Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

can't make up my mind, boost the d or ls swap and eventually boost it...

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can't make up my mind, boost the d or ls swap and eventually boost it...

k, as most of u kno i'm in the process of piecing together a turbo kit for my d16. but my plans are to
eventually have a b18b boosted in my ej.I'm tired of bs'n myself and not making up my mind, this friday i am doin one or the other..
So my question is, cuz i have the cash for either or, should i do the ls swap so it's done and outta the way and hold off on boosting, or boost the d16 and eventually
pick up an ls swap? i kno it's what i wanna do, but it's 50/50 in my head right now, so can u guys point
me into the smarter of the two choices...btw i got someone wantin to buy my d16 swap which will cover
75% of my ls swap (i got a deal waitin) so should i just do up the ls, or boost the d??
Thanks in advance all!!!
Old 01-26-2010, 12:45 PM

Default Re: can't make up my mind, boost the d or ls swap and eventually boost it...

ide take the ls myself, ima proud owner of a ls eg lol but got no science behind it besides more power potential
Old 01-26-2010, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: can't make up my mind, boost the d or ls swap and eventually boost it...

ls ftw

you can make a lot more power on a stock ls than on a stock d-series. d-series are about 225hp max, ls's are good for 300+ before they fly apart on ya lol.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by D16SiHatch
ls ftw

you can make a lot more power on a stock ls than on a stock d-series. d-series are about 225hp max, ls's are good for 300+ before they fly apart on ya lol.
haha nice! thanks guys so far for the info, i'm leanin towards the ls swap, i like the idea of an empty
engine bay, i can clean it after 16 years of weather,dirt,and rust, then drop in a clean motor

also u with the ls swapped eg, i'll bet compared to a d16 it pulls hard huh? even harder with a gsr
tranny i'll bet even w/o boost huh
Old 01-26-2010, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

phuk it turbo your D but take it as a learnin moment as i bet you will need to swap it out eventualy. plus should be fun and you could later on sell it for a ls swap. and learn from your D series turbo makin your later on ls turbo set up a beast
Old 01-26-2010, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd say turbo your D. save money and get the ls. Then turbo that one down the road. A turbo D is going to be more fun than an ls. Trust me. Ive driven a turbo D with an sti turbo tuned on an FMU and it was pretty quick (boost lag sucked ). Just make sure you tune it the right way. My cousin blew like 3 motors in a few months running about 15 psi on that turbo.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mach0
I'd say turbo your D. save money and get the ls. Then turbo that one down the road. A turbo D is going to be more fun than an ls. Trust me. Ive driven a turbo D with an sti turbo tuned on an FMU and it was pretty quick (boost lag sucked ). Just make sure you tune it the right way. My cousin blew like 3 motors in a few months running about 15 psi on that turbo.
ahhh decisions decisions, my buddy has an 07 sti and is tellin me just to boost my car and have a sleeper
lol, then like u guys said save up to do a beastly ls later down the rd...ah idk guys, friday is comin quick
Old 01-26-2010, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

up to you man. there's positives and negatives to both options
Old 01-26-2010, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Boost D
Old 01-26-2010, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

up to you man. there's positives and negatives to both options
X2! OP, you'll have to read more tech. info on both engines and kinda figure things out for yourself. As here you will get opinions from both sides, opinions to say get the LS, and opinions to say stay with the D. Theres no cut and dry answer. Just peoples personal prefrence.

Originally Posted by mikej94civex
also u with the ls swapped eg, i'll bet compared to a d16 it pulls hard huh? even harder with a gsr
tranny i'll bet even w/o boost huh
I don't know about that, I swapped my LS with GSR tranny in April of 2008 so I have had it in for alot of miles. My LS has basic bolt-ons as did my D16Z6 and to me the LS doesn't seem to pull any harder, or if so..not by a whole lot and my engine is good and everything running great also, no problems at all.

Or maybe since its closing in on 2 years driving the LS I have just forgot what the D16Z6 felt like. The day I drove my LS out of my shop after the swap I can't remember how I felt that it compared to the Z6. I do know the LS has a ton more bottom end than the Z6 and that I have more fun driving the LS. Then again I have gotten a bit older and reving to 7,000RPMs all the time doesn't happen as much anymore so I don't notice the LS's lower redline that much.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Matt93eg
X2! OP, you'll have to read more tech. info on both engines and kinda figure things out for yourself. As here you will get opinions from both sides, opinions to say get the LS, and opinions to say stay with the D. Theres no cut and dry answer. Just peoples personal prefrence.

I don't know about that, I swapped my LS with GSR tranny in April of 2008 so I have had it in for alot of miles. My LS has basic bolt-ons as did my D16Z6 and to me the LS doesn't seem to pull any harder, or if so..not by a whole lot and my engine is good and everything running great also, no problems at all.

Or maybe since its closing in on 2 years driving the LS I have just forgot what the D16Z6 felt like. The day I drove my LS out of my shop after the swap I can't remember how I felt that it compared to the Z6. I do know the LS has a ton more bottom end than the Z6 and that I have more fun driving the LS. Then again I have gotten a bit older and reving to 7,000RPMs all the time doesn't happen as much anymore so I don't notice the LS's lower redline that much.
that's what i was going to say, LS's have more torque on bottom end

both are fun, I love dseries, but LS's do have more potential

my opinion is boost the sohc for now and save and buy a b18c and boost that
Old 01-26-2010, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I've never had a B, but I boosted my D and love it. I wouldn't recommend doing both, just save your money for one of them. You should boost the D, we are a dying breed.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SOHCIT
Well I've never had a B, but I boosted my D and love it. I wouldn't recommend doing both, just save your money for one of them. You should boost the D, we are a dying breed.
yes indeed they r, i wanna keep the single slammer, b series as much as i respect anything honda, are
overrated in my town...so looks like friday i'll b orderin the rest my stuff for my turbo, and the d
will be boosted within a mth, and yes ht i'll put up pics
boosted d it is!
Old 01-26-2010, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Matt93eg

yes, opinions are what i wanted...and they helped make my decision
Old 01-26-2010, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ls ftw

The D can hold more than 225. They can run 300 stock with a good tune.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:57 PM

dont worry bro am work on boosting i D to make mad power the jdm D as ***** as far ls i dont know so much about him but if i was to swap my motor out i would go with a k20
Old 01-26-2010, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you are set in stone on picking up the b18b down the line, may as well get it now if you know what you're doing set-up wise. I personally plan on building a turbo d eventually though, it seems like the most power for your money to me.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:21 PM

boost the D.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The D can hold more than 225. They can run 300 stock with a good tune.
o rly? you must have jesus as your tuner then
Old 01-26-2010, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Some stock D-Blocks have known to hold up to 450hp without issues with a good tune. So it's possible WITH A GOOD *** TUNE. TUNE TUNE
Old 01-26-2010, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ya rly

Personally I wouldn't push it past about the 270 mark though.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol hahahaha, very true

Originally Posted by ReVeNgEd-SoN
Some stock D-Blocks have known to hold up to 450hp without issues with a good tune. So it's possible WITH A GOOD *** TUNE. TUNE TUNE
the blocks aren't the problem, if your talking about the AWD ef that claims it made 450 whp on a stock d16z6, i heard that was a big hoax.

the rods are the problem in the dseries and in the y series D's the oiling system is not as great as prior generation D's. they are way to long to make up for the small bore size. when i pulled my stock motor apart i was scared at how skinny the rods are and how long. it made me wonder how they can hold so much power

ya rly

Personally I wouldn't push it past about the 270 mark though.
lol i wouldn't push it much past 230 especially in any D other than a z6 unless you are talking about hp at the crank
Old 01-27-2010, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

turbo d
built ls/vtec
Old 01-27-2010, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

haha u guys r awesome....i'm literally sittin here right now about to buy either turbo ****, or swap ****
Old 01-27-2010, 07:25 PM
New User

i put a Z6 in my 1st EG, then put in a fresh B18B w/ LS trans, then put on a GSR trans (NA-GSRtrans/ Boosted-LStrans) & I thought it was more fun w/ the B18B (and them short gears in the GSR trans) cuz the motor didn't seem like it was tryin as hard as the D16Z6. The LS motor has so much low end that it'll take a little while for u to get bored w/ it.
I just had a Twin Turbo Audi A6 (yes, it was a BEAST) & honestly my Go-Kart w/ doors was more fun.

Quick Reply: can't make up my mind, boost the d or ls swap and eventually boost it...