Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Can't find radio screws in 98 civic

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't find radio screws in 98 civic

(98 civic)

I'm trying to remove the (not stock) headunit from the upper console so I can install a better one. I removed the center lower cover (with the 12V plug) and looked up in there to where there are supposedly 2 silver screws holding the rear of the radio in. I can see the rear of the radio, but can't for the life of me find the 2 silver screws. It doesn't help that the white plastic for the climate controls blocks a lot of the radio. Do I have to remove the climate control stuff before I can get to the radio screws?
Old 08-31-2005, 10:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can't find radio screws in 98 civic (violence_hero)

There are 4 7mm screws, i think they're 7mm, under the climate control that bolt onto the metal frame. Make sur eyou take those out and the center console will come right off... dont try tugging it out either, i've seen some serious messes made. Oh and make sure you don't stip the bolts, they're a bitch to get off if they're on tight. Good luck and post some pictures so i can make sure what i just said made sense... cuz it did in my head
Old 09-01-2005, 06:27 PM

Default Re: Can't find radio screws in 98 civic (sagron69)

I removed those 4 screws, but the center console won't even budge. So I looked around and there are 4 more up top on either side, and 2 more above those! I removed the 4 on the sides that went into the frame, for a total of 8 screws removed. The console was still stuck like glue. I couldn't reach the ones way up there, without removing even more of the dash which I have no idea how right now. I basically gave up trying to remove the center console then. But looking at the situation I don't know if I can remove the radio without removing the console.
Supposedly, all you have to do is reach up and unscrew a couple screws from the bottom of the deck and pull it out. I have the original Honda instructions for installing an OEM CD player in the 98 console but that instruction says there are 2 screws on the bottom of the CD player holding it in. (I don't even see holes for screws on the bottom of any of my decks?) When I look at the bottom of the deck that's in the car, I can't see any screws, anywhere.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You wont see the same thing with what you're dealing with because when you install a new deck you have to use an install "kit" which is different in design then the OEM kit for the OEM stereo, like i said try posting a couple pics and see if anyone else can help you out... or stop by your local best buy and see if they can give you a friendly nudge down the "help me" lane... if not tell them to **** off... good luck though
Old 09-01-2005, 06:47 PM

Alright, it's kind of challenging taking pics up in there so here's a simple diagram before I attempt pics again (gotta borrow my friend's credit card cam)

Let me know if this diagram is too crude to understand.

Basically these are the screws I removed in my quest to remove the center console. What else is there and how can I get to them?
Old 09-01-2005, 08:30 PM

My question to you is, why are you taking out the whole thing to take out a radio? You don't need to. All you need to do is take off the trim panel (if it has one) and then there are two clips on either side of the "install kit."

-Shane
Old 09-01-2005, 08:38 PM

Default Re: Can't find radio screws in 98 civic (nighttrain33)

if its anything like my friends 98 hatch then you need to remove the panel under the steering wheel, kind of where your knee is if you're sitting in the driver seat. If you get down there and look towards the center console, there should be a screw there, you can't miss it. Same thing on the other side, might have to take out your glove compartment.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:46 PM

Default Re: Can't find radio screws in 98 civic (2000DX)

here is the steps. Also if the car has keyless entry let me know......
1. extract the 2 srews below the heater controls by the cig plug.
2.extract the 4 screws from the driver knee panel.
3.extract the 2 screws from behind the glove box on the left.
4.Pull down the dash panel under heater controls and unplug cig lighter and remove.
5.looking up to the bottom side of radio extract the 2 screws holding the back edge of radio, then slide the radio out, not the radio bezel, just the radio.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:50 PM

Default Re: Can't find radio screws in 98 civic (redpeppers)

Why have I never seen or heard my friends that have worked at Best Buy for years never talk about taking out the center console or the heater console? Not to mention when I moved my radio from the top to behind the cupholders. You people are doing way too much work.

-Shane
Old 09-01-2005, 09:00 PM

no where did i state taking out the center console....that is only on the new ones....i am a intsaller...i have done millions of these and i have a 97 hatch and the is the easiest way to do it.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:07 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by redpeppers &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no where did i state taking out the center console....that is only on the new ones....i am a intsaller...i have done millions of these and i have a 97 hatch and the is the easiest way to do it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Gotcha. It sounded like everyone else is trying to take out the center console. And like I said, I have a few friends that work at Best Buy, and one of them not works for an aftermarket audio shop, and they never have to take out the center console.

-Shane
Old 09-01-2005, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i had to take out my center console on my 99 si, there were no ands ifs or buts about it... it had to come out for me to change my deck
Old 09-01-2005, 09:48 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sagron69 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i had to take out my center console on my 99 si, there were no ands ifs or buts about it... it had to come out for me to change my deck</TD></TR></TABLE>

I am not sure about those. Since they switched the center console setup, I don't know how they come out. I just know on a '96-98, there is no need to.

-Shane
Old 09-01-2005, 09:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by violence_hero &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">(98 civic)
I'm trying to remove the (not stock) headunit from the upper console so I can install a better one. </TD></TR></TABLE>

What kind of radio are you removing? There probably is no reason to take anything apart. All you should need are the "keys" for the radio and it will slide right out.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can't find radio screws in 98 civic (Auex)

haha, i love the art work!
Old 09-02-2005, 10:38 AM

Hey guys who tried to IM me - I can't respond to IMs right now since I'm still a trial user sorry

Here's the deal:
-Car doesn't have keyless entry (doesn't even have power locks)
-Deck is not stock, it's some cheap Panasonic CD deck
-I have removed the panel underneath the center console and looked up at the bottom of the radio, and I can't see any screws. Not convinced by just looking I reached up and felt around and sure enough there just isn't anything holding the thing on through the bottom.

-Keys...I never got anything like that when I bought the car. I guess I'll head over to BB or something to see if they have anything like that.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:42 AM

There is a trim ring on the radio, I guess I'll try popping that off to see if there's any goodies behind. How do you do it btw?
Old 09-02-2005, 01:37 PM

Here's the pic with the trim ring removed - I'm guessing the silver clips on the sides of the deck holds it in? Do I need the "key" for this? Where can I get these at?

Old 09-02-2005, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 09-02-2005, 03:21 PM

Default Re: Can't find radio screws in 98 civic (Auex)

yeah they have special tools to do that. just get it taken out at a shop it wont cost much
Old 09-03-2005, 09:07 AM

Default Re: Can't find radio screws in 98 civic (khaa)

all u need to do on the radio is push the 2 metal tab inward and it will come out