Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

cant believe i dunno this shit (brake pads)

Old 08-16-2002, 04:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cant believe i dunno this **** (brake pads)

ok i do my own oil/filter change, coolant, spark plugs and what not but ive never done brake pad changes since i bought my baby. is it all common sense or a brain teaser to change pads for front disc and back drums????

[Modified by dniedacess, 1:04 PM 8/16/2002]
Old 08-16-2002, 04:07 AM

Default Re: cant believe i dunno this **** (dniedacess)

The fronts are a cinch. The toughest part is expanding the caliper to fit over the rotor with the thicker pads on. A specialty tool, or a set of vise grips helps. It is a very dirty job. I have not done the rears on a Honda yet but they can't be too hard. Always do one side at a time so you can look at the opposite side for re-assembly instructions, if needed. Brake shops do do many in a day, I feel that doing it yourself is the only way to ensure quality labor.
Old 08-16-2002, 04:11 AM

Default Re: cant believe i dunno this **** (jcamacho)

thanx for the fast non-wise-*** reply!!! thats all i needed to know. i havent really check the pads on the back but i know my front ones need new ones cuz i feel the vibration when i hit the brake
Old 08-16-2002, 04:38 AM

My $0.02 - get a shop manual.

The fronts on a Honda are trivial. Hour long job if you are quick on lugnuts and jackstands.

Backs - WHOLE different story. Those of us who switched over to rear discs did so for more reasons than just performance. ALL DRUM BRAKES are a pain in the butt. Yeah, you can do it, and if you do it a lot, it becomes second nature, but if you do it just once in a while, it ain't easy or intuitive. Get a shop manual before you even begin to attack it.

Shawn
Old 08-16-2002, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Re: cant believe i dunno this **** (shawnhayes)

A big C-clamp makes spreading the caliper open a cinch. It's not that messy of a job, either. Just flip up caliper, swap out pads, push piston back in, swing caliper back down.

I personally won't touch drum brakes. Too many little pieces and parts and springs etc. etc. to deal with. I'm glad I got 4-wheel discs.
Old 08-16-2002, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

"vibration when i hit the brake" = warped disk.
12mm wrench to remove the caliper from the bracket.
17mm wrench to remove the bracket from the knuckle.
Use an impact driver to remove the screw holding the disk to the hub.
A large channel lock, or C-clamp, or a $5 brake piston tool to push back the piston.
Brake cleaner & brake grease.
Old 08-16-2002, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: cant believe i dunno this **** (PatrickGSR94)

Backs - WHOLE different story. Those of us who switched over to rear discs did so for more reasons than just performance. ALL DRUM BRAKES are a pain in the butt. Yeah, you can do it, and if you do it a lot, it becomes second nature, but if you do it just once in a while, it ain't easy or intuitive. Get a shop manual before you even begin to attack it.
I personally won't touch drum brakes. Too many little pieces and parts and springs etc. etc. to deal with. I'm glad I got 4-wheel discs.
I don't think the rears are that hard. I'm no mechanical whizz but I did mine for the first time the other day, it wasn't that hard. Three springs and 2 clips. Then the shoes come off. I was surprised at how little the shoes were worn, especially after how long I think they were on the car. The drum was frozen to the hub so I had to take the axle nut off to the take the hub off. Then you just have to adjust it a little when you put the drum back on. It took under 2 hours to do both sides. How hard is that?

But, get a book anyway. It's got good step by step. At least get a haynes, I think the chilton's for the 5th gen civics suck. Drums aren't that bad. But, do what you feel.

s
Old 08-16-2002, 04:12 PM

Default Re: cant believe i dunno this **** (stevel)

I don't think the rears are that hard. I'm no mechanical whizz but I did mine for the first time the other day, it wasn't that hard. Three springs and 2 clips. Then the shoes come off. I was surprised at how little the shoes were worn, especially after how long I think they were on the car. The drum was frozen to the hub so I had to take the axle nut off to the take the hub off. Then you just have to adjust it a little when you put the drum back on. It took under 2 hours to do both sides. How hard is that?
Having to remove the axle nut to get the hub off. Pretty darn hard, I think. At $60 per hour for a shop, that's $120 just in labor. Congratulations on doing it yourself, and I would too, if I still had drums, but I wanted to be rid of them.

But, get a book anyway. It's got good step by step. At least get a haynes, I think the chilton's for the 5th gen civics suck. Drums aren't that bad. But, do what you feel.
Good recommendation. Those three springs and two clips are hard to remember how to replace if you haven't done it before.

Shawn
Old 08-16-2002, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Having to remove the axle nut to get the hub off. Pretty darn hard, I think. At $60 per hour for a shop, that's $120 just in labor. Congratulations on doing it yourself, and I would too, if I still had drums, but I wanted to be rid of them.
Taking the axle nut off on the back is much easier than the front because the rear has a dust cover. I know those drums haven't been replaced before and the axle nut was pristine. Really easy to get off with a breaker bar, not much effort was needed, got it off the first try. Took me 2 hours and it was my first time. Shouldn't take a shop that long. I don't know where you go but just for rear drums and shoes you shouldn't have to pay $60 an hour. Any shop should be able to do it. Maybe I would pay that much if I was having a tranny replaced but for drums I'm sure you can find less than $60/hr. That's dealer prices.

Good recommendation. Those three springs and two clips are hard to remember how to replace if you haven't done it before.
I hadn't done it before this, it was my first time. Have you done it before? Probably not then. Not that hard to remember at all, especially if you still have the other side to look at for reference. Anyway they can only fit into the spot they came in. You can't put them anywhere else that makes sense. Pretty straight forward job I think. It's only replacing brake shoes. In my opinion this is much easier than doing a rear disc swap. This is simple. Just my 2 cents.

s

[Modified by stevel, 11:10 PM 8/16/2002]
Old 08-16-2002, 08:15 PM
GDD Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Brakes=Easy
First time=1 hour
Second time=30 minutes
Third time=10 minutes on front, 20 on back.
Rusted caliper bolts suck
Old 08-17-2002, 02:34 PM

I don't know where you go but just for rear drums and shoes you shouldn't have to pay $60 an hour. Any shop should be able to do it. Maybe I would pay that much if I was having a tranny replaced but for drums I'm sure you can find less than $60/hr. That's dealer prices.
No one touches my car but the dealer and me. Although "officially" they don't recognize swaps, they race a sixth generation Civic with a turbo'd Civic type-R engine at the local 1/8th mile track.

I hadn't done it before this, it was my first time. Have you done it before? Probably not then. Not that hard to remember at all, especially if you still have the other side to look at for reference. Anyway they can only fit into the spot they came in. You can't put them anywhere else that makes sense. Pretty straight forward job I think.
Hmm. Perhaps your "mechanical intuition" is better than mine, but I've installed my own supercharger, converted my front brakes to Type R specs, and done a rear disc brake swap on my own. I have done the rear drum brakes, and although I took my time, and had no problems, I wouln't recommend it to a newbie who couldn't do disc brakes.

It's only replacing brake shoes. In my opinion this is much easier than doing a rear disc swap. This is simple. Just my 2 cents.
Yes, EASIER, but not simpler. Just my $0.02

Shawn
Old 08-17-2002, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Front ones are easy. On the other hand, drums are a lot more complicated. I wouldn't necessary call it hard, just time consuming.
Old 08-17-2002, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: cant believe i dunno this **** (VWkila)

Just try it, you'll learn something.

s
Old 08-17-2002, 05:26 PM

It isn't so bad. I have done the fronts and the rear disc brakes on my car and I know absolutely nothing. I am also totally mechanincally inept, but I want to learn. Definately try and do this yourself, I am embarrassed to say how long it took me to do the first set, but the second just flew by.

Edit: I just noticed the rears are drums. I wouldn't touch those with your hands.

[Modified by 95GS-R, 2:27 AM 8/18/2002]
Old 08-18-2002, 05:04 AM

At least get a haynes, I think the chilton's for the 5th gen civics suck.
Thanks. I have a Chiltons and i don't think it's that great. I'll get a Haynes now that my son tore the covers off my Chilton's manual. Does Honda make a service manual? If so, how is it. I was at Showcase Honda here in PHX on Friday but all I saw there was a Chiltons on the rack. Maybe I should have asked the cute parts girl.
Old 08-18-2002, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: cant believe i dunno this **** (jcamacho)

http://www.helminc.com. they're the best ones but a little pricey. They cost around $62 but probably worth it if you're going to be doing most of your own work. It's just so much better and the diagrams are invaluable.

s
Old 08-18-2002, 11:47 AM

Dude the rear is just as easy as the front. Actually I think that the rear is a little bit easier. I have a 92 Si with gsr rear suspension. And I swapped everything out and it was easy as ****. You shouldn't have any problem at all. Hope everything goes well for you.
Old 08-18-2002, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: cant believe i dunno this **** (Extreme_Hybrid_Hatch)

OK, since were on the subject, what a good, easy upgrade for brakes or rotors that will give shorter stops, but not require bigger wheels than the stock 14 steelies, or a new master cyinder?
Old 08-18-2002, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: cant believe i dunno this **** (hatch2k)

brembo blanks..(no need for drills or slots)...stainless lines...good fluid..and good pads..
Old 08-18-2002, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: cant believe i dunno this **** (JaeOne3345)

Better pads first and foremost.