Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   Car dies at idle only with AC on HELP (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/car-dies-idle-only-ac-help-2950058/)

Katastrophic 06-21-2011 09:01 PM

Car dies at idle only with AC on HELP

like the title says when it's hot outside (90F+) when the car is at an idle and the AC is on sometimes it will just die out, no clunking like a stall but just shuts off. everything else, AC, stereo, lights etc stay on (not important but more info is better right) it happened while rolling, stopped etc.

btw the cars a stock d15b7 4dr eg
also if i go to hit the gas after a stop nothing happens/the car bogs for about a sec or 2 and then the car gets power.

any input would be nice, if you need anymore info i'll edit it in.

Katastrophic 06-21-2011 10:01 PM

Re: Car dies at idle only with AC on HELP

i need help asap guys
i have 2 100 degree weeks coming up and this is bugging the hell out of me.

shogee 06-22-2011 12:13 PM

Locked up ac compressor possibly.

appelsos 06-22-2011 12:26 PM

does the car ever have any bogging issues WITHOUT ac at all? it could be that a/c is just making the problem bad enough as it draws extra power from the motor, and it just isnt as noticeable without a/c on.

i would reccommend checking all of your vacuum connections and cleaning your idle air valve first to see if that helps at all. really simple to do and can go a long way.

i had this same problem in my old integra on hot days, i remedied it by changing spark plugs, fuel filter, vac lines, cleaned fitv and iacv. just tune-up maintenance stuff really.

Slacker93eg 06-22-2011 05:41 PM

My first impression without even reading your post was a locked up A/C compressor. Does the belt squeel when your driving or at idle or anything? How is the belt looking?

grumblemarc 06-22-2011 05:49 PM

What's it idle like without the A/C? When was the last FULL tuneup?

Former User 06-22-2011 05:58 PM

What year Civic/Del Sol?

Does the A/C condenser fan fail to run when the A/C is on?

Did you recently recharge the A/C system with refrigerant?

Katastrophic 06-22-2011 08:57 PM

ok to help you guys out it's a 92, so R12 iirc
the idle seems to be ok without the AC on, once a few months back on a random hot day did the belt squeal but it seems fine (not a big concern)

the idle sits around 5-700 no AC but if i come to a stop with the AC on it will drop below the 500 line which in itself bothers me.

i will probably have it recharged within the next week and when i have time clean the IACV, can someone link me the IACV cleaning thread on the FAQs? if not i'll go find it.

i don't quite know if this is relevant but if i drive around with the AC off and then turn it on full blast a peculiar smell comes out for a minute (i usually don't notice but passengers in my car have) and after that it goes away. (if i start the car with the AC on there will be no smell)

Former User 06-23-2011 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT (Post 45511930)
Does the A/C condenser fan fail to run when the A/C is on?

Katastrophic 06-23-2011 02:03 PM

yes, yes it does

last tune up was around 6 months ago.

Former User 06-23-2011 03:41 PM

Measure the high and low side refrigerant pressures. They may show that the condenser is bad.

Jader714 06-24-2011 01:04 AM

get a new car battery

Katastrophic 06-24-2011 01:18 AM

just bought one 2 months ago because "someone" left the lights on and completely killed the battery beyond recharging.

Jader714 06-24-2011 08:55 PM

when your idle whats your rpm at?

Katastrophic 06-29-2011 08:44 PM

cleaned the IACV and good god, after 19 years of abuse that thing had dirt caked into, around, and on it. 1 bottle of simple green and a little bit of brake cleaner goes along way. Also you can rinse off/out your IACV with water just make sure you dry it all the way (blow dryer to make sure)

1 downside is that the gasket that goes on it was so old that when we went to pop it out, it just broke off and for the time being i just put it back in and used silicon to kinda glue it in place. (NOT A PERMANENT FIX) FYI

went to start the car, idled at 1500 Cold start, took it for a run, (nighttime so i had headlights on and ran the AC to check) sat at 500 with headlights and ac and went up once the lights are off. All in all i believe this fixed it but i really won't know for 2 days because it won't reach 100ish degrees until then.

thanks for the help guys, if this doesn't end up working out i'll replace the condenser or the belt.

K-Rex90 06-29-2011 10:33 PM

tune-up?
fan?