Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Can old exhaust hangers make noise?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can old exhaust hangers make noise?

I'm getting a loud vibration at 4000 RPM, my exhaust hangers are original and I have almost 193,000 miles. I'm guessing they're getting brittle and making noise against the metal. Anyone had this problem?
Old 09-03-2009, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Can old exhaust hangers make noise?

i havent and i have a car ive been driving that has 240k and i PROMISE the whole exhaust is original, can you be more specific what the noise sounds like and where you hear it. is it low and does it get louder, is it constant, remember vibrations are usually something you feel not hear
Old 09-03-2009, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

An example of noise from a vibration is how two 12" subs can rattle a trunk.

It's a high frequency vibration that occurs at 4k rpm from the muffler section. I had a friend keep at at 4k rpm while I inspected the muffler. When I pinched the rubber hanger it suppressed the vibration/noise.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my point exactly, you cannot hear a vibration, you feel it but yes a vibration can cause a noise to occur if the frequency is high enough and consistent, thats why i asked for more info. good call on the muffler though,
Old 09-04-2009, 01:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ccarey
my point exactly, you cannot hear a vibration, you feel it but yes a vibration can cause a noise to occur if the frequency is high enough and consistent, thats why i asked for more info. good call on the muffler though,
Why are you getting on this guy's case? You know what he's saying. and yes you can hear vibrations. Ever heard of a sound wave AKA vibrations in the air....??.. Did you pass grade school?

To the OP- if it's not metal, chances are it can be bad, metal too I guess. If you press on it and it goes away than wala, there is your problem. They shouldn't cost much. I would look to see if maybe the exhaust has gotten hit or bent underneath. Those mounts are tuff stuff and if it's giving you problems, it is possible that it was tugged on to loosen it up. If there is no visible damage, replace them and you should be good to go.

PS: when you put the new one, or all of them on, use some wd-40 so they just slide onto their posts. Otherwise these are a bitch and a half to slide on. Use a saw to cut the old ones off. It's much easier.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MHDesigns
Why are you getting on this guy's case? You know what he's saying. and yes you can hear vibrations. Ever heard of a sound wave AKA vibrations in the air....??.. Did you pass grade school?

To the OP- if it's not metal, chances are it can be bad, metal too I guess. If you press on it and it goes away than wala, there is your problem. They shouldn't cost much. I would look to see if maybe the exhaust has gotten hit or bent underneath. Those mounts are tuff stuff and if it's giving you problems, it is possible that it was tugged on to loosen it up. If there is no visible damage, replace them and you should be good to go.

PS: when you put the new one, or all of them on, use some wd-40 so they just slide onto their posts. Otherwise these are a bitch and a half to slide on. Use a saw to cut the old ones off. It's much easier.

didn't say i was getting on his case now did I and Yes I passed grade school, look up the term vibration and tell us how how it say something you hear, now get off my back since your so worried about me getting on someone's. Just trying to help the OP out and I told the guy good call on the muff so shut the **ck up
Old 09-04-2009, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The physicist's definition describes sound as "an organized movement of molecules caused by a vibrating body in some medium – water, air rock or whatever."

i think this just said caused by a vibrating body, not hear a vibrating body
Old 09-04-2009, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i wonder if when you pinch the exhaust hanger if it's just suppressing some of the vibration. Just buy new exhaust hangers they are like 3 bucks a piece at autozone. Use soap when you put them on it makes it ten times easier. Usually those kind of noises come from the heat shields by the exhaust
Old 09-04-2009, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys, I'll get some new hangers, then post the outcome in this thread for reference.
Old 09-05-2009, 01:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ccarey
1. (didn't say i was getting on his case now did I) and Yes I passed grade school, 2. (look up the term vibration and tell us how how it say something you hear), 3. (now get off my back since your so worried about me getting on someone's). Just trying to help the OP out and 4 .(I told the guy good call on the muff) so shut the **ck up
So....1. didn't ask you dipshit. But you were on his case like a exorcist on a demon.
2. Nice that you wanna lay jeopardy with me but my point still remains valid and so does his. Have fun trying to correct everyone on honda-tech, you'll never get a useful word in(and judging by any comment you have ever made you have yet to say anything useful).
3. What?!?! So when your being a dick you don't want me to correct you? NO ****! the guy was asking a question about his car, and was very clear if I say so, and you correct his grammar? Lame...
4. Yeah so you agreed with someone while presenting no technical expertise or help whatsoever....awesome...?
5. bottom line you need to cut the cocky attitude until you know what you are talking about. You ARE a dick(on the internet), so grow up, and only post something that might maybe educate someone, because so far the only thing i've ever seen you post, was complete NOOB BS!

Seems like every sixteen year old on here has his first honda and his first set of (internet)*****, thats fine. Talk all the BS you want on here because someday your gonna get hit in the mouth for some bullshiit you said in real land.

And yes....YOU ****ING MORON......You can hear a vibration, sound is nothing but vibration.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wow so much hostility on this thread.... i would say check ur heat shields bro. then take a rubber mallet or something and (gently) tap your Cat. now dont baby the **** just dont wanna whale the **** out of it. listen for any rattling when you hit it. that would indicate a bad CaT which is prone to age and wear. let me kno how that goes for you. good luck!
Old 09-05-2009, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ufakeit
wow so much hostility on this thread.... i would say check ur heat shields bro. then take a rubber mallet or something and (gently) tap your Cat. now dont baby the **** just dont wanna whale the **** out of it. listen for any rattling when you hit it. that would indicate a bad CaT which is prone to age and wear. let me kno how that goes for you. good luck!
Hehe, yes there is for some reason. But thanks for those who backed me up, kind of sad you even had to.

I haven't been that clear though. I don't have any heat shields anymore, and the noise/vibration is coming from my muffler, which is a stock replacement from a muffler shop. The vibration comes in exactly at 4k rpm and goes away right after 4k rpm. But yes, upon further inspection, when pinching one of the rubber hangers connecting the end of the muffler, the noise was suppressed. So I'll get new hangers and see what happens from there.

Such a small problem guys, but thanks for your big help.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sweet deal man hope that works out for you i hate dumb rattles like that it drives me up the wall lol
Old 09-05-2009, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ufakeit
sweet deal man hope that works out for you i hate dumb rattles like that it drives me up the wall lol
I'm the same way!