Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

which car is a better swap candidate? Civic EK sedan, or a Del Sol?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2002, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which car is a better swap candidate? Civic EK sedan, or a Del Sol?

you can base your answers on opinions, chassis platform, personal preference.. whatever you like.. just want to hear your feedbacks. Thank you.. Vehicle will be for daily driving, some autocross use, and occasional 1/4 mile, and of course later on comes the show mods!
Old 02-22-2002, 11:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: which car is a better swap candidate? Civic EK sedan, or a Del Sol? (evo VII)

honestly
nethire.
the sedan is too heavy/big and the sol is just heavy
a better platform would be a coupe or hatch.
if i had to pick, it would be a sol.
Old 02-22-2002, 11:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: which car is a better swap candidate? Civic EK sedan, or a Del Sol? (KAMiN)

92-95 hatchback, 95-95 coupe,

but if i had to pick, id pic the sol. i just dont like 4 door civics, sorry.
Old 02-23-2002, 05:06 AM

Default Re: which car is a better swap candidate? Civic EK sedan, or a Del Sol? (KAMiN)

Eh?? The del Sol is "just heavy"? Um, ok. Whatever.

Sure its not as light as a stripped hatch or CRX, but come on 2300 lb for a del Sol is pretty light. Better than a sedan any day (though I'm not knocking the sedan, so no flames).

For the original post......from what you plan to do with the car (daily driver, auto-x, some 1320's) your choices are going to be basically personal preference. That is exactly what I do with my car (a del Sol). In any case, a hatch is technically better if you are more hardcore racer. But for your question..............

1. EK Civic is OBDII
2. EK Civic is more expensive (newer), and you're looking at a swap anyway
3. EK Civic can't pop the top on those nice days
4. EK Civic can fit more than 2 people!
5. EK Civic probably won't need as much chassis bracing to get good stiffness
6. Having said that, the del Sol can be made nice and tight quite inexpensively
7. I personally prefer the interior styling on the del Sol - the way the dash and cockpit wraps around you. The del Sol seats are much better.
8. Pop top!!
9. Pop top!!
10. Pop top!!

I'd recommend buying a cheap, high mileage del Sol Si (I prefer the dash in the 93, but that's just me......they changed it in 94+ for the passenger airbag). If ABS is your thing (not mine!) I think you need a 95+. The Si del Sol has all the amenties for daily driver (cruise, power mirrors, etc), plus 4-wheel disc brakes. Pull the motor, get the body cleaned up (they all have dings, etc and now would be a good time to get all of that taken care of. New paint while the motor is out permits either a color change, or cleaning up the engine compartment paint). Then get a swap, bolt it in, stiffen suspension and bam! There you are. Just watch for leaky roof seals (you can buy replacements for the 93 and some 94's that have the revised seal that doesn't leak, since its a cheaper initial purchase its not that big a deal to spend some on non-performance upgrades).

Hope that helps!

Steve
Old 02-23-2002, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: which car is a better swap candidate? Civic EK sedan, or a Del Sol? (evo VII)

Well not that I'm biased or anything, but I love my sol. Even in stock form it was pretty impressive. I've gone all drag/autox and am near completing my needs for atleast autox. The only downfall I can think of is the chassis flexing, which of course can easily be remedied by using a roll cage. I've alos eliminated the weight problem. I'm not down to around 2k even with me in the car. yes is bare bones, but thats all I need. If you need any info on sol's let me know.
Old 02-23-2002, 05:31 AM

Default Re: which car is a better swap candidate? Civic EK sedan, or a Del Sol? (TheShad0w)

The rollcage isn't the best for a daily driver, especially if it ruins the "look" of the open top. Tightening the suspension takes out a lot of the slop - the biggest difference was the front strut bar.

Just to clarify......you're down to 2000 lbs with you in the car? Holy crap!

I love my Sol too. Do you have a site? Do you post on darksol BBS?

Steve
Old 02-23-2002, 05:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly man, i think that would be sick to have a fully built swap in a sedan. perfect sleeper. Put a baby seat in the there for the ultimate sleeper look.
Old 02-23-2002, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: which car is a better swap candidate? Civic EK sedan, or a Del Sol? (94HybridEx)

if i had to pick between the two cars i'd go with the 4dr. just because you see very few nice ones. just my 2bits.
Old 02-23-2002, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: which car is a better swap candidate? Civic EK sedan, or a Del Sol? (DragonCTR69)

I feel the same way. Obviously the people who drive hatchs got them cause they do look better then 88 crx's. they chose style of some weight. if you have the car and like how it looks, go for it man! good luck!
Old 02-23-2002, 08:52 AM

Default Re: which car is a better swap candidate? Civic EK sedan, or a Del Sol? (DragonCTR69)

What'sup Dragon, I haven't spoken to u in a while.. heh i figure your busy with work and your car , but hopefully i'll catch you on soon.. yeah a sedan would be easier for me to work with, but i found a cheap del sol, and I wouldnt mind having a extra car, in case the motor gives me problems, etc so even if there is downtime.. it wouldn't be as bad.. Thanks for the input everybody! ... I greatly appreciate it... I found a 93 Del Sol Si with 100k in nice shape.. was a good price for it? he was asking for 3000 or so ( the 93si came with front and rear disc brakes?? i didn't know.. hehe that would help with the mods ).. I agree that both vehicles are heavier then the 92-95 Models.. but for 96 up civic's the sedan is actually a lighter platform the coupe.. is on par with the hatch, and mayb even be 100 lbs lighter.. I found this on a honda chassis spec sheet.. i forgot where.. but in the honda brochures i believe is listed as well.. Thank you all and keep the comments coming
Old 02-23-2002, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

get that del sol dude check this one out: http://www.darksol.com/showcase.html
Old 02-23-2002, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: which car is a better swap candidate? Civic EK sedan, or a Del Sol? (WishIHadANiceCarToo)

Old 02-24-2002, 03:07 AM
New User

Del Sols are a mix between performance and looks, how far you go with it depends on the driver.
Old 02-24-2002, 10:11 AM

Default Re: which car is a better swap candidate? Civic EK sedan, or a Del Sol? (samdawgsol)

get the sol. how many people have sols with swaps compared to the number of people with civics and swaps?! if you get the sol, get the jdm trunk thing for the trunk. that's badass.
Old 02-24-2002, 10:19 AM

Default Re: which car is a better swap candidate? Civic EK sedan, or a Del Sol? (WishIHadANiceCarToo)

awwwwwwwweeeeeee yeah