Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

CAR DIED!!! Help! 96 ek civic hatchback (ej6)

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAR DIED!!! Help! 96 ek civic hatchback (ej6)

Was driving home after work then all of the sudden i felt two like kickbacks while driving, as if i hit something or like the car was jerking. Next thing you know the battery and oil light come up and my car is not running, im rolling...i go to safety and try and start back up....no go. The battery is good....and it sounds like the car is trying really hard to get going but it cant quite start yet....

I get a tow and my friend and i drive to a shop and we park it behind the shop till monday....in doing so we try to start it up and this time it starts back up fine but it then cuts off a split second later....during these startups i hear a loud tapping noise, or a ticking noise....sounds like something bad....

My car is dead till monday where a shop can assess the situation....anyone have any ideas or any experiences like mine?
Old 11-04-2006, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CAR DIED!!! Help! 96 ek civic hatchback (crazycaucazian86)

It sounds like your timing belt snapped. Has it been changed? If not check it out. Your motor can possilbly have internal damage if your timing belt snapped. Which means your pistons are hitting your valves causing that ticking or knocking noise you described.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:04 PM
BANNED

Default Re: CAR DIED!!! Help! 96 ek civic hatchback (EM1_ChRiS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EM1_ChRiS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It sounds like your timing belt snapped. Has it been changed? If not check it out. Your motor can possilbly have internal damage if your timing belt snapped.</TD></TR></TABLE>

**** should i just change mine
Old 11-04-2006, 09:36 PM

Default Re: CAR DIED!!! Help! 96 ek civic hatchback (EM1_ChRiS)

well that doesnt sound very comforting.....if it snapped how can i check? should i see a belt just dangling around or something?
Old 11-04-2006, 09:37 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rota power &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

**** should i just change mine</TD></TR></TABLE>

Random?
Old 11-04-2006, 10:14 PM

ok well im no expert but i just took a look and the timing belt which was replaced at 90k did not snap, still looks brand new pretty much....i tried to crank it up and it did go but with a loud tapping noise....it held its rpm for awhile till i pushed a bit on the gas and then it dropped to 0 rpms and died. Something tells me its either the fuel pump or water pump because it was going for a bit but i think its not getting enough of whatever it needs to get it staying.....

the tapping noise is whats bothering me because it sounds like metal to metal contact and the last thing i want to do is have a engine thats gonna cost me more to fix when im in the stages in a few months to swap it out for a b18c1.

from doing searches this is what i compliled to be the most probable causes...

starter
distributer
alternator
fuel pump
water pump
timing belt
spark plugs
injectors

any input?
Old 11-04-2006, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (crazycaucazian86)

Maybe your timing belt skipped a tooth or two?
Old 11-04-2006, 10:40 PM

Default Re: (EM1_ChRiS)

would skipping a teeth or two be game over for the engine internals?
Old 11-04-2006, 10:42 PM

i think its a bent valve cuss i had the same thing on my brother rsx type s his engine had the same thing as you are describing he was just driving back from work than his car stall and when he try to start it it made a loud *** clicking noise .... took it down to the dealership n the dealership said it was a bent valve which you have to replace the whole engine because of the piston...
Old 11-04-2006, 10:54 PM

Default Re: CAR DIED!!! Help! 96 ek civic hatchback (GONTHAINKHAMISAW)

eugh this is all very uncomforting....being that i have two jobs and school....this is my daily driver....this is NOT what i need right now.
Old 11-05-2006, 12:58 PM

UPDATE: Car seized....i put a quart of oil in a few days before this happened to hold out till tuesday to do my oil change....turns out the engine burns the oil so fast that its no where to be found in the car??? anyways good bye engine.....currently making plans to drop my car off at a shop to put in a b18c1...not what i planned to do to be honest but whatever......

and ever since 110k miles sinc ei got the car it ate thru alot of the oil i gave it.....like around 2.5k miles i would get oil lights so id have to do the changes very often....somehow im not surprised this happened....i couldve prevented this but oh well...
Old 11-05-2006, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey buddy thats when you check it out and not put it off to the side and hope it goes away.
Old 11-05-2006, 01:48 PM

Default Re: (GiMpInThaCiv)

maybe i put it off the side for 9k miles too much my mistake, what can i say? definitely ill be more proactive about the newer engine with every detail now.
Old 11-05-2006, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (crazycaucazian86)

i just picked up this Y8 form a 99EX with less than 100K miles. this is what happens when you skimp on oil changes. if it is a hatch then you have a Y7 engine then. i may be interested in the block

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Laserjock &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks for the larger headstuds info. i will forgo that idea. I just finished tearing down my Y8 block and i have other bigger things to work on.

I need your opinions on my crank and have some carnage pics. The Y8 was not boosted but it looked like it suffered from infrequent oil changes.

Pics of con rod #1

Pic of crank bearing surface for con rod #1

Front seal surface

Shim 1 and 2

Sorry for the mondo pics

Is the crank machineable/worth using? I am especially worried about the front main seal. The goouge is pretty deep but there was no oil leak in that part of the block.

The other part of course is the con rod bearing. In the pic there is discoloration but no scratches when I run my nail over it.

I am taking the block to be honed (surprisingly doesn't need it) , deck, and notched. I am gonna bring the crank to see what the machine shop think.

I have Eagle rods on the way and Vitara's for this engine build .</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 11-05-2006, 05:34 PM

i did the oil changes every 3k miles....but it seemed that it wanted oil faster than that....anyways its useless to me so once i swap it out...ill give you whatever you need from it for a reasonable price.