Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Can't get the transmission back in place!

Old 05-20-2007, 04:02 PM
utn
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't get the transmission back in place!

Hey everyone, I'm in the middle of changing out my clutch on my '95 Del Sol Si and it seems I've hit a snag. I already installed the new clutch, pressure plate and resurfaced my flywheel but when i try to put the transmission back in it doesn't seem to want to line up. I've aligned the clutch disk correctly with an alignment tool and the only thing left attached to the tranny are the axles (which I've heard don't need to be removed for this job.) Anyway, does anyone have any tips on getting the transmission back in? I tried for hours upon hours yesterday with no luck.

Thanks for any help,
Scott
Old 05-20-2007, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Can't get the transmission back in place! (utn)

Are you alone or do you have an extra set of hands?

Alone, it's easiest if you have a hoist or something to old the tranny while you position it from above.

If you've got a friend, have him rotate it from above while you're underneath supporting/sliding the tranny towards the motor.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:07 PM
utn
Honda-Tech Member

I've got some help from friends but we are still stumped. I have a hydraulic jack underneath the transmission and we have tried rotating the transmission but it doesnt seem to move around that easy. We can get the input shaft to come in contact with the clutch splines but it's always off by just oh so little and we get hung up.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (utn)

The jack isn't gonna cut it. You or one of your buddies is going to have to get down there and bench it so that the input shaft and dowels line up correctly.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:59 PM
utn
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (t0p_sh0tta)

We've tried that a few times and it never lines up right. It feels like the CV axles are holding it back. We can sometimes line up the top bolts and thread them in a little, but there will still be a gap on the bottom of the tranny of about an inch or more. and those bolts arent lined up. I guess the input shaft just never gets aligned correctly, but why..... I changed the clutch on my Jetta a while back and it wasnt any different of a job, but this one is just being a pain. Does anyone have any other tips on getting the transmission to line up correctly? I'm just going to take out the axles next if nothing seems to work.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:48 AM
utn
Honda-Tech Member

bump please
Old 05-21-2007, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

keep going at it...try getting like 2 buddys on the bottom holding up the tranny and like 2 more up top try aligning it and rocking it back an forth at the same time..
Old 05-21-2007, 07:14 AM

pretty much covered already but i found it best when the axles were removed, and the hoist is a big help.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (4drSi)

take the axles out of the transmission
Old 05-21-2007, 07:21 AM

look on the block and check and see if you bent any of the dowel pins i think they are called anyway they look like they dont belong there and can get bent and not let the tanny slide in place they have a hole that they line up with and slide into ...hope that helps
Old 05-21-2007, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i was on the same mission. but i was trying to do it by myself. The bolts would never line up. But the i had a few friends help me and we got it to line up. It takes time if you dont have a hoist holding the weight of the transmission.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:08 AM

Default Re: (92redhatch)

if your in a garage with rafters above you do like this
just some ratchet straps used like a poor mans come along, and since honda trannys aren't that heavy u wont break em.

just hoist it up they and slide it in, i put this one in by myself.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:13 AM
I'm a Jackass

Default Re: (seabass10369)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by seabass10369 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if your in a garage with rafters above you do like this
just some ratchet straps used like a poor mans come along, and since honda trannys aren't that heavy u wont break em.

just hoist it up they and slide it in, i put this one in by myself.</TD></TR></TABLE>

dang, very creative
Old 05-21-2007, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Cursing usually works for me.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Cursing usually works for me. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes'sir! Cursing always gets **** done.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:04 AM

Default Re: (Luserkid)

Before you hold the tranny up you should have applied a little bit of grease on the input shaft and on the tip of the input shaft so it can go in smoothly into the pilot bearing. and also put some grease on the dowel pins as well.

If you are having such a hard time then i would recommend getting a longer tranny bolt, put it on the top front of the tranny and screw in a little bit just enough to secure it in place.

Then wiggle it, kick it and push that baby in place. If it did not go in then use put another bolt on rear bottom of the engine and gentle guide it in. Remember do not use force you want that baby to glide in, and continue to kick the tranny from the passenger side.

By holding it in place with 2 long bolts you should have the energy to shake it in place.

Good luck.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:43 PM

Default Re: (CRX T-Si)

I just did this and had no problems at all, no tools just me holding it and wiggling it from side to side until the splines lined up. We didnt have the axles in the transmission though.
my guess (just a guess) is that with the axles attached, the transmission is not going to have any play in it which makes lining it up much harder.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:13 PM

Default Re: (ilovemycoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ilovemycoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

dang, very creative </TD></TR></TABLE>

x2 might use this approve when i get ready to do my clutch...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Cursing usually works for me. </TD></TR></TABLE>

x2 have to call it every name in the book at least twice.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:08 AM
utn
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry, I didn't see all of the help you guys posted. But I FINALLY got the transmission back in place! I went to Ace Hardware and purchased bolts that had the same size and thread pitch as the stock honda bolts but were just much longer. I was able to put bolts in one by one until I had all the important holes filled, the transmission was probably 3 inches away from the engine by then and it just slid along the bolts right into place. I'm going to go pickup some GM Synchromesh gear oil and see if I did everything right.

Thanks a lot for the help,
Scott
Old 05-22-2007, 08:02 AM

You can get the Pennzoil Synchromesh oil from Autozone. Same stuff without the price tag. Only Autozone carries it by the gear oil section.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So youre reusing the the original honda bolts now? (since the ones you purchased are longer, i mean)
I suggest you put blue threadlock on each of them...
Old 05-22-2007, 08:43 AM

Default Re: (pdiggitydogg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pdiggitydogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So youre reusing the the original honda bolts now? (since the ones you purchased are longer, i mean)
I suggest you put blue threadlock on each of them...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't do that man, all you need is a little bit of Anti-sieze on the Tranny bolts and you will be fine.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the bolts are (brainfart....whatever you call it when theyre self-locking one-time-only)
If you reuse them, they can back themselves out (happened to me once and has happened to others)
Old 05-22-2007, 10:09 AM
Go Tigers!

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

there's no tensional force being exerted on the stock bolts

I had a longer and more informative reply, but Internet explorer sucks and killed it.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bense)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">there's no tensional force being exerted on the stock bolts</TD></TR></TABLE>

just check the specs on the inline for the rotary-durter and you'll be all good...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can't get the transmission back in place!