Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car died won't start - Distributor problem - NEED HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car died won't start - Distributor problem - NEED HELP!!!

This morning my car (d16z6) sputtered and died, tried to jump it, it would only crank then the battery just went out (I am getting gas to the rail), luckily I wasn't far from my garage and pushed it for a few blocks.
I just got done replacing the battery, alternator, wires and plugs to find out that I have no spark. I was working alone and couldn't check for spark until I asked my neighbor. Also, I should mention that when I pulled my wires off my plugs I noticed that one of my wires was not in the dizzy. I'm seriously trying to think if I pulled it off and forgot about it as I was changing my plugs or if it was off before my car died. Let's just say it came loose during driving - what could have happend to make my car die from this?

Now I am almost certain it's my dizzy; but if not is there anything else I should check at this point?
In any case I will almost certainly replace the dizzy but have a few questions:

I pulled my dizzy off but spun the dizzy around while it was still attached to the head; I also reattached the dizzy and spun it some more as I was attaching it onto the head). I forgot about timing issues - in fact I've never replaced the dizzy. How to safely go about timing without the use of a gun? Should I just stick the dizzy in and wrench the bolts at the middle?

Also, after having explained that I could have been driving without the wire, is there something in the dizzy (like rotor or cap) that I should try and replace to solving the problem prior to getting a whole new dizzy?

Thanks

Old 06-02-2007, 06:32 PM

Default Re: Car died won't start - Distributor problem - NEED HELP!!! (JDMflavor_EJ)

i would check the ecu and back up fuses thats what i would do first.
Old 06-02-2007, 06:35 PM

Default Re: Car died won't start - Distributor problem - NEED HELP!!! (red4dr92)

Under the steering wheel?
I do not have my fuse cover. Which one(s) should I look at?
Old 06-02-2007, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Car died won't start - Distributor problem - NEED HELP!!! (JDMflavor_EJ)

Under the hood, in front of the battery.
Old 06-02-2007, 06:48 PM

Default Re: Car died won't start - Distributor problem - NEED HELP!!! (t0p_sh0tta)

That I did check - the battery fuse is OK.
Old 06-02-2007, 07:23 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The most common cause of a no-spark condition on a car of that age is a failed ignition coil.

Remove the distributor, and replace the coil. Now is as good a time as any to put on a fresh cap and rotor, since they're cheap wear items and you'll be removing them.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:35 PM

Default Re: Car died won't start - Distributor problem - NEED HELP!!! (Targa250R)

pics of coil and rotor? (Never seen inside of a dizzy)
I think I may have to suspect the igniter as well.
I do know what the cap looks like.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Coil is at the top and has a spring sticking out..
I just had some dizzy problems, i replaced the coil rotor and ignitor..still nothing..
I found it cheaper and involving less headaches to just replace the whole dizzy. So i did, everything works fine.
Btw i was throwing code 15 ignition output signal
Old 06-02-2007, 08:52 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMflavor_EJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">pics of coil and rotor? (Never seen inside of a dizzy)
I think I may have to suspect the igniter as well.
I do know what the cap looks like.</TD></TR></TABLE>
When you remove the cap, the rotor is the black circular-shaped thing underneath. It is held to the distributor shaft by a single Phillips-head screw. Remove the rotor, and you'll see the coil, which is just a black box that has a few wire terminals screwed onto it. Be careful removing the wires, as the little Phillips-head screws will strip easily.