Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   Cant tell if car is Overheating (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/cant-tell-if-car-overheating-940539/)

simplypinoyy 07-27-2004 10:16 PM

Cant tell if car is Overheating

My temp gauge is telln me my motor is overheating but yet its not ? My engine bay isnt hot as hell and my car doesnt even perform different on the highway. But when i turn on my heater the gauge goes down a little. Is it my thermostat ? My car can be driving on the highway for 30 minz and the needle would be past H in the gauge for that 30 minz and my car doesnt even turn off nor any smoke showed.

OpTiX619 07-27-2004 10:30 PM

Re: Cant tell if car is Overheating (simplypinoyy)

did you reciently change the coolant? you may have a bubble of air. you can try bleeding the coolant system.

OpTiX619 07-27-2004 10:31 PM

Re: Cant tell if car is Overheating (OpTiX619)

or just make sure your radiator is topped off and check it when the car is cold, if there is room.. add more coolant/water...

dan

ABK 07-27-2004 10:33 PM

Re: Cant tell if car is Overheating (OpTiX619)

when you warm up the car, take your hand and place it on the lower radiator hose. If it's cold then your thermostat is stuck. Also check coolant, and get the air out.

simplypinoyy 07-27-2004 10:45 PM

Re: Cant tell if car is Overheating (ABK)

I bled the valve like twice and the hose is warm. Its not burning hot. Theres no air in the system. So I guess its the thermostat ?

simplypinoyy 07-29-2004 01:30 PM

how do i change the thermostats exactly ?

Turbogixxer 07-29-2004 01:56 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by simplypinoyy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how do i change the thermostats exactly ?</TD></TR></TABLE>

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=876298

simplypinoyy 08-01-2004 08:39 AM

Re: Cant tell if car is Overheating (turbogixxer)

Hmms i changed the thermostat and its not that and that leaves me to believe that its the water pump... damn hopefully it'll fix the problem when i change it this time

93 Honda Civic 08-03-2004 12:04 PM

Wooooaaahh...before you go all out and change the water pump, a bad water pump will do one of two things...

1.) The seal will go bad and it will start to "weap" out of the weap hole. You will have to take the timing cover off to see this, but if you are not losing any coolant then this is not the problem.

2.) The water pump shaft or bearing may go bad and it will make a BAD knocking sound that sounds like a rod knocking.

If your coolant is at the proper level (make sure the heat is on when adding coolent), then check the simple things first. I would check the radiator fan (and relay), to make sure they are kicking on. If your car is heating up more at idle and stop and start speeds, but seems fine on the highway, the fan is probably not kicking in.

If the fan is fine, then check the coolent temp sender (not the temp SENSOR). They do go bad from time to time. Hope this helps.

simplypinoyy 08-03-2004 04:28 PM

Re: Cant tell if car is Overheating (93 Honda Civic)

so it may not be the water pump ? My car overheats on the highway and on idle actually but i have my hood open and the fan is actually on. Its weird i dont know why it would still rise while the fan is still on. I really dont think its the radiator because the day before the swap of this motor I ran the car and the car never overheated at all. I know the fan is fine and kicks on but the damn thing is still overheating!! Anymore suggestions ?

simplypinoyy 08-03-2004 05:08 PM

bump i need an answer https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emsad.gif If a waterpump doesnt do it then im going to have to bring it to the mechanic https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emsad.gif damn havent been there for awhile....

93 Honda Civic 08-04-2004 08:59 AM

i'm a little new to honda's, but is your water pump directly connected to the timing belt? or is it accessory belt driven?

Filthy Focker! 08-04-2004 09:11 AM

What the hell is this??????? Stop changing parts right now. Do what simply said first. If that checks out, then come back here.

fs

PH3593A 08-04-2004 10:01 AM

radiator cap not sealing? 50/50 mixture on coolant/water?
Had to ask.

simplypinoyy 08-04-2004 06:16 PM

Re: Cant tell if car is Overheating (PH3593A)

coolant/ water is fine.... the cap seems to be sealing no leaking or anything around there...

Caretaker 08-04-2004 06:52 PM

have u had your radiator overhauled or cleaned pare? it might be barado. :D

mafioso102 08-04-2004 08:30 PM

Re: (lowyellow)

first and foremost check to make sure your radiator fan is coming on

93 Honda Civic 08-05-2004 01:16 PM

Re: (mafioso102)

If the fan is coming on, the coolant is at the proper level, there are no leakes anywhere, the cap is fine, the thermostat is fine and the water pump is fine, then the only thing left to be the culprit would be the temp sending unit to your gauge...or the gauge itself.

Go get yourself an ohmeter and test the temp sending unit and see if it is at honda specs. if not, replace it, if so, check your gauge. really not much more else it could be...unless it's all in your mind https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emwink.gif

Just FYI, last night my temp gauge started going all the way up and just started sitting there. So the gauges can screw up every once in a while.

simplypinoyy 08-05-2004 01:25 PM

Re: (93 Honda Civic)

the thing is that I dunno if the water pump is fine....

Slopoke 08-05-2004 02:00 PM

Re: (simplypinoyy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by simplypinoyy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> My car can be driving on the highway for 30 minz and the needle would be past H in the gauge for that 30 minz and my car doesnt even turn off nor any smoke showed. </TD></TR></TABLE>

This statement leads me to believe that the problem is either in your temp sending unit or the guage itself.

If your car was past the "H" for 30 minutes and your car was really overheating, you would have blown a headgasket, warped the head, etc.

texasnick 08-06-2004 08:03 AM

is it acutally overheating or does it just READ that it is?

crx_88_si 08-06-2004 08:29 AM

do you notice the temp gauge on the cluster slowly getting hotter and hotter or is it just normal and then BING right to past "H"?

95stangkillah 08-06-2004 08:55 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93 Honda Civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wooooaaahh...before you go all out and change the water pump, a bad water pump will do one of two things...

1.) The seal will go bad and it will start to "weap" out of the weap hole. You will have to take the timing cover off to see this, but if you are not losing any coolant then this is not the problem.

2.) The water pump shaft or bearing may go bad and it will make a BAD knocking sound that sounds like a rod knocking.

If your coolant is at the proper level (make sure the heat is on when adding coolent), then check the simple things first. I would check the radiator fan (and relay), to make sure they are kicking on. If your car is heating up more at idle and stop and start speeds, but seems fine on the highway, the fan is probably not kicking in.

If the fan is fine, then check the coolent temp sender (not the temp SENSOR). They do go bad from time to time. Hope this helps.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hey that sounds like my car. The fan doesn't come on. I have a new radiator, thermostat and waterpump were put in a year ago (oem). Both hoses are hot and firm, adn I'm not low on coolant. it just creeps up under start and stop traffic. I usually turn the heat on to bring it down. I checked the radiator fan fuse, which was fine. how do i check for a bad relay? don't mean to hijack the thread but I need to know. Thanks,

simplypinoyy 08-06-2004 03:06 PM

Re: Cant tell if car is Overheating (95stangkillah)

if the top and bottom hoses for the radiator are soft for both top and bottom it means that the water pump is not good rite ?