Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

can the timing(belt) cover be removed without removing the valve cover??(d16z6)

Old 07-14-2005, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can the timing(belt) cover be removed without removing the valve cover??(d16z6)

im running low on funds so im tryin to avoid spending more money(by not buying another valve cover gasket) so can i remove(and re-install) the timing belt cover with out removing the valve cover????? (so to ask a "dumb" question, but i'd rather take the risk of sounding stupid instead of damaging me motor)
Old 07-14-2005, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: can the timing(belt) cover be removed without removing the valve cover??(d16z6) (hatchinprogress

umm..it probably can but the belt cover would be destroyed by the time you get it out. you can reuse the valve cover gasket just as long as it's not cracked or broken.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: can the timing(belt) cover be removed without removing the valve cover??(d16z6) (hatchinprogress

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by D16Z6_turbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">umm..it probably can but the belt cover would be destroyed by the time you get it out. you can reuse the valve cover gasket just as long as it's not cracked or broken.</TD></TR></TABLE> yeah the cover is already wrecked(previous owner) but thanks for the reply so is your z6 turbo'd? (whats you set up) i plan on boosting the motor(oh and its going in a crx)
Old 07-14-2005, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I use to have a turbo z6...Now im running with the B-series. My setup was like the DIY turbo setups with the DSM turbo, HF manifold, custom piping, and other things. Ran pretty strong. Give it a try and you'll never want to turn back to stock!
Old 07-14-2005, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If I remember correctly you can get the upper timing belt cover off without removing the valve cover...

Just take the two bolts out and wiggle it out from under the valve cover, there is a lip but I'm pretty sure you can get it out from under there without taking it off...

Can some one confirm this?
Old 07-14-2005, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by D16Z6_turbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I use to have a turbo z6.... Give it a try and you'll never want to turn back to stock!</TD></TR></TABLE> i know! i have a turbo'd ef (dohc zc with a t-25) and i love it(its also homemade) and i just got a crx that i wanna try to make a lil quicker then the hatch!<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ1 wilcox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If I remember correctly you can get the upper timing belt cover off without removing the valve cover...

Just take the two bolts out and wiggle it out from under the valve cover, there is a lip but I'm pretty sure you can get it out from under there without taking it off...

Can some one confirm this?</TD></TR></TABLE> ok ill give it another try, so far i've only messed with the upper cover(removed the 2 bolts) i got it 1/2 way out....but now i cant get it back in and i cant get it out all the way
Old 07-14-2005, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes you can just use a flat head and a lil power to yank it out from under the valve cover... And since then I left it off.....

Reason: my valve cover leaks, even with a brand new gasket. So i have to put liquid gasket along with the new gasket so it wont leak. So i prefer not to take it off unless i really really have to...

Angel &lt; who hates scratching off liquid gasket
Old 07-14-2005, 12:46 PM
Electrician

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by D16Z6_turbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I use to have a turbo z6...Now im running with the B-series. My setup was like the DIY turbo setups with the DSM turbo, HF manifold, custom piping, and other things. Ran pretty strong. Give it a try and you'll never want to turn back to stock!</TD></TR></TABLE>

This does nothing for him. No one really gives a rats *** if you had a turbo Z6. If you're not going to give advice on helping him solve the problem, just don't post. Thanks a bunch.

To the original question, you can always use a little bit of RTV if you don't want to shell out for a new gasket.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hatchinprogress &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> so is your z6 turbo'd? (whats you set up) i plan on boosting the motor(oh and its going in a crx)</TD></TR></TABLE>

He asked... now apologize...
Old 07-14-2005, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=Deemeetree]
This does nothing for him. No one really gives a rats *** if you had a turbo Z6. If you're not going to give advice on helping him solve the problem, just don't post. Thanks a bunch.QUOTE]

OMG! I just answered a question and got flamed!
Old 07-14-2005, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PRcivicHB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

He asked... now apologize...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Staight up!
Old 07-14-2005, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Deemeetree &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

This does nothing for him. No one really gives a rats *** if you had a turbo Z6. If you're not going to give advice on helping him solve the problem, just don't post. Thanks a bunch.

To the original question, you can always use a little bit of RTV if you don't want to shell out for a new gasket.</TD></TR></TABLE> hey thanks for tryin to help but i did ask about the setup(i strayed from the topic)<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PRcivicHB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

He asked... now apologize...</TD></TR></TABLE>yeah he's got you<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by D16Z6_turbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">[QUOTE=Deemeetree]
This does nothing for him. No one really gives a rats *** if you had a turbo Z6. If you're not going to give advice on helping him solve the problem, just don't post. Thanks a bunch.QUOTE]

OMG! I just answered a question and got flamed! </TD></TR></TABLE> just ignore comments like that(dont let stuff like that discourage you from tryin to help someone) and i did ask about the set up
Old 07-14-2005, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PRcivicHB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes you can just use a flat head and a lil power to yank it out from under the valve cover... And since then I left it off.....

</TD></TR></TABLE> well do you know if i can put the timing cover back on without removing the valve cover??
Old 07-14-2005, 06:51 PM

I don't think you can because there is that lip that wraps around the timing belt cover. Maybe if you try to force it out downwards if it can..

don't even have my timing belt cover on is that unsafe or what??
Old 07-14-2005, 07:22 PM
Electrician

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by D16Z6_turbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">[QUOTE=Deemeetree]

OMG! I just answered a question and got flamed! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Not for your answer, but for the other additional info. I hate seeing threads get 50 pages long just because people have 2-way conversations instead of using PMs.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hatchinprogress &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> well do you know if i can put the timing cover back on without removing the valve cover??</TD></TR></TABLE>

I never tried i just kept it off... Im sure you can force it on...
Old 07-18-2005, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

k, thanks
Old 07-18-2005, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes you can take it off and you don't really need to put it back on if you manage to bend it up in the process. I haven't had one on my daily for about 4 years. You should at least loosen the valve cover bolts though. I have no idea how the previous owner buggered the valve cover itself but when you get ready to replace it drop me a PM. I have a new valve cover and gasket sitting in the box laying around, never installed.