Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

can someone please help me, manual trans gets stuck/wont go into gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 10:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can someone please help me, manual trans gets stuck/wont go into gear

so here is the problem, i have a 97 hatch dx with a ebay short shifter, it was working great for the past 5 months but now when i go to engage first gear, it takes a massive amount of force to engage 1st gear,

i read on here to shift into second at a stop then put it in first gear. well it works sometimes, but sometimes i cant even get it into 2nd gear. its like super stiff to get into gear. and when it does do 1st to 2nd....3rd gear is super hard to get in. what could be the problem/ does that mean my trans is messed up...because when i actually can shift, it shifts beautifully. and i just had a new clutch put in no more than 3 months ago.

please someone help me. i need to use my car and now i cant.

i was thinking about putting in my stock shifter, and getting that energy shift stablizer kit with the bushings to see if maybe that is the problem

has anyone had this problem

any help would be appreciated.

-jason
Old 03-23-2007, 10:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: can someone please help me, manual trans gets stuck/wont go into gear (fastredhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fastredhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so here is the problem, i have a 97 hatch dx with a ebay short shifter, it was working great for the past 5 months but now when i go to engage first gear, it takes a massive amount of force to engage 1st gear,

i read on here to shift into second at a stop then put it in first gear. well it works sometimes, but sometimes i cant even get it into 2nd gear. its like super stiff to get into gear. and when it does do 1st to 2nd....3rd gear is super hard to get in. what could be the problem/ does that mean my trans is messed up...because when i actually can shift, it shifts beautifully. and i just had a new clutch put in no more than 3 months ago.

please someone help me. i need to use my car and now i cant.

i was thinking about putting in my stock shifter, and getting that energy shift stablizer kit with the bushings to see if maybe that is the problem

has anyone had this problem

any help would be appreciated.

-jason</TD></TR></TABLE>

it has nothing to do with your shifter and bushing. maybe you syncros are going out? does this happen while you drive?
Old 03-23-2007, 10:58 PM

well even when im in neutral it feels like the shifter is frozen in neutral sometimes, like hard to push over to neutral under 1st and second sometimes, and it happens when i drive too
Old 03-23-2007, 11:03 PM

driving has been fine, except 3rd gear has been popping out this week. but i thought it was because i have a massive exhaust leak right below it, and also, the bushing that connects to the trans looks worn

this problem just started today, with it getting stuck and whatnot

Modified by fastredhatch at 12:36 AM 3/24/2007
Old 03-23-2007, 11:48 PM

i think im going to kill myself.
Old 03-24-2007, 12:19 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (fastredhatch)

I got money saying your slave cylinder is out and you have no clutch fluid. Bleed your lines try to put it in gear. Or you can always kill yourself and let me have your car<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fastredhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i think im going to kill myself. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 03-24-2007, 02:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDM_Frijoles)

sounds bad. any new noises? like whirring or metallicish noises? it might be your shift forks or isb bearing which is pretty common. doubtful on syncros or clutch slave. my money is on shift forks being broken. dseries.org has a few threads on similar situations... in fact these threads sound possibly like yours- http://www.d-series.org/forums...61712 or http://www.d-series.org/forums...62950 read both pages on this one

good luck
Old 03-26-2007, 05:22 AM

i did have a slight supercharged sound the other day, but it was real real quiet. and in idle i heard a whirring noise. what could that be? and how much to fix it?
Old 03-26-2007, 06:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fastredhatch)

Transmission leak,or low on fluid. My 5th gear was popping out last week and making a whistling noise. It has a tranny leak.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Boostedb20EH2)

Oh and how much does it cost?
15 bucks for a tube of hondabond.
But not any amount of money could some up how much of a bitch it is to fix..
Its not a hard process. Just nothing is going right for me.