Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

car heats up then gets cold **searched can't narrow it down**

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car heats up then gets cold **searched can't narrow it down**

'93 Civic DX that is bone stock except for an aem intake

Started by the car not heating up all the way and the heater not blowing very cold at all and then yesterday morning I was on the way to work and it was an hour drive, for the first half hour the car was acting like before, not blowing all that hot and then for the last half hour of the trip the temp went all the way down to cold and the heater obviously wasn't blowing hot at all anymore....so today I went to Honda bought a t stat and went to change it and discovered that the previous person had taken the t stat all the way out, then while putting coolant back in noticed that the rad had a huge hole in it so I grabbed one I had laying around that was good and put it in cuz i don't thinks its a good idea to drive around with a hole in the rad...anyways filled it up with coolant and ran out to do some things driving for about an hour total and the car was fine heated up to normal temp a civic would and heater was blowing hotter then ever, then got home and car sat for about an hour and when i left to go to the gym, bout a 20 min drive car never left cold again, on the way home from the gym it was acting like it did before i changed the t stat and rad was only heating partially. So i thought maybe the fan switch was bad becuz when i had the hood up and was checking coolant levels and such i noticed the fan was running constantly, changed the fan switch and i had a repeat of when the car was in my drive way idling for abot 10 mins it heated up good and was blowing hot air then i took it for a 10 min drive and same thing happened again, it went back down to partially hot. I'm lost please help!

sorry for the long read
I just bought this car too
Old 11-06-2007, 03:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump

any suggestions for what I can try next?
Old 11-06-2007, 03:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what do you mean it went back down to partially hot?
are you saying its stuck on COLD or stuck between cold and hot?

I mean it's supposed to be "partially hot"

did you fill the radiator with the car on and let it run for a while?

and if you're car is standing still the fan is supposed to come on..so that wouldnt be your fan malfunctioning.

have you checked here?
Old 11-06-2007, 04:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^ i mean it went back down to somewhere between normal operate temp and cold, and yea i filled the rad with the car running and prolly let it run for a good 15 mins while doing so.

Thanks for the link, I just put a new t stat in yesterday. What are the odds of a brand new t stat being bad? Is there anything else that would cause the t stat to stay stuck open besides itself?

Old 11-06-2007, 04:31 AM
HRD PKR

Default Re: car heats up then gets cold **searched can't narrow it down** (wrayzor)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wrayzor &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">'93 Civic DX that is bone stock except for an aem intake

Started by the car not heating up all the way and the heater not blowing very cold at all. first of all the heater blows hot not called and then yesterday morning I was on the way to work and it was an hour drive, for the first half hour the car was acting like before, not blowing all that hot and then for the last half hour of the trip the temp went all the way down to cold and the heater obviously wasn't blowing hot at all anymore....so today I went to Honda bought a t stat and went to change it and discovered that the previous person had taken the t stat all the way out, then while putting coolant back in noticed that the rad had a huge hole in it so I grabbed one I had laying around that was good and put it in cuz i don't thinks its a good idea to drive around with a hole in the rad...anyways filled it up with coolant and ran out to do some things driving for about an hour total and the car was fine heated up to normal temp a civic would and heater was blowing hotter then ever, then got home and car sat for about an hour and when i left to go to the gym, bout a 20 min drive car never left cold again, on the way home from the gym it was acting like it did before i changed the t stat and rad was only heating partially. So i thought maybe the fan switch was bad becuz when i had the hood up and was checking coolant levels and such i noticed the fan was running constantly,normalchanged the fan switch and i had a repeat of when the car was in my drive way idling for abot 10 mins it heated up good and was blowing hot air then i took it for a 10 min drive and same thing happened again, it went back down to partially hot. I'm lost please help!

sorry for the long read
I just bought this car too</TD></TR></TABLE>

did you happen to install the thermostat in backwords?
Old 11-06-2007, 05:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: car heats up then gets cold **searched can't narrow it down** (B16B_coupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B16B_coupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">did you happen to install the thermostat in backwords?</TD></TR></TABLE>

wouldn't the car overheat if it was in backwards???
Old 11-06-2007, 07:02 AM
HRD PKR

Default Re: car heats up then gets cold **searched can't narrow it down** (pgpunkguy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pgpunkguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

wouldn't the car overheat if it was in backwards???</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes it would actually...
Old 11-06-2007, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

t stat is installed the right way....other things i thought of would either be dirt in the heater core or the rad hoses collapsing, any thoughts on either of those?

If it were the hoses collapsing how could i check to see if they were?

thanks