Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Cant get TDC, help?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cant get TDC, help?

I am going to adjust my valve clearance. I know the concept of TDC and i know what it is, i just dont know how to get it. I heard to crank the pulley, does that mean put the key in and have the engine turn over and it will eventually get to TDC? or is there another right way to get to TDC?
Old 12-26-2004, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Cant get TDC, help? (silentblackhat)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by silentblackhat &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am going to adjust my valve clearance. I know the concept of TDC and i know what it is, i just dont know how to get it. I heard to crank the pulley, does that mean put the key in and have the engine turn over and it will eventually get to TDC? or is there another right way to get to TDC?</TD></TR></TABLE>

TDC= top dead center

you want cylinder #1 at TDC

assuming you have a sohc engine. the cam pulley has a "up" mark on it. that should be pointing on top. also there's a line on the pulley that should line up with a pointer mark that is on the timing cover. they should be line up at roughly 7 o'clock.

now the crankshaft pulley. there's a three white marks on the pulley. one on left is 14 degree TDC, middle is 16 degree TDC, and right one is 18 degree TDC. you want it at 16 degree TDC. that middle one should be lining up with a pointer that is attached to the timing belt cover.

that's basiclly for TDC on cylinder #1. it would be more helpful if you have a helms manual(factory tech manual). that should give you a complete rundown on what you need to do.
Old 12-26-2004, 01:31 PM

Default Re: Cant get TDC, help? (sleeperciv)

i allready knew what TDC and why i need to have it at tdc for the #1 cyl. I have a helms but i cant find where it says how to get to TDC. i just need to nkow how to get it to TDC. i know alot about the car stuff i just dont knew a few things and one of hte few things is how to get to TDC on my SOHC engine. cn anyone tell me where to look in my helms on how to get tdc. it says rotate crankshaft but, that thing seems to not want to budge when i try to turn it by hand
Old 12-26-2004, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by silentblackhat &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i allready knew what TDC and why i need to have it at tdc for the #1 cyl. I have a helms but i cant find where it says how to get to TDC. i just need to nkow how to get it to TDC. i know alot about the car stuff i just dont knew a few things and one of hte few things is how to get to TDC on my SOHC engine. cn anyone tell me where to look in my helms on how to get tdc. it says rotate crankshaft but, that thing seems to not want to budge when i try to turn it by hand</TD></TR></TABLE>

that's obviously one of the problem, you need a breaker bar and socket to turn the engine over manually. also it would make the job easier too if you remove the sparkplugs so you don't have to compress the pistons. the tdc section in the helms manual is at: engine section look for the timing belt illustration

I'm surprised you haven't read the manual from the first page to the last yet.
Old 12-26-2004, 03:06 PM
H-T White Ops

You have to pull your plugs to be able to rotate your engine by turning the crank pulley.

::Edit::
Damnit Sleeper, didn't see that you already pointed that out.
Old 12-26-2004, 04:11 PM

do not forget to go in order. 1-3-4-2 I prefer going off the camgear mark and a long screwdriver in the cylinder
Old 12-26-2004, 04:28 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can do it that way, or a way i find easier, is roll the engine till the intake valves open fully, then you know the exhaust valves are closed. adjust the exh valves, then roll the engine over till the exhaust valves are open then adjust the intake valves. thats the way i have been doin them for the last 15 years.
Old 12-26-2004, 07:33 PM

Default Re: Cant get TDC, help? (boostedcivicsir)

So to turn the crankshaft pulley, i take out the sparkplugs and then turn the pulley with a socket on the pulley bolt to turn it? I know i sound like a stupid moron so im ready to take crap from ppl if they want to give it to me.
Old 12-26-2004, 07:40 PM

dont forget to take it out of gear
Old 12-26-2004, 09:49 PM

Default Re: Cant get TDC, help? (chucka64dr)

alright thanks, sry for the stupid questions. i know it doesnt seem like it but i know how to do many things on my car. this is jsut the few things that i didnt know how to. i knew the concept why i needed it at TDC and what TDC was...i jsut didnt know how to turn the engine over manually to do it. thanks tho