Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

car jerking

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car jerking

Ok I have had my car for a year now. It is a 99 civic ex with a 5 speed. I will be driving it and the check engine light will come on. THe code that it is reading is a idle air control vavlve error. Now from what I have read the cars idle should raise and lower when you have a problem with the IACV. But it does not, what it does is every time I touch the gas pedal the car kind of jerks and then it will do the same when I let off the gas pedal. But if I push in the clutch it will not jerk when I let off of the gas and push in the gas.

So I took off the IACV and cleaned it really good. It still did the problem. So I broke down and got a new one for 170 and put it on. It still does it. SO I dont think that it could be the IACV.

It also starts to do this problem and throw the code when I make tight corners like u turns.

Could this have something to do with the transmission or the clutch. It is driving me crazy I just cant find out what is wrong, does anyone know a solution?
Old 12-29-2005, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I really wnat to know too, someone help him out too. the jerk thinging is really annoying. I remember back then i fixed the problem, it was because i was using a ls ecu (i have a 96 lx) then i bought a dx ecu and put it in and ran normal again. but since i swapped the motor to an ls now it's doing it again so i want to know too.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car jerking (dmelhorn)

i got major mudbutt
Old 12-29-2005, 05:17 PM

Does anyone know please I need some help. I saw one thing that said it could be the crank position sensor. Could this be causing the jerking.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:39 PM

Default Re: (dmelhorn)

sorry to ressurect a dead thread, but i am having the same issue as the above posters, and im wondering if anyone has come up with a successful fix.

to jog your memories, the problem is a sudden jerk when the gas is pressed, and then an opposite jerk when the pedal is released. it makes it very hard to maintain a constant speed while driving (no acceleration or decceleration), and its challenging to move gracefully from a stop.

i get a code 14 as well, and have replaced the iacv with a known good unit. tps has also been replaced, with no change.

what can trigger a code 14 besides the sensor?

car is an 89 civic hatch with a d16z6, converted to obd1

thanks!
Old 08-31-2006, 08:28 PM

Default Re: (ecovillain)

see... I have the same thing in my car. My ecu is throwing a knock sensor code. I have changed the knock snesor *well, got it done* and it is still throwing the code.

My car doesn't jerk all the time... but when it does, it makes me look like I can't drive. It makes acceleration like an on/off switch... nothing can be smooth.

My boyfriend wants to downgrade to obd-something and put a different ecu in it that will not let that code get thrown.

I am tired of the jerking... help me.

Old 08-31-2006, 10:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dmelhorn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok I have had my car for a year now. It is a 99 civic ex with a 5 speed. I will be driving it and the check engine light will come on. THe code that it is reading is a idle air control vavlve error. Now from what I have read the cars idle should raise and lower when you have a problem with the IACV. But it does not, what it does is every time I touch the gas pedal the car kind of jerks and then it will do the same when I let off the gas pedal. But if I push in the clutch it will not jerk when I let off of the gas and push in the gas.

So I took off the IACV and cleaned it really good. It still did the problem. So I broke down and got a new one for 170 and put it on. It still does it. SO I dont think that it could be the IACV.

It also starts to do this problem and throw the code when I make tight corners like u turns.

Could this have something to do with the transmission or the clutch. It is driving me crazy I just cant find out what is wrong, does anyone know a solution?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

&lt;--- same problem
Old 08-31-2006, 10:26 PM

the distributer cap ...

if you have advanced you timeing de-advance it .. it worked for me ....

Old 09-01-2006, 11:57 PM

someone else said vacuum leak or throttle body gasket.

Those make any sense?

My car doesn't do it all the time... just sometimes.

in fact, some days it is great. some it is bad.

sometimes it is good until I have been driving for a while, then it starts its crap.

i dont like it. not at all.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:44 AM

Default Re: car jerking (si_kitty)

Maybe I am way off but could this be a Cap/Rotor?? Or plugs/wires? Just guessing.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:34 AM

Default Re: car jerking (95TEG)

well, what gear were/are you in when this jerking happens? i thought cars naturally jerk when you stay in gear and give or let off gas pedal. the jerk becomes less noticeable the higher the gear is. it's not noticeable for me on the highway when i'm in third or fourth, i just accelerate and declerate without notice. however, first and second are jerky when i give and let off gas, first gear being more jerky than second of course.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:04 AM

change your plugs, plug wires and dizzy.