Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car died, no turnover & clicking from fusebox

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car died, no turnover & clicking from fusebox

I went to put gas in and after fueling I went to start it and heard nothing. Got out and tapped the starter a few times, got back in and check to see if the radio would go on & it did. For about the last 6 months once in a while When I went to start it the same thing would happen, I would hear consectutive clicks from the fuse box but nothing at all turning over, then I would try again & it would start. This time it would not, also when I put the key in II, it starts clicking by itself & I hear it coming from the passenger side ( maybe under the dash ) too.? I put a new 7.5 fuse in the starter hole & still nothing. BTW I live in Vegas & its about 120. Could the electronice got too hot? I'll try again later when I can get a ride to my car. Let me know what you think guys...
Old 07-15-2006, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Car died, no turnover & clicking from fusebox (EnKidu)

Bad battery or starter solenoid. check the battery condition, if it is old it could be weak and incapable of holding the charge properly. Also the starter's plunger (part that actually engages the flywheel) could be worn and needs to be replaced. Most people just replace the starter if that's the condition.
Old 07-15-2006, 03:32 PM

Default Re: Car died, no turnover & clicking from fusebox (Lord Helmet)

Thanks, I wiggled the cable around a bit to make sure I had a connecttion, but perhaps it is the battery. I will try jumping it & see what happens. Man, I hope its that simple...
I will try that then reply the results.
Old 07-15-2006, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EnKidu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks, I wiggled the cable around a bit to make sure I had a connecttion, but perhaps it is the battery. I will try jumping it & see what happens. Man, I hope its that simple...
I will try that then reply the results.</TD></TR></TABLE>

There's a tool that you can check the condition of the battery fluid. I have it and bought it from harbor frieght. it a dual tester, it tests my antifreeze chemical condition and the electrolite (sp?) of the battery fluid.
Old 07-15-2006, 03:44 PM

Default Re: Car died, no turnover & clicking from fusebox (Lord Helmet)

Lord Helmet, I am going there now with a friends car & I will try to jump it. With this heat I dont doubt it drained the battery. Be back with results in an hour...
Old 07-15-2006, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check the thermostat ground..that clicking is from the ecu..im positive that is the ground on the thermostat..its probably loose ..tighten it up and it should start!!!
Old 07-15-2006, 04:53 PM

Default Re: Car died, no turnover & clicking from fusebox (k_motor)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by k_motor &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">check the thermostat ground..that clicking is from the ecu..im positive that is the ground on the thermostat..its probably loose ..tighten it up and it should start!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>
Ok its not the batt, it wont jump. Maybe its the solenoid. K_motor, I'd like to try what your saying, because it has been doing this for a while (clicking randomly) so it could be something loose & its worth a shot. Where is the thermostat ground? I'm not a great mechanic, lol
96 civic hx
Old 07-15-2006, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

follow the lower radiator hose....where it ends its should be the thermostat housing..check to see if u can see a ground wire there..it should be a 10mm bolt that grounds it..

Old 07-15-2006, 05:06 PM

Default Re: Car died, no turnover & clicking from fusebox (k_motor)

Thanks, Ill try that next before buying a solenoid. K-motor, can I get to it from the top? If not I may have to have it towed to my apt first.
Old 07-15-2006, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes you can!!!
Old 07-17-2006, 02:05 PM

It was the batt!! Thanks guys, cant believe it was that easy. God I love Honda's!!