Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

car died on freeway, really weird probelms, need help trouble shooting.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car died on freeway, really weird probelms, need help trouble shooting.

car is a 1992 honda civic 4 door. stock.

my car usually starts first try. but now that i think back, before i left, i turned it over, and it started, then died real quick. so i just had to give it a little gas when i started it next, and it started right up, and off i went. i was driving home friday night (this is after being on the freeway for 50 or so miles), and my speedo started acting really weird. it would drop to 0 then back to 70 really fast. at first i thought i was seeing things, but then it did it a couple more times and then my car just died. so i put the clutch in, and headed for the off ramp. i tried to bump start it while going 4, and it sounds like it starts but then just dies. so i get it off the freeway, pop the hood, and look at everything. i check all my grounds, my electrical plugs, battery, everything. gas gauge read at 1/4 tank. the weird thing is this: when i start it, it starts, but then just dies. if i give it more gas while starting, it will start at a high rpm but then just die. (i am talking 1 or 2 seconds here) but it does it every time i turn it over. I had it towed home and tried a few things yesterday.

I hear the fuel pump priming when i turn the key on.
I put 2 gallons of gas in it, and primed it 10 times before i started.
I checked my dizy wirings and the cap, all looked fine.
I checked all my grounds. (thermo, tranny, head)

I am really at a lost. I called a couple friends, and they dont know what else it could be either. I would think its either a dizzy issue or a fuel issue, but i dont know why either would affect the speedo. thats whats really throwing me off here.

any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car died on freeway, really weird probelms, need help trouble shooting. (fatalman)

no help?
Old 01-27-2008, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just check the three major things, fuel, spark, compression
Old 01-27-2008, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: car died on freeway, really weird probelms, need help trouble shooting. (fatalman)

check the idle screw, and the tps possibly. I having some of the same problems. Sounds like the vss is going bad, but i dont know how that would cause it now to keep running.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car died on freeway, really weird probelms, need help trouble shooting. (z6hatchboy)

well. this is what i would look into first. Check your cell even if it's not on check it.
Then if any codes come up try to fix them.
if no codes come up. check the spark plugs/wires. could be loose.
then you might want to check the ignitor, you can only do that with a voltmetter.
check in the faq it's in there . if not check your helm's. if you don't have one i will try and help type mine out. (but go buy one)
this happend to me. car was running fine then started to sputter then it died. it would crank but not turn over. i checked the dizzy, it was o.k. i checked the wires and one had alittle build up on it but that caused the ignitor to short. ....oh yeah a few days before i noticed that my speedometer was cutting off .Then the car died. even though i fixed the ignitor the speedometer still cuts off every so often. but i thing it's a dirty connection at the plugs in the bay . and nothing to do with the ignitor
G/L