Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

canadian-spec ek

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default canadian-spec ek

hey guys i was wondering what the difference is between a usdm 98 ek hatch and a canadian-spec one. Other than the fact that the speedometer is in kilometers per hour. any help would be appreciated
Old 02-07-2010, 01:06 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: canadian-spec ek

Originally Posted by graham412
hey guys i was wondering what the difference is between a usdm 98 ek hatch and a canadian-spec one. Other than the fact that the speedometer is in kilometers per hour. any help would be appreciated
Depends on the trim level. Canadian DX hatchbacks came with a tach and DRLs. I believe they also all came with P/S. Canadian CX models could be had with a rear wiper (they didn't all have it, but it was available) '96 - '97 models didn't come standard with a passenger's side airbag, not sure about other years. CXs could be had with an automatic transmission, all automatics came with P/S.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Canadian models were mostly similar to US models, though with different designations. Generally, the model known as an EX in the USA was called the Si in Canada, while the USA's Si was called the SiR. Canadian Civic sedans came in LX and EX, which roughly correspond to the American DX and LX; there was no Canadian equivalent to the American EX sedan. Canadian Civic coupes came in DX, Si, and SiR, the equivalent of the DX, EX, and Si in the United States. Only the EX sedan, Si coupe and SiR coupe had power locks and power windows, the Si and SiR coupes were the only Canadian Civic models with a power moonroof. All sedans and coupes had a group option package available that added air conditioning and anti-lock brakes. The hatchbacks, available only in CX and DX trims, were sold as economy cars, they had none of the amenities of other models in the Civic lineup, not even as options. All sedans, coupes, and the hatchback DX had two front airbags; while the CX hatchback had the driver's side airbag only.
Canadian SiR and Si models included ABS brakes and heated mirrors which were not included on US Si models. The Canadian SiR also was available in New Vogue Silver Metallic, which was not available for the USA's comparable Si model.
The Civic SE hatch was a special trim released for the year 2000 only. The car was similar to other hatches available in Canada, but came with some special standard parts including mesh 14-inch wheels (similar to the more common third generation Integra mesh wheels), a mid-wing and a Special badge on the rear of the hatch.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:32 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Easiest way...all Canadian civic's after 1990 has day time running lights!
Old 02-07-2010, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Deetz
Easiest way...all Canadian civic's after 1990 has day time running lights!
mine coupe didnt have it

only difference with mines then the usdm one was that i had to buy canadian parts but ma cuz got usdm coupe and it was the same
Old 02-07-2010, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 97ej6dx
Canadian models were mostly similar to US models, though with different designations. Generally, the model known as an EX in the USA was called the Si in Canada, while the USA's Si was called the SiR. Canadian Civic sedans came in LX and EX, which roughly correspond to the American DX and LX; there was no Canadian equivalent to the American EX sedan. Canadian Civic coupes came in DX, Si, and SiR, the equivalent of the DX, EX, and Si in the United States. Only the EX sedan, Si coupe and SiR coupe had power locks and power windows, the Si and SiR coupes were the only Canadian Civic models with a power moonroof. All sedans and coupes had a group option package available that added air conditioning and anti-lock brakes. The hatchbacks, available only in CX and DX trims, were sold as economy cars, they had none of the amenities of other models in the Civic lineup, not even as options. All sedans, coupes, and the hatchback DX had two front airbags; while the CX hatchback had the driver's side airbag only.
Canadian SiR and Si models included ABS brakes and heated mirrors which were not included on US Si models. The Canadian SiR also was available in New Vogue Silver Metallic, which was not available for the USA's comparable Si model.
The Civic SE hatch was a special trim released for the year 2000 only. The car was similar to other hatches available in Canada, but came with some special standard parts including mesh 14-inch wheels (similar to the more common third generation Integra mesh wheels), a mid-wing and a Special badge on the rear of the hatch.
My god that is impressive. Do you have all that info stored in your head or did you look it up?
Old 02-07-2010, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It wasnt mentioned yet, DX hatchbacks have power steering, 2 airbags and the rear wiper.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by junk95civ
My god that is impressive. Do you have all that info stored in your head or did you look it up?
I looked it up> but i have it in my head now haha .. I did know some of the things just because I'm on an Acura 1.6 EL forum, so I've learned a thing or to about there models.
For example t canada they didn't require dual airbags until much later than we required them. So some of the canadian civics cant be legalized In some states due to that reason. ( depends on what area you are in tho)All of the civics made in canada (6th gen) came factory with DRLs where ours did not. In Canada it is a requirement for all vehicle to have DRLs. Not all of the Eks had AC because the temp does not reach such high ranges as it does in the states.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my friend has a 99 civic CX hatch from canada, it has the cluster in kilometers with no tach...no pass airbag...and it has a plug in block heater...
Old 02-07-2010, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry also the spoiler is shorter than us spec... and has daytime running lights
Old 02-08-2010, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by takumei86
my friend has a 99 civic CX hatch from canada, it has the cluster in kilometers with no tach...no pass airbag...and it has a plug in block heater...
All canadian cars come with block heaters... well, 90% of them
Old 02-08-2010, 09:18 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

Oooh, nobody has mentioned the low-washer fluid level sensor on late-model 6th Gen Canadian Civics.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:25 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

they have diff steering wheels too i think it looks kind of lik the non srs ones i think ...
Old 02-09-2010, 02:34 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by DeSchlong
Oooh, nobody has mentioned the low-washer fluid level sensor on late-model 6th Gen Canadian Civics.
I Did not know that the US models didn't come with the low washer warning. Cool.

Originally Posted by millertime191
they have diff steering wheels too i think it looks kind of lik the non srs ones i think ...
6th gens got the same steering wheel as the US models. The 5th gens however got the same wheel the JDM models came with, non SRS.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:12 AM
Trial User

Ok hi i have a question, just like there are ek, ej, ef, eg what would a 97 acura el sedan b labled under? I was reading and some call it a ej6 but a ej6 is a civic coupe so im not quite understanding
Old 11-30-2015, 01:24 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

5 year old thread

Please don't bump old, dead threads. The chassis code is the fourth, fifth, and sixth digit of the VIN. Find an EL, read those three places, and boom, there's your chassis code.