Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

can you feel the v-tec power on d-series

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can you feel the v-tec power on d-series

is there a change in power if you only use head with nothing else at all? the solinoid makes a sort of click, but does that mean it's working or not? this is really bothering me, i would think i would notice some difference whether small or large, someone please!
Old 10-28-2009, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: can you feel the v-tec power on d-series

on my stock d16z6 with a cai, stock exhaust smogg passing motor, vtec you can barely hear the cross over but it kinda works , not all that strong
Old 10-28-2009, 11:14 AM

what is a cai? lol sorry, i'm new here and to the 4 cylinder cars pretty much, the solinoid clicks and if it's idling does nothen now, i just came in from messen with it, if i hold it at a steady 3 grand or close to there, and i give the solinoid 12 volts, it kinda winds down just a hair, not much but just noticable, if i add the injectors and the y8 manifold to this, is it really worth it, or start saven my money for something better?
Old 10-28-2009, 11:18 AM

cai = cold air intake

sorry to say your not gonna really feel anything on a d-series even with v-tec, unless you are turbocharged
Old 10-28-2009, 11:20 AM

lol yeah i got the cold air intake part, so putting the y8 intake manifold and larger injectors is pretty much pointless then?
Old 10-28-2009, 11:21 AM

yes no point unless you want slightly better airflow with the y8 intake manifold
Old 10-28-2009, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

turboing the d is the only make to make power out of it PERIOD
Old 10-28-2009, 11:36 AM

well that sucks, i was hopen for a lil extra with the mini me swap, i guess people are idiots lmao to do it then, what do ya get a 5 horsepower increase?
Old 10-28-2009, 11:38 AM
318 Curves, 11 miles

Originally Posted by kwilson25
what is a cai? lol sorry, i'm new here and to the 4 cylinder cars pretty much, the solinoid clicks and if it's idling does nothen now, i just came in from messen with it, if i hold it at a steady 3 grand or close to there, and i give the solinoid 12 volts, it kinda winds down just a hair, not much but just noticable, if i add the injectors and the y8 manifold to this, is it really worth it, or start saven my money for something better?
How are you testing? At 3 grand?

D series vtec doesn't cross over until like 5800 rpm I think, if I remember right. If you set the crossover lower on an otherwise stock engine, you'll almost always lose power from the crossover up to about 5800.

You won't really notice it much on a D series. If you're used to a non-vtec D series, you might notice it a little bit, in that it doesn't fall on its face on the top of the band.

You'd notice it a lot on a B16, somewhat less on a B18C1.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:10 PM

i've tested it up top, bottom in the middle and everywhere and i can't tell at all, i've never had a v-tec b4, i'm feeden the solenoid 12 volts to see if it's gonna work or not, only thing i changed is the head, no intake, exhaust or anything else,
Old 10-28-2009, 12:16 PM
JHP
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not sure exactly how much hp you gain with a mini-me but a D16Y7 has 106 hp and A D16Y8 has 127hp. From what Ive read you raise your hp to that or even a little more when you swap in a VTEC head.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:20 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

i drove my friends hatch with a y8 and knew it hit becuase it sounded differnetly lol, didnt really pull harder or anything, with a single you wont really here it or tell to much.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:21 PM

i'm definately not seeing 27 horsepower, so i should probly put the y8 intake and injectors on so i can put the computer in and have that extra little bit, can anyone tell me if the y7 harness will work with the y8 intake other than a couple small wiring issues? thanx
Old 10-28-2009, 12:28 PM
JHP
Honda-Tech Member

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here but without a VTEC ecu VTEC will not engage, right? Maybe that's why the OP is not feeling the power gain? Not thats its going to be that noticeable anyways. Maybe the extra hp from the swap is just not there till the ecu tells VTEC to engage?
Old 10-28-2009, 02:15 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

^^^no without vtec ecu it wont engage
Old 10-28-2009, 02:15 PM

i told you if you read the whole thiing, it is getting juice, i dont' need the ecu to get it to work, i just gave it the 12-volts myself, nevermind, i don't think i'm gonna get help here
Old 10-28-2009, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i told you if you read the whole thiing, it is getting juice, i dont' need the ecu to get it to work, i just gave it the 12-volts myself, nevermind, i don't think i'm gonna get help here
Ok so it has power, without the proper ecu it will not engage because.the computer knows when it has hit 5800 and then tells it to engage rather than just hooking up 12 volts, what good does that do??? Power without direction will not do anything, not unless your power source is a jedi v-tec master. You can turn on your computer, but it wont do anything without any pre-set or voluntary commands.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:37 PM
318 Curves, 11 miles

well, actually it probably would engage if he just applied 12v power to the solenoid. You could test the solenoid that way.

He won't see a difference though. I'm not really sure what he's asking or why he seems to be pissed... he ran 12v to the solenoid at 3K rpm and is expecting magic? Sure, it'll engage, but it ain't gonna run any stronger.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

also the fuel maos are different if you don't change the fuel and ignition tables then changing the valve lift and overlap that little bit will not change much at all. i understand that you are turning on teh vtec seleniod itself, but you aren't changing the timing and everything else that that computer does when vtec kickes in.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:33 PM

with an after market intake you can hear it vtec kik in but barely any pull. and yea only way for power for a single is turbo. im running a d16y8 with i/h/e kept up with my friends v6 mustang lolz. but with bolts on i only feel alito difference. but saving gas is good^^
Old 10-28-2009, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just turbo your single cam if you want real power or go b series
Old 10-28-2009, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol yeah i got the cold air intake part, so putting the y8 intake manifold and larger injectors is pretty much pointless then?
you will make more power with the Y8 manifold because the regular one flows like ****.
Also its VTEC and not v-tec. You should build/boost your D, they make good power and go very fast And they also dont cost alot
Old 10-28-2009, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

as stated a few times... you can power the solenoid yourself, but you wont gain anything. My z6 hits vtec pretty hard (~5200 RPM). and no, it doesnt pull crazy like a b16, i can definitely tell when Im in vtec.

a vtec ecu controls fuel and ignition mapping. a mini me swap is most effective in OBD 1 so you can run a chipped ECU. typically putting a y8 head on any 1.5 or 1.6 block makes higher compression.

there are ways to control it without having a chipped ECU, but they are very involved and takes a lot of time.

look up mtber on here, check out his website-phearable.net- and he will get you a basemap that you probably wont even need to fine tune. a mini me is pretty standard and most people have seen plenty of them.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

or xenocron
Old 10-29-2009, 07:47 AM

thank you guys very much for the info, i know quite a bit about cars, and i'm pretty sure i would feel it i just wanted some advice, i knnwo putten on the intake will help this and i have the computer for y8 buti need the intake for it to work right i'm sure

Quick Reply: can you feel the v-tec power on d-series