an itr rear swaybar(or anything that is more than half the thickness of the front bar), i would say a stronger rate in the front would be acceptable again. thats me though, i like my cars with what i think is a neutral balance
Old 12-18-2007, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (thisisntjared)

thanks for your opinion =D

Would you say that 450f/400-350r is street drivable? When I say street drivable I mean will I be bouncing and losing traction....

Comfort.... who cares =D
rear swaybar... for the future

Modified by riceforlife at 11:42 PM 12/18/2007

Modified by riceforlife at 11:43 PM 12/18/2007
Old 12-19-2007, 04:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (riceforlife)

in my 94 cx hatch (a little over 2000 lbs w/o me) i had koni yellows with neuspeed race springs which were 450/360, but they were progressive, so that aided in the daily driving.. i had an integra front sway bar and an itr rear sway bar. it was very streetable, very neutral, and still handled better than any other car i have owned.

in an si if you are looking to push the limits of what is safe on the street while not caring about comfort i think something in the range you mentioned should be ok even if its a linear rate, especially since the si weighs more.

ive always been a firm believer that you should have your spring rates distributed like the cars weight distribution, then you tailor the cars understeer/oversteer with the swaybars.

as a point of reference, the oem itr springs are linear and 250/250, so while that blows my theory out of the water, it gives a good point to show what a car that handles amazingly from the factory defaults to with a linear rate. did you post this in the suspension forum or auto-x forum yet? they might be able to give more informative opinions. i just auto-x from time to time and i am not really that good