Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Can a P08 ECU be converted back to automatic?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Can a P08 ECU be converted back to automatic?

I posted a topic on here years ago about a P08 ECU I purchased for my Civic with a manual transmission but the ECU turned out to be one for an automatic transmission so I got a check engine light. I changed a resistor on the circuit board of the ECU and that made the CEL disappear. I purchased a P08 ECU for manual transmissions a couple years ago for pretty cheap($60) so now I installed that one in my car and I want to sell my old P08 ECU. I would like to list that it could be used in vehicles with automatic and manual transmissions but I'm wondering if it can be converted back to work with automatic transmissions. I'm pretty sure changing back the resistor is all I have to do but then again I have no idea what that resistor is for exactly. If anyone who has experience with this could give me advice I would really appreciate it. I just want to know what I'm dealing with before I experiment with buying the original resistor to install back in it.

Here's the link to my original topic:
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/convert-automatic-ecu-manual-2394542/
Old 08-18-2013, 07:30 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: Can a P08 ECU be converted back to automatic?

So lemme understand your "confusion".

You had an automatic ECU.
Removed a resistor to make it a manual ECU.
And now you're wondering what the resistor is for and if reversing the process will make it an automatic ECU again?

Sounds like you like to make things harder than they are.

In any case I don't see how you plan to list it as working on both manuals AND automatics.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yea, that's the gist of it. I believe changing the resistor just disables some part of the ecu that is for the automatic transmissions and that keeps the ecu from throwing a check engine light. The ECU worked completely fine in my manual Civic for years but Since I got the same model ECU for less than half the price I paid for the automatic ECU I figured I should try to sell that one and make back some of what I spent on it.

If I can reverse the process by using the original resistor then I will list that it can work with automatic and manual transmissions but if I can't reverse what I did then I will just specify in the listing that I converted it to work only with manual transmissions.
Old 06-05-2015, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need an ECU just like yours for Automatic tranny. Did you sell this one? Is so, where did you get it?