Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car all of a sudden has no power, please help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car all of a sudden has no power, please help.

I searched for this topic, but got no help in my situation.

This is on a 2000 Civic Si.

A few hours ago I went outside to get in my Civic and put the key into the ignition, pressed the clutch pedel down and proceeded to start the motor. When I turned the key, everything inside the car shut off, motor didn't turn over, nor did the starter click.

I have no power to anything inside the car, and I mean nothing. The only hope of power circulating throughout the car is the horn. I can press the horn button on the steering wheel and I hear a very VERY faint tone from the horn, and I can hear the relay clicking. Also, when the door is open and the key is in the ignition, I can hear the door open indicator beep.

I have checked ALL of the fuses inside the car and in the engine bay. I've checked relays and tested them with new ones. I have checked all the grounds in the car known to me.

The car will not do anything when I try to jump it off from another vehicle. Tried jumping it from a Dodge turbo-diesel truck, and a ford taurus.

I also took the battery and had it checked, and it tested good, but I am doubting the results on that test. I'm about to go buy a new battery right now and try that.

But any suggestions on what may be causing this would be greatly appreciated. I have never had a problem out of this car in the 3 years I've owned it, this is the first issue.

Thanks for any intelligent responses. Smart asses need NOT apply to this thread.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Car all of a sudden has no power, please help. (The Q)

I would start checking any ground wires you have messed with in the last 2 days.

Then I would recheck every ground wire inside your engine bay.
Tranny, battery, valve cover, thermostat housing, by the headlights any and all grounds because one is lose.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:38 PM

Default Re: Car all of a sudden has no power, please help. (sauceja)

I've gone over them quite a few times. Nothing has been touched or modified on the car in over a year. I'm going to buy a new battery right now, so we will see what happens.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If the battery tested good, why buy a new one? Again, go over your wires like sauceja said. Make sure you've got good solid connection at both ends of the ground and positive cables.

For a quick test, you could attatch a jumper cable from the negative battery post directly to a good solid chassis ground point to eliminate that possibility.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:31 PM

Default Re: Car all of a sudden has no power, please help. (Perfectionist)

Just got back with the new battery. Same deal. No power to anything accept for the door open beeper that beeps when your door is open and keys in the ignition. My headlights won't even turn on. All my ground and power wires are tight and solid. No corrosion.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Has anybody tried to steal the car? maybe check the ground wires by the ecu if you have been rummaging through there.

This definately sounds like a bad ground situation. Especially with a good battery.

Wiring definately sucks.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:44 PM

Default Re: Car all of a sudden has no power, please help. (sauceja)

Problem has been corrected.

I took the original battery to another place to have it rechecked, and it showed up almost dead, so buying a new battery was a plus.

But the positive battery cable connector was oddly bent and wasn't making a good connection to the battery itself. I clamped it tight to the battery post and tightened the nut back up on it and the car started right up.

Thanks for all the input and suggestions.