Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Can someone explain custom spring rates?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 08:14 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Can someone explain custom spring rates?

hey, i've heard alot about getting custom spring rates for your car. what are they? how do you get them done? and how do you find out what spring rate is best for your setup?
Old 05-12-2004, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (Dimi)

I alot of auto-x and road racers go with ground control with 400lbs (front) and 500lbs (rear) because fwd hondas like to understeer so this setup allows alittle oversteer to get the car around corners faster I have this setup with koni yellows and ground control upper pillow mounts... I can't say how much I love this set up the car feels so stable and handles like non other... The crazy guys go with even bigger spring rates and they have to get the shock revalved to handle the rates! All in all depends what you want to do with your car but like for my case I dont drag.. only auto-x and road race and its more then enough for me... on the street they ride kinda hard but then again its not my daily driver! Sorry about the pic lol I hope what I say kinda helps
Old 05-12-2004, 09:00 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (9psiTurboSI)

thx guys
this will be for an eg hatch with a b18c5 in it. it'll be my daily driver. i'm gonna take it out to the road racing track. if i compete it'll be because they have the most amateur class ever.

so my application will be a daily driver for the most part. i want performance however. would 500f 600r be good for this?

ps why is the rear set heavier?
Old 05-12-2004, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (litterbox)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by litterbox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
ps why is the rear set heavier?</TD></TR></TABLE>

To make the car oversteer alittle so it feels more neutral instead of digging your tire around the corner making it understeer which fwd cars like to do
Old 05-12-2004, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Re: (Dimi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dimi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok ok ok.
Most of the companies such as Eibach, H&R, etc...have custom spring rates to whatever rate you want. Most of the technical people there are friendly, so, tell them what car you have and your intentions, they'll set you up right.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

i've NEVER heard they will make "custom" spring kits. of course that doesnt mean it doesnt happen, but i cant see it done for any reasonable price or at the least accomodating. what typically means getting custom rates can only happen when you have a adjustable spring perch coilover kit, aka "coilovers" (see my FAQ). when you order an adjustable spring kit from Ground Control, they will give you some Eibach Race Springs (ERS) with a default spring rate. the springs are interchangeable so you can choose your own "custom" rate, as spring rates should match the vehicles application.