Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

cant pump gas into tank without gently squezzing trigger

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 10:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cant pump gas into tank without gently squezzing trigger

i just got a 93 civic dx coupe, and went to fill it up with gas. when i went to pump the gas in, it was pumping for like 2 and a half seconds, and then clicked(basically signifies that tank is full). But it wasnt so i pump again and it lasted 3 seconds and leaked very little gas out, wich is still an issue to me. so after 20mins of getting all the gas in everything was fine, no leaks, nothing. what do you think it can be? can it be clogged? can the piping be bent? by the way the car has a nissan gas cap, it came with the car, wich is really random.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:15 PM

Default Re: cant pump gas into tank without gently squezzing trigger (EFLS89)

The main reason for that is the way the gas tanks are designed. The nozzle is dug into the downspout of the tank and causes the gas to reflect off the tank internally and splashing back onto the nozzle of the pump making it click as if the tank was full. All you have to do is to ensure you dont dig the pump all the way into the gas tank. If it clicks, pull it out a little until u find the right spot where it wont click, letting you fill up ur tank with that beautiful (hopefully 94 octane) gasoline.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:35 AM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: cant pump gas into tank without gently squezzing trigger (Filippo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Filippo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The main reason for that is the way the gas tanks are designed. The nozzle is dug into the downspout of the tank and causes the gas to reflect off the tank internally and splashing back onto the nozzle of the pump making it click as if the tank was full. All you have to do is to ensure you dont dig the pump all the way into the gas tank. If it clicks, pull it out a little until u find the right spot where it wont click, letting you fill up ur tank with that beautiful (hopefully 94 octane) gasoline.</TD></TR></TABLE>
First off... if this were true, why don't all Civics (or all cars in general) do this?

Second, why in hell would you put 94 octane into a DX?
Old 10-21-2007, 01:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: cant pump gas into tank without gently squezzing trigger (Filippo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
First off... if this were true, why don't all Civics (or all cars in general) do this?

Second, why in hell would you put 94 octane into a DX?</TD></TR></TABLE>

They do, if the nozzle is in wrong (angled) it will kick off.

As for the 94 octane in a stock DX, no idea.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EFLS89 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i just got a 93 civic dx coupe, and went to fill it up with gas. when i went to pump the gas in, it was pumping for like 2 and a half seconds, and then clicked(basically signifies that tank is full). But it wasnt so i pump again and it lasted 3 seconds and leaked very little gas out, wich is still an issue to me. so after 20mins of getting all the gas in everything was fine, no leaks, nothing. what do you think it can be? can it be clogged? can the piping be bent? by the way the car has a nissan gas cap, it came with the car, wich is really random.</TD></TR></TABLE>

My friend's benz E320 had this same problem, you could only fill it half way or it'd overflow (or if the pump is in good working order it would disengage). Unfortunately he never found the problem, though I'd reckon that it's somewhere in the neck.
Old 10-21-2007, 04:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just try pulling it out a little bit
this occasionally happens at the random gas station.

now if someone can tell me why my credit card company won't let me use my card at the pump, and it flashes "see attendant" at every gas station......even if i use debit.....
Old 10-21-2007, 07:03 AM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: cant pump gas into tank without gently squezzing trigger (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">They do, if the nozzle is in wrong (angled) it will kick off.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I understand this. I meant if it does it all the time.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (instrument)

thanks for the input , as for the card issue(wich I'm not sure if u where being serious). it can be either A) the cashier is supposed to check for I.D, to make sure no one is out there with stolen cards. or B) whenever the clerk or cashier see's a Honda or Acura pull up, they automatically deny the use of a card (those bastards!). I don't know, just a wild guess..
Old 10-30-2007, 08:28 PM

Default Re: (EFLS89)

Did you ever solve the problem?

My car does the same thing. It's been like that ever since I got it back from the body shop. Left quarter panel damaged on side with fuel filler hose. I'm in the process of fixing it myself, but still have not found the culprit. The fuel pump nozzle at the gas station shuts off every single time. It has nothing to do with angle of nozzle or anything. It's definitely a malfunctioning component on car.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Power of Dreams)

i havent got the chance yet, what i was actually going to do was take the neck from another eg coupe, theres 4 bolts (10m) around the gas cap, i removed them, but it still wouldnt budge. so im guessing theres some more bolts under the car. if you if there is let me know, i want to gt the bottom of this. im tired of taking 20mins for 20 dollars worth of gas , i apreciate the feed back. let me know what your results are
Old 11-14-2007, 07:41 PM

Default Re: (EFLS89)

Will do that.