Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Can't get your TPS off?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 07:39 AM
Loves Tossing Salad

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Can't get your TPS off?

HT members!

Had to replace my TPS the other day and found out it was going to be a little more difficult than expected, so I decided to take a few pictures and let people know what worked for me. It's a real simple process but my thinking was that some may run into the same situation and question which way is best to release the TPS from the throttle body. This worked for me and could quite possibly work for your application as well. Mine was off a 98 EX Civic with a D16Y8 stock Intake Mani.

Tools needed after removing the throttle body from IM:
-Dremel with cutting wheel and 320 grit wheel accessory
-Channel locks (pliers of some sort will work too)
-Flat head screwdriver

So here is what I started with,

Starting point

Before starting the cuts with the Dremel, I put the cutting wheel accessory on and made two slits in the screws that hold the TPS in place. This will come in handy later.

Slits in the screw heads are made.

Gasket and rusted screws make it pretty much impossible to get off.

Cut threw the sensor around the screws. Go until you are close to the gasket, no need to cut threw until you see it.

Right around there is fine. This is because the at this point the sensor is held on by a thread and you can simply clamp some channels on there and twist is off.

Clamp the channel locks (Pliers) around one of the remaining screws and start turning counter clockwise to relieve the screw. Should end up with something like this.

Or this....

After removing the screws, go ahead and clean up the surface with an exacto-knife blade or if that doesn't work, the 320 grit dremel attachment. After some clean up you should end up with a clean surface.

Still nice and flat.

Install the new gasket and TPS. The screws that came with mine did not fit but I was able to use the old screws because of the slits I created in the beginning. This allowed me to use a flat head to tighten them or loosen while calibrating.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:45 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: Can't get your TPS off?

https://honda-tech.com/honda-civic-d...ensor-2193100/
Old 01-04-2015, 07:51 AM
Loves Tossing Salad

Not gonna lie, after trying to remove mine the video above would been like best case scenario you run into haha my explanation would be if the above video does not work out for you (obviously).
Old 01-04-2015, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

After using the Dremel tool to etch a slot in the top of the screws, you can generally remove the screws with a flathead screwdriver. You say your screws were too rusted to remove, but you must have eventually removed them, though it is never mentioned in your write up how you did it.

Edit - Channel locks.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just cut the heads off completely and then use vise grips to remove the screw
Old 01-04-2015, 11:10 AM
Loves Tossing Salad

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
After using the Dremel tool to etch a slot in the top of the screws, you can generally remove the screws with a flathead screwdriver. You say your screws were too rusted to remove, but you must have eventually removed them, though it is never mentioned in your write up how you did it.

Edit - Channel locks.
Etching a slot in the screws were actually the first thing I tried before any removal of the throttle body. I saw it in some other thread and tried it first, no dice. So I took it off for a closer look and decided on this. The fifth or sixth photo's caption explains how I got the screws out with the channel locks twisting counter clockwise.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 09chaplak
Etching a slot in the screws were actually the first thing I tried before any removal of the throttle body. I saw it in some other thread and tried it first, no dice. So I took it off for a closer look and decided on this. The fifth or sixth photo's caption explains how I got the screws out with the channel locks twisting counter clockwise.