Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Canadian Steering Wheel Installation HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Canadian Steering Wheel Installation HELP

Hello everyone,

I have a 1993 Civic CX and I recently picked up a three-point leather wrapped steering wheel from a Canadian model Civic. I heard from a few people that the horn will not hook up to this type of steering wheel and that I need a specific part to allow my horn to work with the new steering wheel.

I've searched online and in the lovely Search box on HT and have found no answer.

Does anyone know if this is true, if so, what part will I need?

Thanks!

>>TOM

Last edited by Sprinter86; 05-03-2010 at 07:17 PM. Reason: More appropriate thread title
Old 05-03-2010, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Canadian Steering Wheel Installation HELP

bump
Old 05-03-2010, 12:02 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

Leather wrapped 3-prong wheel from Canada? If it's really CDM, then that IS a rare find indeed. OEM Leather WAS an option from Honda ... I presume it will look a lot (or identical) to the JDM leather-wrapped wheels that came stock on the JDM EG6 and EG9s.

I can definitely help you with connecting up the horn, but I want pics first of the wheel!
Old 05-03-2010, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

deschlong-please post your how to here. i might install one for myself..
sprinter-PICs PICs and MORE PICs.lol,,,
Old 05-03-2010, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DeSchlong
Leather wrapped 3-prong wheel from Canada? If it's really CDM, then that IS a rare find indeed. OEM Leather WAS an option from Honda ... I presume it will look a lot (or identical) to the JDM leather-wrapped wheels that came stock on the JDM EG6 and EG9s.

I can definitely help you with connecting up the horn, but I want pics first of the wheel!
Thanks, I purchased the wheel from a friend who only used the wheel for a short time before buying something else. Here is a picture of the wheel in his car:

Old 05-03-2010, 04:55 PM

Wheel looks exactly like a JDM leather-wrapped 3-point wheel. How do you know it's CDM and not JDM? Just curious really ... it would be nice to confirm that they existed here.

Go to Honda and buy this part: 35259-SH3-A02 ... or grab it from a junkyard off a 88-91 Civic.

Here's the DIY you're after:
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/how-instructions-jdm-eg-non-srs-steering-wheel-installation-w-how-make-horn-work-273474/
Old 05-03-2010, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon3 JDM / CDM Steering Wheel Installation HELP

I just talked with my friend who sold it to me and it apparently is a JDM steering wheel. His exact works being "Yea, it's a JDM, similar to a CDM wheel." Apparently it came from an EG6 SiR-S, and he suggested CDM parts for the horn and center cap considering CDM wheels were very similar, saying "Some CDM cars came with almost an identical wheel."

So I guess it is JDM.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:28 PM

Default Re: JDM / CDM Steering Wheel Installation HELP

That makes more sense. Are you after the centre cap too? I can find you these ... they are everywhere in junkyards here. (And the horn prongs.) CDM wheels are indeed identical (minus leather).

Likely not from an SIR-S ... these had a black interior, but also came with a MOMO wheel stock. Since it's black and leather-wrapped, then it most likely came from an EG9 SiR sedan - these had a black interior too, but the regular wheel. I'm *fairly* sure that the EG6 SiR and SiR-II only had grey interiors.

Originally Posted by Sprinter86
I just talked with my friend who sold it to me and it apparently is a JDM steering wheel. His exact works being "Yea, it's a JDM, similar to a CDM wheel." Apparently it came from an EG6 SiR-S, and he suggested CDM parts for the horn and center cap considering CDM wheels were very similar, saying "Some CDM cars came with almost an identical wheel."

So I guess it is JDM.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JDM / CDM Steering Wheel Installation HELP

That makes more sense. Are you after the centre cap too? I can find you these ... they are everywhere in junkyards here. (And the horn prongs.) CDM wheels are indeed identical (minus leather).

Likely not from an SIR-S ... these had a black interior, but also came with a MOMO wheel stock. Since it's black and leather-wrapped, then it most likely came from an EG9 SiR sedan - these had a black interior too, but the regular wheel. I'm *fairly* sure that the EG6 SiR and SiR-II only had grey interiors.
The wheel is black, even though the picture doesn't show it. But yea, it came from some sorta JDM EG. And I'm not like, hunting down a badge or anything, I kind of like the de-badged look. But if I change my mind I will defiantly let you know.

The stock wheel was a bit of a pain to get off, but the wheel is installed and I love it, haha.