Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Can an Si or SOHC Civic owner clear this up for me?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2001, 01:46 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can an Si or SOHC Civic owner clear this up for me?

What exactly are the differences between let's say a '99 Civic Si and a '99 Cvic Ex?
Besides the fact the Si has the DOHC B16 engine/trans, rear disk brakes, a factory rear sway bar, front lip spoiler, gauge cluster, minor interior upgrades, wheels, and a little different suspension geometry is there any other differences? Are the two car bodies basicly the same besides the features which could be swapped onto an EX? Or are the chassis' themselves designed differently? Thanks for your input.

-Mike
Old 11-07-2001, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can an Si or SOHC Civic owner clear this up for me? (DeceitfulCivic)

you got it man... you got everything.. i cant think of any other differences... but SOHC to DOHC, thats a huge difference... late
Old 11-07-2001, 02:09 PM
New User

Default Re: Can an Si or SOHC Civic owner clear this up for me? (tararan)

tararan, thanks for the reply. So am I right in assuming that, besides these components that can easily be swapped over to an EX, there is no other differences between a '99 EX and a '99Si? So I can make my car into an Si, and there will be no difference between the two with the exception that one came equiped from the factory? I thought that the hood of the Si was different, but maybe not. Anybody else care to comment?
Old 11-07-2001, 02:21 PM
YodaIsGod

Default Re: Can an Si or SOHC Civic owner clear this up for me? (DeceitfulCivic)

Chassis is the same...everything you list is what are the difference. In canada, the SiR has ABS, heated mirrors.

The Si has a B16A2 where as the EX has a D16Y8 ( i think!!!)
Old 11-07-2001, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Can an Si or SOHC Civic owner clear this up for me? (YodaIsGod)

Yes, the EX has the D16Y8.
The only thing that I would do is swap the engines. Then people assume (Especially those damn electron blue SI's) that you are only an EX.....then prove they shouldn't underestimate any civic!

I am going that route only I am doing it with an HX Look at those panzy *** Alloy rims.....HAHAHAHAHHA....sorry.....Yup, you can make your car an SI just by swapping parts.
Old 11-07-2001, 02:46 PM
New User

Default Re: Can an Si or SOHC Civic owner clear this up for me? (Spade)

Yes, the EX has the D16Y8.
The only thing that I would do is swap the engines. Then people assume (Especially those damn electron blue SI's) that you are only an EX.....then prove they shouldn't underestimate any civic!

I am going that route only I am doing it with an HX Look at those panzy *** Alloy rims.....HAHAHAHAHHA....sorry.....Yup, you can make your car an SI just by swapping parts.
I'm probably doing the same thing, spade. First on my list is to get the rear disc brakes, and then the B16 engine. Then proabably a Drag III kit, although I still might go the N/A route. There are a lot of different things you could do with the B16, that's why I think it would make a good choice. No torque, though
Old 11-07-2001, 02:52 PM
YodaIsGod

just please don't put a type-r sticker
Old 11-07-2001, 03:04 PM
New User

just please don't put a type-r sticker
Just because I'm converting my car to a DOHC civic Si engine doesn't mean I'm going to rice it out. I'll take a stock looking sleeper any day over a car covered in stickers. But if I do need a Type R sticker than I'll give you call, Yoda.
Old 11-07-2001, 03:16 PM
YodaIsGod

Just because I'm converting my car to a DOHC civic Si engine doesn't mean I'm going to rice it out. I'll take a stock looking sleeper any day over a car covered in stickers. But if I do need a Type R sticker than I'll give you call, Yoda.
ok.

I have a EBP Si, so I can't turn mine into a EX/LX/DX sleeper. But I can supercharge it and surprise some people!!
Old 11-07-2001, 04:10 PM

I've got a black Si without stickers and emblems. I like it that way. Good luck with your plans.
Old 11-07-2001, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The 99-00 Si also uses different front LCA's. If you want to switch front swaybars, you will have to swap pretty much the whole front suspension.

Here is what I got on my car from a 99 Si.

Engine
Cluster
Seats
All four shocks
complete rear suspension
Prop Valve
Master cylinder
Rear Disc Brakes

Thats about all I can think of.
All bolted up with no major problems.
Old 11-07-2001, 05:35 PM
New User

Default Re: Can an Si or SOHC Civic owner clear this up for me? (HXMan)

The 99-00 Si also uses different front LCA's. If you want to switch front swaybars, you will have to swap pretty much the whole front suspension.

Here is what I got on my car from a 99 Si.

Engine
Cluster
Seats
All four shocks
complete rear suspension
Prop Valve
Master cylinder
Rear Disc Brakes

Thats about all I can think of.
All bolted up with no major problems.
Thanks, HX man. I didn't know that. What size is the Si front sway bar? It's not the same as the EX??? Well, is that it? Is that pretty much the last major functional difference? Thanks for your comment! So I would also have to swap out the front LCA's for the front sway bar, huh?

[Modified by DeceitfulCivic, 2:36 AM 11/8/2001]
Old 11-07-2001, 06:14 PM
New User

if i remember correctly, some guy in another web board installed the whole civic SI suspension into his dx and it raised the car up like 4 inches.
Old 11-07-2001, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, the Si front sway bar mounts in a complety different fashion to the front LCAs. Also, the bar did look a bit bigger then mine. Hx and Ex have the same front bar.

From what I have heard, the Si front LCA's are stronger....that same person also said lighter. I had both my car and the Si side by side in my garage, and they did look stronger, but also bigger and heavier. I wish I would have swapped out the whole front end now when I had the chance!

I have a not so good pic of a Si LCA on my comp. I can't get it up here right now but I can if you want.

Also, one day while looking at a 97 CRV I noticed it had the exact same suspension setup as the 99-00 Si..........
Old 11-07-2001, 08:16 PM
I said I don't want a title!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Then proabably a Drag III kit

If you are going to turbo, just turbo the motor that's already in the EX. Build the bottom end up a bit and it would make a good turbo motor and save you some serious cash, time and effort.
Old 11-07-2001, 09:05 PM
New User

Default Re: Can an Si or SOHC Civic owner clear this up for me? (Todd00)

Then proabably a Drag III kit

If you are going to turbo, just turbo the motor that's already in the EX. Build the bottom end up a bit and it would make a good turbo motor and save you some serious cash, time and effort.
That was actually my first choice, but I see that eventually all the turbo SOHCs just upgrade to DOHCs eventually anyways, so why waste time, right? But I'm still thinking about putting a turbo on my SOHC. I just like all the aftermarket support the B16 has.

HX Man, thanks for the info. You don't have to post pics, it's not that big of a deal.

Old 11-08-2001, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am actually still frustrated with the engines and cannot decide what to do with them. I want a california street legal car. Going to go talk to my local referee and see what he will say about a JDM......figures I would be the only one on this board to try it....

B16 = no torque.
B18 = crappy rod/stroke ratio
B20 = same damn thing
B18C1 = money
B18C JDM = SMOG issues......THIS SUCKS!!!! Sigh, I guess that the damn D16Y5 will have to do for now and I will just upgrade the brakes and suspension more. SIGH!
Old 11-08-2001, 12:28 PM
New User

I'd have to say that a B18C looks like the best opyion in your case, spade. Those Cali emmisions laws suck ***. I think I'm going to go with a JDM B16 because I won't be sacrificing that much in terms of HP (-2), and it's just a little less torquey (-12ft). Not a bad trade off IMO. Only thing is, I'll have to rev the **** out of it in order to see any of that.

Good luck with your choice.
Old 11-08-2001, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanx man, I am looking into the whole smog of a JDM thing.....it is one of those I know it won't but....sigh.
Old 11-08-2001, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd have to say that a B18C looks like the best opyion in your case, spade. Those Cali emmisions laws suck ***. I think I'm going to go with a JDM B16 because I won't be sacrificing that much in terms of HP (-2), and it's just a little less torquey (-12ft). Not a bad trade off IMO. Only thing is, I'll have to rev the **** out of it in order to see any of that.

Good luck with your choice.
I would kill right now for the TQ of a b18c.....b16 torque sucks.

Spade, why don't you do a hybrid motor? B20b/z block with b17a crank. The b20z has a taller deck height then a b17a block(it is just a b16 block). This allows you to put in longer rods, making the R/S ratio right about perfect(if you consider 1.75 perfect). A b17 crank in a b20z results in a motor right around 1.8+ liters. Throw a block girdle on that, and a DOHC VTEC head and you are ready to fly all motor.
Old 11-08-2001, 04:58 PM
New User

Default Re: Can an Si or SOHC Civic owner clear this up for me? (HXMan)

Spade, why don't you do a hybrid motor? B20b/z block with b17a crank. The b20z has a taller deck height then a b17a block(it is just a b16 block). This allows you to put in longer rods, making the R/S ratio right about perfect(if you consider 1.75 perfect). A b17 crank in a b20z results in a motor right around 1.8+ liters. Throw a block girdle on that, and a DOHC VTEC head and you are ready to fly all motor.[/QUOTE]

hey thats great can i borrow your checking account and job for ahwhile or do you think your parents would just let me move in over the garage? first of all the us market SI sucks in pure trim, to spend a little money for the jdm b16a out of a civic SIRII 92-95 would be a much better choice for the money and yes 12 hp is a big difference when you don't have it. and considering looking for a wrecked CRV isn't that populer to find either.... unless you spend 3500.$ for a crateed block...
Old 11-08-2001, 07:17 PM
New User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just get yourself an B18B block, build the heck out of it and turbocharge that bastard!

Old 11-09-2001, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can an Si or SOHC Civic owner clear this up for me? (spyder)

Specs that I want:
1. B series (duh)
2. R/S ratio around 1.7-1.8:1
3. 10:1 compresion (good N/A and possible to turbo)
4. TORQUE
5. California Smog legal.

I am not sure about the VTEC, sure it is nice but, If I build the hell out of the engine....I.E. making a B20 Vtec, turbo needs to have a CARB stamp.
This will be daily driven California smog legal....so, my options suck. That is why I keep losing it in my thoughts. In the meantime, I am still trying to figure out if GSR brakes will fit under my tiny *** 14" alloys.
Old 11-09-2001, 10:43 AM
New User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

turbo needs to have a CARB stamp. This will be daily driven California smog legal....so, my options suck.
Yeah, you got that right, your options DO suck (damn california laws!). Your best option right now would be to move to Texas where you can do whatever the hell you want! But that option obviously has some problems

To be honest, I don't think there's a CARB approved turbo setup for an HX . Drag, RevHard and Fmax are definately out, and Greddy only has a CARB approved turbo for the 92-95 Civic EX. But there may be other options out there that I don't know about...

Old 11-09-2001, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Chassis is the same...everything you list is what are the difference. In canada, the SiR has ABS, heated mirrors.

The Si has a B16A2 where as the EX has a D16Y8 ( i think!!!)
Can you get the SiR in white or silver?

Quick Reply: Can an Si or SOHC Civic owner clear this up for me?