Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Can't decide between d-series turbo or h22?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 02:25 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 Can't decide between d-series turbo or h22?

hey guys i have a 95 civic ex coupe and im looking to either stay d-series and boost or just get a h22 and gradually beef up.My goal HP right now is a mid 200 hp to the wheel but would love a 400 hp car in the future.This car will be a daily driver but i need some power .please any help will be apreciated.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can't decide between d-series turbo or h22?

im running an h22 in my ej6 and i dont think i will ever drive anything lower than a 2.0. But if want to easly get to 400 hp, then a h22 is a good way to go. just my $.02
Old 06-28-2009, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

h22.
Old 06-28-2009, 03:32 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The D series stock turbo will get you around 220-240whp safely and cost less than the H22 swap. When it comes time to upgrade, you can put together a cheap Eagle/Vitara setup in your D and make 400whp+. I dont see any reason to swap...
Old 06-28-2009, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep the D!
Old 06-28-2009, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

H22.
Old 06-28-2009, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

although i like the h22 styll boost the D16z6, and since yu got the p28 ecu tuning is easy
Old 06-28-2009, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

get the H22!!

that way maybe you would want to buy the H22 into EG motor mounts I have for sale
Old 06-28-2009, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Schister66
The D series stock turbo will get you around 220-240whp safely and cost less than the H22 swap. When it comes time to upgrade, you can put together a cheap Eagle/Vitara setup in your D and make 400whp+. I dont see any reason to swap...
I agree with this... You an build an Eagle/Vitara setup a little later and you would definately make 400whp.. they are very good builds and everything..
Old 06-28-2009, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

keep the D-series..parts are easier to find..dont waste money swappin that motor in..the torques nice but thats bout it..motors heavy..boost the d-series..boosted cars are more fun..and plus u can stil get really good gas mileage out of a turbo car..i just got 41.5 mpg out of my built d series setup..on a road trip..off boost..
Old 06-28-2009, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boostatic
keep the D-series..parts are easier to find..dont waste money swappin that motor in..the torques nice but thats bout it..motors heavy..boost the d-series..boosted cars are more fun..and plus u can stil get really good gas mileage out of a turbo car..i just got 41.5 mpg out of my built d series setup..on a road trip..off boost..
ppl actually get better mpg when boosted, now staying away from boost thats the problem
Old 06-28-2009, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol..yea i have a blown headgasket that pushed coolant out under boost so im layin off the boost for now..thats y i got that good gas mileage..
Old 06-28-2009, 09:36 PM
New User

Location: currently california originally indianapolis,indiana

its basically up to you and what you like cause the d series and the h series both have thier ups and down i perfer b series but all though the d series is easier to build and turbo the h series will have more torque and also the h you will b able to build in the future. but if you want the power i stay turbo but you have time soo you can always swap the h and then turbo it later thats what i would do no big rush just do it right and in the long run you will like it better
Old 06-28-2009, 10:49 PM
New User

yeah im kinda a fan of my d16 just cause ppl wont reall expect getting whooped by one . so if i do decide to stay d would any turbo kit work(like the ebay kits)or what brand would be good? And for the block you guys said the vitara pistons with eagle rods and thats it? sorry kinda unfamiliar with turbo and builds lol.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ya dude i own a 98 ex with a d16y8 and i wanted to boost it 8-10 psi dd but said **** that and decided to get a b18 and make and all motor car will last much longer dont boost your h22 if u get one the sleeves are know to go out real easily, but if u do decide to boost ur d series get a good tune thats what its all about
Old 06-29-2009, 12:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

boost the D, save for a K or J swap. stock J35 would whoop the **** outta a 300hp boosted D, and would put a K20/24 with boltons to shame, there is way more aftermarket for the K then the J. only thing IVe seen for the J is if you get the J32 and stroke it with the cam and rods from a J35, then you raise the compression up for a beast

J is cheaper then K, and D is cheaper then both, B is too common
Old 06-29-2009, 12:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ugh.... it really depends on what you want to do with your car? if your goin to run your car at a track, go H2B or H2D lol. if you just want to be able to say you got a d-series with 400hp then go that route. but in my opinion your not goin to be as happy with a built d-series as you would with a h22.

heres my reasonining the h22 is a torque monster. thats were you win drag races, freeway pulls, .... etc. the d16 really lacks in this department even when pushing 400hp. remember that old moto theres no replacement for displacement. its true... i have had both engines and i loved how when you gas an h22 on the freeway, it actually pulls hard (stock). if your scared about the extra wieght, dont be. its not awhole lot more wieght then say a b-series swap and the extra torque is way worth it. if you go h22 you could go h2d swap and use your tranny you already have. i am just looking at what its going to cost to turbo a d16 vs h22 swap and you will probably save more money going h22 swap then you would shooting for that 400hp d16.

so in the end it really is up to you, your budget, and what you want to do.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

boost your h22
Old 06-29-2009, 02:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

why not go ls turbo.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:24 AM

go with the turbo d. you will have way more fun.

look at my sig.

i smoke h22/23s all motor or turbo
Old 06-29-2009, 06:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by cleve
ugh.... it really depends on what you want to do with your car? if your goin to run your car at a track, go H2B or H2D lol. if you just want to be able to say you got a d-series with 400hp then go that route. but in my opinion your not goin to be as happy with a built d-series as you would with a h22.

heres my reasonining the h22 is a torque monster. thats were you win drag races, freeway pulls, .... etc. the d16 really lacks in this department even when pushing 400hp. remember that old moto theres no replacement for displacement. its true... i have had both engines and i loved how when you gas an h22 on the freeway, it actually pulls hard (stock). if your scared about the extra wieght, dont be. its not awhole lot more wieght then say a b-series swap and the extra torque is way worth it. if you go h22 you could go h2d swap and use your tranny you already have. i am just looking at what its going to cost to turbo a d16 vs h22 swap and you will probably save more money going h22 swap then you would shooting for that 400hp d16.

so in the end it really is up to you, your budget, and what you want to do.
thats kinda funny..how do civics womp on corvettes...porches..vipers..mustangs..??? its not the torque..thats not how u win drag races..freeway pulls..and a turbo D16 will make way more torque than the H22 will give u all motor..and turbo on the expressway is no joke..its pretty much instant power..i've always been a fan of using the stock motor in your car and making the best out of it..thats just me..do some research..either one will be fun..but ask anyone with a boosted car..theres nothing like boost..all motor heads will deter u cuz they're scared of boost..they think they're gonna melt sumthin or blow it up..
Old 06-30-2009, 01:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boostatic
thats kinda funny..how do civics womp on corvettes...porches..vipers..mustangs..??? its not the torque..thats not how u win drag races..freeway pulls..and a turbo D16 will make way more torque than the H22 will give u all motor..and turbo on the expressway is no joke..its pretty much instant power..i've always been a fan of using the stock motor in your car and making the best out of it..thats just me..do some research..either one will be fun..but ask anyone with a boosted car..theres nothing like boost..all motor heads will deter u cuz they're scared of boost..they think they're gonna melt sumthin or blow it up..
why do you think its easy for a v8 to get quick quarter mile times? hp numbers or torque numbers? sure both run together. both play a big part in getting you down the tarmac. oh and last time i checked corvettes...porches...vipers...mustangs womp civics when built. its takes tons of money for fwd hondas to compete with these makes but its possible. but when both cars are built the honda tends to loose. by the way show me a d16 that can beat a viper on the freeway. ive seen b-series, h-series, k and j-series but ive never heard of a d-series.but back to the subject.....

the d16 boosted is only good to say 600hp tops... the h22 boosted makes 1200hp... put in a h22 and boost it. i was just saying d16 at 400hp is going to suck when it comes to reliability. stock h22 will be torquey and have that stock horse power that will make a good street car to start but has tons of room for improvement. plus you can run 6-8 psi safely on a stock h22 and your in the ball park of 300hp. money wise its a lot cheaper. its your car tho.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what makes yo want to go d series or h series. im just saying you could do a nice easy ls swap in your car and piece together your own turbo kit. the ls motors in my opinion hold up better to boost. just an example a guy i know had a stock b18 with a t03/t04 turbo on 10 pounds and it made like 270hp and 230 tq. then he decided to build the motor and do a ls vtec. he raised the boost to 18 and made somewhere like 430 whp and 340 tq. just giving you a idea and the build wasnt to much.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hey man stay with ur D series. research on them. go to TURBOD16.com and research on there. i was in the same sit are in till i research the d series motors. they are good motors for ur DD and a good motor to race with if u wanted to. u will get ur hp goals with this motor. just boost/turbo it and u'll get over 300 with this motor. i saw a D16y8 with 500hp. so yea keep ur d16, u will waste more money i think doing a swap wen u have a perfectly good motor, for wat u wanna do, u would be dumb not to keep ur motor. with my D16 imma turbo/boost it and get 350 hp but tryin to shoot for 400hp. if i cant i will still be happy. and my car with my d16 is also my DD as well
KEEP IT AND BOOST THE **** OUT OF IT
Old 06-30-2009, 06:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

go w what u want cuz we can tell u what we would do its ur car and ur money

Quick Reply: Can't decide between d-series turbo or h22?