Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

can the rear lca bushings be pushed out and replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can the rear lca bushings be pushed out and replaced?

I was dropping my car and when i got to the back, i realized that all the bolts were rusted through. so i ended up having to cut my struts off and grind the heads off the bolts (where the bottom strut bolt goes thru the lca), i even have a hole drilled through whats left but it wont come out. So i want to know,

can i go to the junkyard with a ball joint press, push out a lca bushing, and install it in place of the old one?

basically, are the bushings removable?
Old 10-04-2005, 10:11 AM

Not worth the hassle, just buy some new ones.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Of course. Just buy the Energy Suspension kit but dont buy the one for the Rear LCA because it comes with all except where the strut bushing goes so keep that in mind. Look for the one that comes with the strut bushing. Its really cheap
Old 10-04-2005, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Andres-eh2)

Forgot to mention, my lca is not replacable due to the two bolts that hold it in being seized. my only option at this point in time IS to replace the bushing.

I dont have the time to order the energy suspension one so im just getting one from the junkyard, now that i know it is replaceable
Old 10-04-2005, 10:16 AM

Location: San Diego, I miss Chicago, but love SD, CA, US of fuckin A
Default Re: can the rear lca bushings be pushed out and replaced? (jadugartir)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jadugartir &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was dropping my car and when i got to the back, i realized that all the bolts were rusted through. so i ended up having to cut my struts off and grind the heads off the bolts (where the bottom strut bolt goes thru the lca), i even have a hole drilled through whats left but it wont come out. So i want to know,

can i go to the junkyard with a ball joint press, push out a lca bushing, and install it in place of the old one?

basically, are the bushings removable?</TD></TR></TABLE>Yes they are removable, but you will need a shop press and even then they can be a bitch. And I would just buy a new one from the dealer.. I doubt a junk yard would sell you a bushing because then they can't sell the LCA without replacing the bushing (or at least who would buy it).
Old 10-04-2005, 10:18 AM

Default Re: (jadugartir)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jadugartir &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Forgot to mention, my lca is not replacable due to the two bolts that hold it in being seized. my only option at this point in time IS to replace the bushing.
I dont have the time to order the energy suspension one so im just getting one from the junkyard, now that i know it is replaceable</TD></TR></TABLE>You'll never get that bushing out with the LCA on the car.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HondaFanatic708)

i was planning on using the 100 dollar rental ball joint press from autozone, the one that looks like a big c-clamp. is this not gonna work?
Old 10-04-2005, 10:25 AM

Default Re: (jadugartir)

I was doing poly bushings on my EJ1 a while back and even with the 12-ton shop press one of the bushings didn't want to come out. The main reason is they have a metal sleeve around them that likes to bind itself inside the LCA. You can give it a shot but I highly doubt it will work.

The shop press I speak of..

And then you will need the inserter/remover adapters to press the old one out and the new one in.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you gotta take out the lca out.... cut all the stuck bolts and remove lca... i had to do that on mine as well... the good part is i put anti-seize and now i can take those bolts out anytime i feel like it.. i'm doing shock/spring upgrade soon and am glad i don't have to deal with those bolts again...

i would take those bolts out once every year and replace the anti-seize if you live in the northern states...

i removed the bushings pretty easy (first few times was a pain in the *** until i figured the easiest way)... so i take some vise grips, grap the middle metal "ring" of the bushing and start rotating it... this will cut the ring from the rubber and you can take out the metal ring by rotating and pulling on it... then you use a saw-saw and start cutting the rubber and then the ring... be careful not to cut into your LCA though.. you might wanna cut in a couple places but one place will work.... then i use something sharp like a screwdriver to bend the inside shell at the place where the cut starts... then i use a big metal thing put it in the bent shell piece, and start hammering as hard as i can... this usually causes the inside metal shell to bent out of shape and comes out pretty easy when you hammer it with enough force.... first time took me 2-3 hours for just one bushing... second time about an hour.... now i do a single bushing in about 15 minutes... once you get the hang of it you don't need a press or anything...

good luck!
Old 10-04-2005, 11:13 AM

Default Re: (civic_driver)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civic_driver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you gotta take out the lca out.... cut all the stuck bolts and remove lca... i had to do that on mine as well... the good part is i put anti-seize and now i can take those bolts out anytime i feel like it.. i'm doing shock/spring upgrade soon and am glad i don't have to deal with those bolts again...

i would take those bolts out once every year and replace the anti-seize if you live in the northern states...

i removed the bushings pretty easy (first few times was a pain in the *** until i figured the easiest way)... so i take some vise grips, grap the middle metal "ring" of the bushing and start rotating it... this will cut the ring from the rubber and you can take out the metal ring by rotating and pulling on it... then you use a saw-saw and start cutting the rubber and then the ring... be careful not to cut into your LCA though.. you might wanna cut in a couple places but one place will work.... then i use something sharp like a screwdriver to bend the inside shell at the place where the cut starts... then i use a big metal thing put it in the bent shell piece, and start hammering as hard as i can... this usually causes the inside metal shell to bent out of shape and comes out pretty easy when you hammer it with enough force.... first time took me 2-3 hours for just one bushing... second time about an hour.... now i do a single bushing in about 15 minutes... once you get the hang of it you don't need a press or anything...

good luck!</TD></TR></TABLE>Yeah that's what I had to do is cut the metal sleeve on the one that didn't completely come out. I've heard of people burning out the rubber section but I would hate to weaken my LCA by using heat. civic_driver has the right idea. I'm not saying you absolutely need a press because you don't. Just makes life a whole lot easier and...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civic_driver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">first time took me 2-3 hours for just one bushing... </TD></TR></TABLE> saves time too.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:16 AM

Oh BTW the honda part number for the bushing is 52622-SH3-010 if we're talking about your 95 civic..
Old 10-04-2005, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How would you get the new bushing in? I've done it before but i used a shop press so and now i don't have access to one. So what would the easiest way to get the new bushing in without a press?
Old 10-04-2005, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (D16Z6_turbo)

Well if i drilled the bolts out that hold on the lca, i might as well just replace my whole suspension, because they arent coming off without cutting the lower control arm and quite possibly everything else in half.

my lower control arm isnt going anywhere. any other suggestions? i already have a hole drilled through the middle of the stuck bolt, but its still not coming out
Old 10-04-2005, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

don't cut the control arm... cut the bolts that are holding the control arm...

i cut my bolts in two places... actually i cut the bushings along with the bolts... some cut the welded nut, i didn't so i could reuse it... but i did have to do some additional work in order to take out the cut part of the bolt from the welded nut... i heated the nut with a torch, and using vise grips, i took it out...

yeah, if you have a hydraulic press, i wouldn't even think before using it... but since i didn't have one, and didn't want to buy one, i used a saw saw... and once you do a couple bushings, taking them out becomes a piece of cake.. 15-20 minutes tops for one bushings...

i put front lca bushings from acdelco first time around and they are crap... one broke in first few days, and the other weren't so stable either... so i just got ES bushings and put them on... haven't looked back ever since...
Old 10-04-2005, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just went through what you are going through last weekend. I used a sawzall to cut part of the lca in between the bolt head and the nut on the inside. (if that makes sense) So that i didn't damage the rear sub frame where the lca bolts to the actual body of the car. It was a major pain in the ***. Then when i was able to remove the entire rear trailing arm, I cut out the rest of the lca. Went to the junkyard and got new replacement ones. It was a u-pull it place so i only had to fork over 25.00. And i got the replacement bolts that i had to cut. Trust me bro, this to me seemed like the most logical way to approach the problem. The only real problem is the in place nut on the rear trailing arm and on the rear struts I had to cut off to seperate them from the jacked up lca's, So i had to tighten them down with new nuts then tack weld them in place. I am replacing the real trailing arm's w/ civic si disc setup really soon.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:02 PM

Default Re: (D16Z6_turbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by D16Z6_turbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How would you get the new bushing in? I've done it before but i used a shop press so and now i don't have access to one. So what would the easiest way to get the new bushing in without a press?</TD></TR></TABLE>I'm curious as well since they really don't slide in there..