Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Cant get my car into first gear...

Old 09-20-2004, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cant get my car into first gear...

hey guys, i got up the other morning to go to work, got in the car, backed it out of the driveway. I put it ifirst to take off... but it didn't feel right I couldn't push it all the way in gear. I tried to take off and it ran a couple feet the poped out of gear. I can get it to drive but only if I hold it in gear really hard.

Any ideas why i wouldnt be able to get the car to go into gear?

btw, its a 95 civic ex turbo.

thanks for any help guys.

bill
Old 09-20-2004, 09:30 AM

Default Re: Cant get my car into first gear... (jl110ex)

just so theres no confusion it goes into all other gears just fine. just wont go all the way into first
Old 09-20-2004, 09:35 AM
All Motor Mentor

could be a couple different things but if you want to rule out it having to do with the clutch, shut your car off and see if it goes into first gear. If it does then you know it is clutch related, if it's pretty much the same with the motor running or not, it's something else...possibly linkage or maybe a synchro.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cant get my car into first gear... (00Red_SiR)

Maybe a shift fork?
Old 09-20-2004, 09:46 AM

Default Re: Cant get my car into first gear... (******)

not tryin to steal th epost but what does the shift fork do and do you have just one or one for every gear?
Old 09-20-2004, 12:01 PM

Default Re: Cant get my car into first gear... (jdm123)

ok i went out and checked, it wont go into gear even when off. so i asume that rules out any part of the clutch and the fork.. the fork is just the thing that pulls the clutch in and out right?

im gonna jack it up and look at the linkages.. it has always leaked but the clutch fluid and the tranny oil is high enough.. if it's a syncro i might as well get a new trans. right?

thanks a bunch

bill
Old 09-20-2004, 12:12 PM

There is indeed a fork on the clutch release bearing, but I think ****** was referring to one of the three forks which actuate the gears inside the transmission. Check the linkage as 00Red_SiR suggested, but my money is on internal transmission damage. Luckily for you, D-series transmissions are relatively cheap.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jl110ex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok i went out and checked, it wont go into gear even when off. so i asume that rules out any part of the clutch and the fork.. the fork is just the thing that pulls the clutch in and out right?

im gonna jack it up and look at the linkages.. it has always leaked but the clutch fluid and the tranny oil is high enough.. if it's a syncro i might as well get a new trans. right?

thanks a bunch

bill</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 09-20-2004, 12:12 PM
All Motor Mentor

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jl110ex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok i went out and checked, it wont go into gear even when off. so i asume that rules out any part of the clutch and the fork.. the fork is just the thing that pulls the clutch in and out right?

thanks a bunch

bill</TD></TR></TABLE>

Looks like it's nothing to do with the clutch....the fork is just the actuation lever between your slave cylinder and throw out bearing. While it's possible to be bent or something, I would expect it to cause a problem in selecting any gear and not just first gear. Shift linkage could also be a problem if it got hit by road debris or has something jamed up in it but again I would assume that would affect all gear selection (I would still check it though). Gear synchro is a possibility as well BUT if your car is shut off I would think that it would still go into gear unless it's majorly damaged. Synchros don't normally go suddenly like that though...were you having troubles with it grinding in first gear or popping out?
Old 09-20-2004, 12:38 PM
Global Moderator

Default Re: Cant get my car into first gear... (******)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ****** &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Maybe a shift fork?</TD></TR></TABLE>

My thoughts.
Old 09-20-2004, 01:08 PM

Default Re: Cant get my car into first gear... (Jimmy)

i have had some problems in the past with noise while the clutch pedal is out. it was pretty loud going though first gear, but i always thought it was the trow-out bearing. as it always makes niose when the clutch is out, in or out of gear.

it still shifts perfect into all other gears. my dad thinks it has to do with the prothane shifter bushing. i only replaced the rear suport bushing right behind the shifter, because it was rattling around in the old metal one.

so are we all thinking is some thing inside the transmition then?

bill
Old 09-20-2004, 03:36 PM

There is a big possibility its your transmission. Same thing happened to me. I was driving in third when all of a sudden it went out on me. It felt like the gear had slipped out. After I stopped and inspected the car my first gear wouldnt go in but the rest were fine. I also heard alot of rattling coming from my engine. It ended up being my transmission. Hope this could help you out.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cant get my car into first gear... (HondaCivicAddict)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jazzman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There is indeed a fork on the clutch release bearing, but I think ****** was referring to one of the three forks which actuate the gears inside the transmission. Check the linkage as 00Red_SiR suggested, but my money is on internal transmission damage. Luckily for you, D-series transmissions are relatively cheap.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was referring to the forks that are inside the transmission. There is a shifter fork for gears 1 and 2, one for 3 and 4, and one for 5 and reverse. Without going into grave detail, when you change gears there is a little tab that either pushes up or down on a portion of the shifter fork, and the shifter fork is connected to the gearsets via a "c shaped ring", and this changes the gears for you. Sometimes this "c shaped ring" can become bent causing gear selection to be difficult, and also sometimes results in the transmission "popping" out of gear. Hopefully that makes some sense. HTH.