Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car Hesitant to Crank. Relay?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 04:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car Hesitant to Crank. Relay?

Lately I've been having a small problem that's beginning to get a little bit larger.

When I try to turn the key to start, there is a delay before the car will turn over and start. When it does finally turn over, it starts right up. Sometimes it only lasts a second or two, but this morning it took about 20 second before turning over. Before long, I'm sure it will not fire up at all and leave me stranded.

Anyong had this problem before? I'm guessing the main relay from my experiences with my 90 civic. Is there a way to test the relay before I buy another?

Thanks in advance,

Mike
Old 05-19-2005, 06:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Car Hesitant to Crank. Relay? (slowexcoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slowexcoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Lately I've been having a small problem that's beginning to get a little bit larger.

When I try to turn the key to start, there is a delay before the car will turn over and start. When it does finally turn over, it starts right up. Sometimes it only lasts a second or two, but this morning it took about 20 second before turning over. Before long, I'm sure it will not fire up at all and leave me stranded.

Anyong had this problem before? I'm guessing the main relay from my experiences with my 90 civic. Is there a way to test the relay before I buy another?

Thanks in advance,

Mike</TD></TR></TABLE>

Takes a while for the engine to finally turn over? Is your starter gettin' enough juice from your battery? Is everythin' wired (or even grounded) properly? Check your starter (have starter motor or starter solenoid checked out) or check your battery.

Create a jumper lead from your battery to your starter. If 5 speed MT, remove from any gear. Remove smaller wire from starter solenoid. Put wire from battery's positive post to starter input of starter solenoid. See if that turns the engine over or not. If you want to fully start the engine, put key in and turn to on position. (Again, make sure it's out of gear.)
Old 05-19-2005, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car Hesitant to Crank. Relay? (MDJ IKNJ)

Maybe i didn't explain well enough. When I turn the key to start, nothing happens for a few seconds. The dash lights go off and the blower cuts off just like they're supposed to, just there is a delay before the engine starts to turn over.

It only does it 2 or 3 times a week, but the delay is getting longer. I'm getting worried that one day it won't start all together.

Mike
Old 05-20-2005, 05:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car Hesitant to Crank. Relay? (slowexcoupe)

It was the relay ( I think)

I removed it and touched up the solder connections. A few were cracked and corroded. It started fine this morning.

Only time will tell if I solved the problem

Mike
Old 05-20-2005, 06:10 AM

usually the main relay just causes the car to not start, i remember when my main relay was screwed, the engine would turn over fine, just wouldnt start. Usually on hot days because then the relay gets heated up and expands
Old 05-20-2005, 06:47 AM
Electrician

Indeed, the relay tends to break down over time. You either need to fix the connections or get another one.
Old 05-23-2005, 05:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dimitri_EG8 a.k.a. Dimi)

I spoke too soon. The car is acting up again.

Mike
Old 05-23-2005, 05:55 AM

Default Re: (slowexcoupe)

my car is acting like yours sometimes it cranks then everything stops for a sec then you hear a loud tick b4 it starts up. keep me posted if you get your ralay fixed and everything is fine after that. another thing my car do is while im driving on sometime my car dies on me like it stalls but im on 3rd gear! is that one of the other symptom when its really bad??? btw my car is a 94 civic si.
Old 05-23-2005, 06:10 AM

Default Re: (HmongEG)

from what I understand the relay is the one that controls the fuel pump, correct me if im wrong. It seems like your battery is getting weaker, or your starter is failing. If you battery gets weak, and you dont get any cranking amps, its not good or as strong to turn that motor over. so do get ur battery checked with a load tester. If its good, then remove your starter and have it checked at autozone of something, i believe theres also an amperage measurements that is required to be considered good or a bad starter. good luck dude
Old 05-23-2005, 08:48 PM

Default Re: (Toxidomask)

Sounds to be most likely a weak battery, but may also be the starter getting worn out.