Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car does not start after filling up the tank.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car does not start after filling up the tank.

Okay, so i went and filled up my tank today. After the fill up i start my car and everything is fine and i was waiting on a turning lane on a busy street getting ready to turn. My car all of a sudden just died and i can not to get it to start again. Had to tow it home and everything.

I really have no idea what is the problem. I checked my plugs and they are all plugged installed correctly.

The recent things ive dont to my car lately:
Fuel Fillter
Fuel Injector Flush
Cap and Rotor

I filled gas after the fuel filter and it ran fine, so i don't think that would be a problem.

Also, this is the lowest level ive drained my tank to. Usually i fill gas in before i reach the "E". Someone at the gas station told me it could be the dirt from the bottom of the tank being picked up and clogging the pump or the line.

Anyone got any ideas what could be wrong? thanks in advance.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Could be Dirt/grass.

You never let your car get that low inless your racing and dont want a heavy tank.

Dont let it drop below 1/4 of a tank,if you can.

But i dont know,hope someone with more knowledge posts for yah
Old 04-10-2008, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Car does not start after filling up the tank. (shadohconspiracy)

I assume the engine cranks but just won't start. If so, turn the ignition key to on but don't crank the engine. Do you hear the low humming noise of the fuel pump priming in the rear for a few seconds? If not, the main relay that controls the fuel pump may be bad.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car does not start after filling up the tank. (RonJ@HT)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RonJ@HT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I assume the engine cranks but just won't start. If so, turn the ignition key to on but don't crank the engine. Do you hear the low humming noise of the fuel pump priming in the rear for a few seconds? If not, the main relay that controls the fuel pump may be bad.</TD></TR></TABLE>
That's the same thing I would try. The same thing happened on my wife's GTI and the fuel pump was bad.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car does not start after filling up the tank. (RonJ@HT)

yes the motor does crank it just doesnt start. and yes when i turn the key to "ON" it does make the humming noise. i tried opening the throttle while starting too. its trying so hard to start but just can't get there.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do you top it off. alot of people do and it isnt good for your car. if you it to much it will sufficate your fuel pump and just kill it. it might not have been this tank that did it it might have slowwed it down and then the start after this tank caused it to die. +1 on checking you pump just turn the key to on with heater and radio off. you can hear your ecu and fuel pump the ecu will click and the fuel pump will hummm. i always wait for both to start my car.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check for spark at each of the plugs. Remove a plug wire and insert a good plug in the end of the wire. Have a buddy crank the engine while you ground the plug threads against a convenient metallic engine part. You should see a bright spark at the tip. Repeat for each plug wire. If you lack spark, you might have a bad coil or igniter unit in the distributor.

Also check for blown fuses and whether the ground wire on the thermostat housing is tightly connected.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I already checked the pump and it does make the humming noise. I will try to check the spark tomorrow. but don't you guys find it weird that this happened when i filled up a full tank? coincidence or related?
Old 04-10-2008, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (shadohconspiracy)

Possible bad gas or just a coincidence. Only consider the former if you have bright spark at all the plugs.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RonJ@HT)

I just recently had to replace the distributer and it was having that issue..and I also had gas in the car. I checked the fuel pump(not it), checked my sparkplugs(good), replaced the cap/rotor and checked the Ecu, I made sure I was getting fuel also through the fuel rail(good) and all that bullshit....I figured it was the distributer and wasn't in the mood to spend 200$ for it, I had to so then I installed it and my car is running great like it used too! I hope that helps you out! I just had to actually do this 2 weeks ago Let me know what happens...Hope it's just the spark I feel your pain!
Old 04-10-2008, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (marc100)

i will check the spark tomorrow. how do i check if the fuel rail is getting enough gas?
Old 04-10-2008, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

also, after checking everything above. would it be a good idea to swap in a friend's fuel pump into my car just to see if the fuel pump going out?
Old 04-10-2008, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It might be easier to just measure the fuel pressure.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shadohconspiracy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i will check the spark tomorrow. how do i check if the fuel rail is getting enough gas?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Fuel pressure gauge. Plugs into the top of your fuel filter.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what is a good fuel pressure? and if the fuel pressure is good, does it eliminate the possibility of the fuel delivery components?
Old 04-10-2008, 11:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

a good fuel pressure is oround 40psi, i would not see all injectors going out at same time, maybe filter...or catalitc converter, have you felt a loss in power lately, uneven idle?
Old 04-11-2008, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i recently just replaced the fuel filter, and there doesnt seem to be an uneven idle. if anything i felt a little power gain after the fuel filter and fuel system flush i did recently.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have two civic hatch, and I tried swapping all the parts to see the problem even the fuel pump..etc...there is a piece near the fuel rail you twist it slowly and gas shud start spitting out... now you would probably wanna do it really quickly unless you want gas to go everywhere... ....Its rare for it to be like the injectors or getting fuel...
Old 04-11-2008, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can easily check on if fuel is being delivered into the CCs by removing spark plugs and smelling/feeling them. I had a non-starting issue after a new fuel filter install; I ended up disconnecting the FPR and reconnected it. It started up. Maybe it got stuck open or closed...?
Old 04-11-2008, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

UPDATE:

alright so i check the spark today by removing a spark plug and plug it into the wire and grounded it to the chassis. had a friend crank it and it doesnt seem to spark.

i did the same to my friends car and i can see sparks coming out of the tip.

so i am pretty sure it is spark related. also when i pulled the plug, it had quite a bit of gasoline around the tip, so this pretty much is telling me fuel is getting injected in there but not getting ignited right?

finally. what are the steps i should take to find out what is causing no spark? thanks in advance.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:51 PM

Since it died at a light, I wouldn't think battery. Crank the engine with the distributor cap off to see if the rotor spins. Or...take the cover off the timing gear to see if you still have a belt on it. I'm guessing the belt broke.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:57 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shadohconspiracy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">alright so i check the spark today by removing a spark plug and plug it into the wire and grounded it to the chassis. had a friend crank it and it doesnt seem to spark.

i did the same to my friends car and i can see sparks coming out of the tip.

so i am pretty sure it is spark related. also when i pulled the plug, it had quite a bit of gasoline around the tip, so this pretty much is telling me fuel is getting injected in there but not getting ignited right?

finally. what are the steps i should take to find out what is causing no spark? thanks in advance.</TD></TR></TABLE>
You're getting fuel, so you can eliminate the fuel system as the problem.

Check to make sure the distributor rotor is spinning. If it isn't, then the timing belt probably broke.

No spark can be caused by a number of problems. Typically coil or ignitor. You would need a multimeter to test them both while someone cranks the car to determine which one it is. While you're in there, it's usually a good idea to put on a new cap and rotor as well, and plugs too if they look worn and are older than 30,000 miles (for standard copper plugs).
Old 04-11-2008, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Targa250R)

ide say coil like the above poster... but also look into your cap and rotor. if you bought something from a parts store, you may have gotten a faulty one. i ALWAYS use honda ignition products.
Old 04-11-2008, 03:37 PM

Default Re: (slambedcivic)

I had a similar issue with the no spark and dying. I actually had three problem at the same time strangely enough. Ignition coil box was dead. I went ahead and replaced cap and rotor at the same time.

I also had an issue with the key lock cylinder and also some wiring in the steering column, which I can't remember the name of. Once the Coil was replaced it would start up but immediatly die b/c the key wasn't keeping connection and that wire was bad.

I would check the coil with a multimeter/voltmeter if you can and if the number seems off of what the manual says, replace it.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Nickboxer7)

Well I recently replaced cap and rotor. I will take the cap off and try to see if the rotor spins (hope it does).

What is the best way to check the ignitor and coil?

Would it be a waste of time tp take the hard line off the fuel filter and crank it, to make sure fuel does get pumped?

Quick Reply: Car does not start after filling up the tank.