Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car Dies While Driving (AGAIN, AGAIN)

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Dies While Driving (AGAIN, AGAIN)

All was good for a day, car died twice yesterday on the way home from work. This is really getting old. Same thing as before, I turn the key a few times with no response from the dash and then after a few turns the lights come on and I can start the car.

(Previous)

Well the problem is happening again. This time while I am driving the engine “burps,” dies for a second then comes back on. The times that it doesn’t come back on, when I turn the key the lights on the dash don’t come on but after a few tries I can fire it up and continue on my way until it dies again. Any thoughts? Thank you.

(Previous)

Honda Civic 1998 EX
Headers, CAI, cat-back exhaust, gutted cat.

I have been having some problems lately with the car dies while driving. At first it would die after a lengthily trip, getting the car all warmed up and running it fairly hard. Lately it can die while driving to the grocery store which is just a few minutes away. When this first started happening I wasn’t getting a CEL, the car would just die. After I let it sit for a few minutes it would start back up. When it did die the car would crank but it wouldn’t completely turn over; all the lights and electrical stuff worked thus I eliminated it as an electrical problem. Lately I have been getting a misfire and catalyst system efficiency below threshold CEL. I used to get a code for running rich but I have not gotten that in a long time, I am also not throwing an O2 specific code. I know my cat is gutted which would lead to the efficiency problem but would that cause the car to die? I changed the spark plugs about two weeks ago and the plug wires are maybe a year old. I just changed the fuel filter, and the distributor cap and rotor look fine. I have some ideas what could be wrong but it never hurts to bounce some ideas off other people. Any thoughts? Thank you.

Old 08-30-2007, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Car Dies While Driving (mechanix619)

i'm thinking possibly your ignition switch under your steering wheel might be having issues. but don't quote me, just throwing out an idea.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Car Dies While Driving (Brick Top)

If you are talking about the switch that is connected to the ignition then it's brand new, I replaced it when I replaced the ignition. Thanks for the input.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Car Dies While Driving (mechanix619)

check your battery terminals. corroded cables can cause it to have no power and car to shut off