Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

car keeps dying ... alt problem? battery problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car keeps dying ... alt problem? battery problem?

hey something's wrong i don't know what but i have an idea .... i left my car lights for about 6 hours while at work about 2 weeks ago and the battery obviously died ... i got it jumped from mall security and then drove it home (40 minutes drive) then about a few days later i left the lights on for about 15 minutes while tryin to install a buzzer that lets me know that the lights are on ... car died there had to push start it down my driveway ... than again when i was at a gas station i turned the engine off left the cd player on and the a/c for all of 5 minutes while i pumped gas ... i got back in the car it was dead! so embarassing i was in my town with my shorty in the car lol (that's why i left eh a/c on) anyway gladly the gas station was on a slight hill ... so i push started it after sweating my ***** off cuz it was hot as hell lol ... a few days ago my deck would just shut off while playing a cd and then it would come back on by itself after about 3 seconds but very rarely would this happen .. today it happened like 3 times in a row i had the a/c on and my lights .. and when it happened the a/c light went from bright green to dark to off and my headlights were dimming ... all dash lights dimmed n went back on like the car was about to cut off ... i was waiting at a red light when it did it alot then when i started speeding up it didn't flicker at all ... then i got home sat in my driveway for about 10 minutes with everything off and the key out the ignition ... and the car wouldn't start back up .. it was DEAD!!! is this a battery problem ? is it not holding a charge? so should i get another or could it be something else? i just got my car about 2 months ago ... so it could possibly be an old battery ... but why would it flicker n stuff while the car is running? battery is only used to store power when car is off right? alternator is used when car is running .. please help thanx ... o yea and sometimes my windows go up REALLY slow and sometimes they go up fast ... this is prolly all related so im just linking it altogether ...

Modified by ibe2fly at 1:48 AM 5/24/2004
Old 05-23-2004, 09:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

might wanna check that alt. belt. my car did the same thing when the belt came loose.
Old 05-23-2004, 09:49 PM

Default Re: (JDMlifestyle)

thx ill check the belt t0morrow
Old 05-23-2004, 10:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (ibe2fly)

switch out the battery since you let it drain several times and see how that goes or you might even have a loose groud/power cable. worst would be your alternator.
Old 05-23-2004, 10:17 PM

Default Re: (=GAMEOVA=)

loose ground or power cable for the deck ... ok but that wouldn't cause the headlights n dash to dim would it? and the windows too? def gonna get a new batt hopefully that's all it is right now
Old 05-24-2004, 12:13 AM

Default Re: car keeps dying ... alt problem? battery problem? (ibe2fly)

question i was shopping for batteries .... i noticed there are batteries for the north and for the south ..... i got my car from Virginia ... obviously a south state and I live in NY, a north state ... would this possibly be a cause of my problem?
Old 05-24-2004, 11:50 AM

i just thought of something ... perhaps my buzzer is taking up too much battery i checked all the belts and they seem to be fine ... im going to take off the buzzer that i installed on this post ...https://honda-tech.com/zero...age=1
i pushed my car all the way up my driveway now no energy to drive it, push started it up once but too tired so i turned it off after about 5 mins ... within that 5 mins the deck cut off twice i had on the AC full blast with the blower on feet and head .... that's the latest ....
Old 05-24-2004, 12:00 PM

....my BRAIN
Old 05-24-2004, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car keeps dying ... alt problem? battery problem? (I'll cut ya!)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by I'll cut ya! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">....my BRAIN</TD></TR></TABLE> That was very funny for some reason. I think you should check your battery terminals first, make sure that they are very secure. Also check that there is no corrosion and if so clean it up and spray some of that anti-corrosion metal spray onto the corroded area. The next thing i'd say to do is take your battery to an advance auto parts or another auto parts store similiar to that and have them charge it for you. Leave it there for about 30 mins 45 at the most. Take it home and install it, run it for the day and if the problem persists then i'd say get a new battery. And also like somebody else said the worst it could probably be is the altenator. But I had problems like this before and it was just a corroded ground wire in my fuse box, that also wasn't screwed down all the way.

Oh yea, and sorry about your car breakin down while ya girl was in it, that sucks...but hopefully she understands
Good luck
Old 05-24-2004, 12:24 PM

The difference in the Northern and Southern batteries has to do with the way there built, Each one will handle the different climents better then the other depending on which way you go. An easy way to check your alternator tho is to start the car, while its running take off the positive battery terminal, If the alternator is working like it should be the car will keep running otherwise it will die because it isent outputing power like it should, watch for the lights to dim too, Sometimes it is normal for the lights to dim tho if your running the A/c and Radio and lights ext because its too much of a load for the alternator to handle all at once, so test it with nothing on and turn a few things on one at a time. Also if you goto autozone they can ussually check your battery/alternator for free without having to take it out of the vehical.......