Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

car dies on freeway!

Old 10-20-2008, 01:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default car dies on freeway!

ok. i just wanted to confirm my assumptions. I'm assuming its the alternator and/or battery.

I drove my gf home yesterday and she lives like 20 miles away. Well i drove her there and everything was fine. On the way back, i noticed my cluster lights were getting dimmer and so were my headlights. I also felt my power drop. I turned off the radio and my engine ran faster and my lights got brighter. Then after like 2 miles, my rpm needle just dropped to 0. A few moments after that i felt the car bogging and i had to hold the gas all the way down to maintain like 40mph. Once i exited, there was a red light and my car died. IT wouldnt start.

so uh. alternator and battery? The car wont crank over.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: car dies on freeway! (K i l l a B e e.)

Alternator very likely. Now, the battery COULD be injured from the discharge, but eh. Just trickle charge it and you're golden.

What is the mileage of the vehicle? Have you ever done anything around the alternator that could cause this? Check wiring and belt before pulling and replacing the alternator.

Also, you could just disconnect and raise/drop the alternator out, have it tested to be sure before purchasing a new one. But, it's a classic alternator failure scenario it seems.

PS: If you don't have power steering, alternator fits through sideways around the intake manifold and firewall. Otherwise it's a squeeze.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: car dies on freeway! (Davus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Davus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Alternator very likely. Now, the battery COULD be injured from the discharge, but eh. Just trickle charge it and you're golden.

What is the mileage of the vehicle? Have you ever done anything around the alternator that could cause this? Check wiring and belt before pulling and replacing the alternator.

Also, you could just disconnect and raise/drop the alternator out, have it tested to be sure before purchasing a new one. But, it's a classic alternator failure scenario it seems.

PS: If you don't have power steering, alternator fits through sideways around the intake manifold and firewall. Otherwise it's a squeeze. </TD></TR></TABLE>

good reply. thanks.

Well the car has a gsr engine in it, so it looks liek the alternator is easier to pull out.

Good thing you mentioned the wiring scenario, because i was trying to tuck my headlight harness last month, but i failed horribly and gave up. The driver side harness was left unbolted, but i made sure that it didnt hit the alternator belt. Maybe i ought to recheck it tomorrow.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: car dies on freeway! (K i l l a B e e.)

I messed up my OEM alternator while trying to improve it. I added a second larger wire to it, retained stock. Boot didn't fit fully over and it corroded .

So now, when I hear of alternator problems, I think ... Did this person screw up like me?