Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Cant Get my EG8 started

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cant Get my EG8 started

ok folks bear with me on this one.

i just picked up a EG8 DX 5spd for a remarkably dirt cheap price, so im not complaining that its not starting cuz its been sitting for 3-4 years maybe longer.

the car has an EX motor in it, and i just picked up a new honda battery for it today, with hopes it would start. first i checked the plugs and they seemed fine, while i was doing all this i had jumper cables connected to the battery and my car.

then i sparyed just a tad of starting fluid in the engine. the car has power and all the accessories worked, the belts even moved on there own. the starter cranks, but the car wont turn over.

finally me and my buddy tried pop starting it a few times, and it was so close to starting and while each of us took turns pushing from the back, we heard the exhaust making a BLOP BLOP type noise each time the clutch was dropped.

were gonna let it sit overnight, and try in the morning, but if you guys have any tips, advice, or insight to our problem before we start in the morning, that would be appreciated.

Old 05-12-2007, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Cant Get my EG8 started (972xghost)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 972xghost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok folks bear with me on this one.

then i sparyed just a tad of starting fluid in the engine. the car has power and all the accessories worked, the belts even moved on there own. the starter cranks, but the car wont turn over.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

why would you spray starter fluid in a fuel injected motor?
also, if the starter is cranking, that means the motor is turning over.

have you checked your fuel pump? can you hear it prime when you turn on the car? not start it, but when you turn the key and the gauges light up.

also, when cranking it, did you check to see if you had any spark?

and you should pick up a repair manual, it will help you with trouble shooingt the car and show you the proper way.
Old 05-12-2007, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

heard the starter fluid might help.

no i cant hear the fuel pump prime.

thanks for your help.
Old 05-12-2007, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (972xghost)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 972xghost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">heard the starter fluid might help.

no i cant hear the fuel pump prime.

thanks for your help.</TD></TR></TABLE>

never heard of using starter fluid.

if you can't hear the pump prime, chances are your main relay is shot, that is one of hondas weak flaws. my suggestion is, pick up a brand new one at the dealer. they run between $40-50. make sure you have exhausted all other possiblities. i would hate for you to buy one and it not be the problem.

the main relay is located behind the driverside kick panel. is a rectagular gray box.
it say main relay on it.
Old 05-12-2007, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok thanks man, i work for honda so i get a nice employee discount, but yea i will definitly look into that. i never thought i would be able to hear the pump prime, im pretty sure i havent heard anything like that on my CL??
Old 05-12-2007, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 972xghost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok thanks man, i work for honda so i get a nice employee discount, but yea i will definitly look into that. i never thought i would be able to hear the pump prime, im pretty sure i havent heard anything like that on my CL??</TD></TR></TABLE>

well, the cl is an "acura", so i'm sure honda tried their best to hide any unnecessary noises. but once you turn on the car, you should able to hear a humming noise come from the back seat. it will not last long, maybe 5-10 seconds.
Old 05-12-2007, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You should definitely be able to hear the fuel pump prime when you turn your key to the "on " position. If you can't, there's a good chance it is the main relay.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Wharbone)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Wharbone &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You should definitely be able to hear the fuel pump prime when you turn your key to the "on " position. If you can't, there's a good chance it is the main relay.</TD></TR></TABLE>

or fuel pump, this is where troubleshooting comes into play and not just shooting the parts cannon at it. also correct me if im wrong but im assuming you already checked all the fuses.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

why would you spray starter fluid in a fuel injected motor? </TD></TR></TABLE>

quick/easy way of telling if your getting fuel or not regardless of carbureated or FI...if it starts for a brief second chances are you have a fuel problem...its just not good to spray massive amounts into the the throttle body or you will harm your motor.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i had this problem after swaping out my zc and putting in my h22, after it was sitting for 2 years. it was the fuel pump, it seized up. might had happend to you. just take your rear lower seat off and take your fuel pump out and look. my was sooo corroded it was just nasty.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:28 PM

philosofy1 Never heard of using starting fluid to help start an engine!!! Starting fluid can basically start any engine even if it runs like **** after you spray it into the INTAKE and the engine starts up . Starting fluid WILL make your ENGINE LIFE SHORTER so, use it wisely.
Old 05-12-2007, 10:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i did use it very wisely, and tommorow morning i will check the main relay and the fuel pump.

i will check back into this thread in the morning. thanks for all of your input.
Old 05-13-2007, 02:06 AM

problem ever get resolved ?
Old 05-13-2007, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If it is the main relay, you can usually fix them yourself by re-soldering the dry solder joints.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no i havent gotten a chance to even look at the car today, slept late, busy around the house, and its mothers day so ill check back in later.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (philosofy1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

never heard of using starter fluid.

if you can't hear the pump prime, chances are your main relay is shot, that is one of hondas weak flaws. my suggestion is, pick up a brand new one at the dealer. they run between $40-50. make sure you have exhausted all other possiblities. i would hate for you to buy one and it not be the problem.

the main relay is located behind the driverside kick panel. is a rectagular gray box.
it say main relay on it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

will i have to take out the driverside seat to get to it or no?
Old 05-13-2007, 11:01 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 972xghost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

will i have to take out the driverside seat to get to it or no?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No! It is by your left foot if you were sitting in the car. By the hood release, that area.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok cool man thanks
Old 05-13-2007, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok couldnt find the main relay, but i dont think fuel is the issue here.

the car can only crank with jumper cables connected to my other car and it just doesnt seem like the car is getting spark.

all the fuses are fine.

soooo im assuming it could be the dizzy or alternator.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 972xghost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok couldnt find the main relay, but i dont think fuel is the issue here.

the car can only crank with jumper cables connected to my other car and it just doesnt seem like the car is getting spark.

all the fuses are fine.

soooo im assuming it could be the dizzy or alternator. </TD></TR></TABLE>

The main relay is right by your fuse box (in cabin). Should be really easy to see. If you can't hear your fuel pump kick on, you have a fuel problem. You might also have other separate problems also.

For the needing to attach jumpers problem, I would assume that your battery has got wore down from all the cranking you have been doing. It is a battery issue if it is fixed by getting a jump.

If it were the alternator, your car could still start (but would die soon). If it were your dizzy, the car would still crank.

I'd re-charge your battery and fix your fuel problem first before troubleshooting other areas.

Old 05-14-2007, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i bought the battery a few days ago from honda. even on the first try it needed assistance.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well easy way to check for spark is pull one ot the wires and placw close to another metal surface like the valve cover and try to start it you should be able to se the electric spark shoot out and the main realy is Gray with a dark orange bottom it has a 10mm screw that goes in right above the hood release cant miss it only thing there it says mitsa or something like that when you take it off
Old 05-14-2007, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 972xghost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i bought the battery a few days ago from honda. even on the first try it needed assistance. </TD></TR></TABLE>

It still wouldn't be an alternator or a dizzy that is preventing your engine from cranking.

Even if the battery is new, it is probably wore down a bit if you have been cranking on it. Since the car isn't turning over, the alternator is not charging the battery, so you will need to do this yourself.

I'd also check all of your grounds. Clean any that look dirty or corroded.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Wharbone)

if the motor cranks then its one of 3 problems..... either no fuel, no spark, or an issue with timing...
Old 05-15-2007, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the advice guys.

im hoping its not timing.

Quick Reply: Cant Get my EG8 started