Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car Idling Weird....can you help me?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2003, 02:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Idling Weird....can you help me?

First off let me start with my setup....its a 95 DX with stock d15b7 motor with greddy turbo kit. Instead of the blue box i went with the check valves and fmu (which probably turned out to be the problem). Anyways i was driving along tonight and when i left my work i drove about 1/2 mile and the car was totally fine. Then i noticed that when i let off the gas to coast and then got back on the gas it would hesitate (or not even react) to a little push on the gas. I had to give a little more (maybe a little less than 1/4 throttle) and then it would finally start going. Then when i slowed down for a stop light my car stuttered and died out. It started up fine but the idle was really really rough....not jumpy, but rough. I had to stay on the gas pedal during the whole stop light to keep the engine idling at 2000 rpms to even stay on. Then i noticed when i started driving my a/f gauge said totally rich and a lot of smoke coming out of my exhaust. I stopped at my g/f's house which was probably one mile since this whole ordeal started and when i stopped the car and opened the hood alot of smoke was coming out from behind the intake manifold (against the firewall). I totally assumed it was a vacuum leak the whole time and i was right. one of the check valves had fallen off so i thought i could just connect it back and it'd be all good. the idle had gotten alot better but still idled a little rough than normal. I'm assuming theres another leak that i'd have to find. Basically my questions are:

1) Does this sound like JUST a vacuum leak?
2) Is it normal for the car to run very very rich when there is a vacuum leak? (It makes sense since the air is escaping from the engine only leaving fuel but i'm gonna ask and check anyways)
3) Why did my car smoke really really bad? Out of the exhaust and also out of my engine bay? Is this anyway related to the leak?
4) Whats the easiest way to find vacuum leaks?

Any help that you can provide is greatly appeciated! and please post any info no matter how minute you may think it is. Thanks all!!
Old 10-18-2003, 07:47 AM

check your map sensor, make sure it in all the way....
Old 10-18-2003, 08:53 AM

Default Re: (BlkSIvic)

make sure its all the way in what? the tb? its screwed in fine. can anyone else help answer my questions?
Old 10-18-2003, 10:35 AM

yeah the throttle body
how many check valves are you using?
Old 10-18-2003, 11:47 PM

Default Re: (BlkSIvic)

acutally i'm not using the map sensor on the tb....i still have that one screwed in securely on the tb and i have an extra one that the harness is plugged into. i'm running 5 check valves because of the fact that i throw engine light with 4.

Anyways....heres some new info.....i replaced a couple vacuum lines and now it idles a little better but stutters every now and then and i noticed that when it does my a/f gauge drops in fuel (i.e. - if its in rich it will drop to stoich when it stutters or if its in stoich it'll drop to lean when it stutters)

Is it possible its my plugs, wires, or maybe even fuel pump? I'm using the stock fuel pump with a msd inline.