Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car hesitates during acceleration on 1st and 2nd gear, then gets going 2secs later.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car hesitates during acceleration on 1st and 2nd gear, then gets going 2secs later.

Hello, I once again need help. Thank you to for your time. I have learned so much from H-T members here.

Awhile back I purchased a 1996 Civic EX with 75K miles just to learn more about cars. I replaced the water pump and at the same time replaced the timing belt. Not sure when the problem started occurring, but my biggest issue with the car is that it is slow to acceleration on 1st and 2nd gear. This only occurs 50% of the time. Let me explain the problem; while sitting at a dead stop, if I accelerate , the car gets going but then it hesitates. During hesitation, the car speed and rpm maintains itself, I then press the gas pedal more, but the car does not accelerate until one or two seconds later then BAM it real goes and accelerates suddenly like a big strong jerk of speed. This problem does not happen on a consistent basis, just intermittently. It does not happen in any other gear; just 1st and 2nd. Honestly, it is starting to worry me. I very scared crossing a busy intersection without a stop light.

The car only has 75,000 miles and it was neglected by previous owners
I replaced the cap, rotor and wires over the weekend. Still the problem persist. The old rotor had a black burn mark on left side of the contact end.
I replaced the fuel filter, this resolve the low erratic idle.

I have not checked timing because I don't know how to use a timing gun. I would like to buy a timing gun, can I go wrong buying a Craftsman? This can be another thread.

I don't know what else to do to repair the hesitation. Please don't say I could have installed the timing belt incorrectly. I am 100% sure the cam pulley is pointing up and the left and right marks on the pulley line up with the head. I am not sure if the oil pump pulley is lined up though. I have to take off the crankshaft pulley to line up the oil pump arrows together. I don't want to have to pull of the head cover, crankshaft pulley etc unless it is sure to be the problem. Should I try timing the engine with a gun first or do I need to realign the timing belt? Could this be a fuel pump issue? If it is timing or fuel pump, why does it not happen during 3, 4, 5 gear?

Thank you for educating me.

Ariel

Old 03-28-2005, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car hesitates during acceleration on 1st and 2nd gear, then gets going 2secs later. (arielb1)

I would check the timing to begin with. Not sure if you can do it with the timing belt cover on...so be prepared to remove some things again. I had a similar problem with my Integra a few months ago, the car bogging (and stalling sometimes too). After tons of troubleshooting, it ended up being the Primary O2 sensor. Once the sensor was changed out, the bogging went away. Hope this helps, but be prepared to do some more work
Old 03-28-2005, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car hesitates during acceleration on 1st and 2nd gear, then gets going 2secs later. (Quiks66)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Quiks66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would check the timing to begin with. Not sure if you can do it with the timing belt cover on...so be prepared to remove some things again. I had a similar problem with my Integra a few months ago, the car bogging (and stalling sometimes too). After tons of troubleshooting, it ended up being the Primary O2 sensor. Once the sensor was changed out, the bogging went away. Hope this helps, but be prepared to do some more work </TD></TR></TABLE>

Dido. This was my problem as-well. I assume you're not throwing codes?
Old 03-28-2005, 08:15 AM

Default Re: Car hesitates during acceleration on 1st and 2nd gear, then gets going 2secs later. (Quiks66)

Wow long post. I didnt read all of it so forgive me if you already covered this: What kind of car is it? Auto? Manual?

This happened with my car as well. I had to replace my fuel pump and clean my injectors. hope that helps.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:46 AM
KSE

Default Re: Car hesitates during acceleration on 1st and 2nd gear, then gets going 2secs later. (arielb1)

bump for the EXACT same problem... could this have anything to do with the recalls on the throttle cable?

Oh and Ive replaced the fuel filter, distributor cap, rotor, spark plug wires and plugs. Didnt change a thing.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car hesitates during acceleration on 1st and 2nd gear, then gets going 2secs later. (KSE)

It surprises me an 02 sensor could cause this havoc.

Could the oil pump not being lined up cause this? Maybe I will change the O2 sensor first. Is it the primary that I should change? It is the one mounted on the exhaust manifold if I recall. I can get an O2 sensor from AutoZone cheap I think.

No codes or check engine light.

thanks all
Old 03-28-2005, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

got the same damn prob...motor gets lazy around 2-2.5 rpms and then it kicks in hard.., and the auto zone O2(universal) is garbage..dies in like 3k miles got one, hate it
Old 03-28-2005, 10:45 AM

Default Re: Car hesitates during acceleration on 1st and 2nd gear, then gets going 2secs later. (KSE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KSE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bump for the EXACT same problem... could this have anything to do with the recalls on the throttle cable? </TD></TR></TABLE>
No way !
Old 03-28-2005, 10:51 AM

Default Re: Car hesitates during acceleration on 1st and 2nd gear, then gets going 2secs later. (alotawatts)

My mini me swap does this sometimes too.... It also seems to almost back fire during this once ina while... But then again, I'm running in "safe mode" and im throwing some cel's (havent checked which ones yet) until I rewire it all.
Old 10-22-2019, 01:28 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Car hesitates during acceleration on 1st and 2nd gear, then gets going 2secs late

Did you ever find out what was wrong?? I have a 2013 Civic that does the same thing intermittently. Stays at an idle for 1 or 2 sec and then .goes.
Had in a Honda shop for 5 days and they could not find what was wrong. No codes. Getting worse!
Old 10-23-2019, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Re: Car hesitates during acceleration on 1st and 2nd gear, then gets going 2secs late

tps was my issue.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=honda-tech...tion&ia=videos