Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

can mis shifting cause you to blow your engine? skunk2 short shifter cause it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can mis shifting cause you to blow your engine? skunk2 short shifter cause it?

well i ordered a skunk2 short shifter
and just after i ordered it i heard
that skunk2's are bad because they cause u to mis shift.
and its easy to blow your engine if you miss shift?
im gettin a gsr swap soon and i was just gonna use the skunk2 in my stock d series till i get the swap and still use it.
but now i heard that getting a stock gsr shifter is better than a skunk2 because the s2 makes it way easier to missshift and blow your engine.
ionno

any income is great

ive searched on the debates about skunk2 just wondering about he miss shifting and blowing your engine deal.

thanks
Old 12-27-2007, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never heard of skunk2 having a bad shifter (i just ordered one, cant wait). As far as the blowing motor, thats usually the driver inablilty to let of the gas when taching 9k (on a motor not built for it), lol. I mis-shift will not cause you to blow the motor if you can let of the gas, thats my $.02.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: can mis shifting cause you to blow your engine? skunk2 short shifter cause it? (jxhxb)

I can't speak for the missing part, but the only reason you would blow a motor is if you have removed the rev-limiter.

Removing the rev-limiter is just asking for it, IMO. There's no reason you can't install an aftermarket rev-limiter if you want to build a head for 9k RPM runs.

-shrug-

Just my opinion.

Old 12-27-2007, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: can mis shifting cause you to blow your engine? skunk2 short shifter cause it? (jxhxb)

Miss Shifting is not caused I repeat is not caused by the Shifter, U can use a dam Stick to shift for all I care if u miss shift thats your fault for trying to **** like your in a dam Nascar and not getting the Shifter all the way in gear
Old 12-27-2007, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: can mis shifting cause you to blow your engine? skunk2 short shifter cause it? (cln92eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cln92eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Miss Shifting is not caused I repeat is not caused by the Shifter, U can use a dam Stick to shift for all I care if u miss shift thats your fault for trying to **** like your in a dam Nascar and not getting the Shifter all the way in gear </TD></TR></TABLE>

Go drive a late 90's S-10 with a four cylinder, race it on the track, and after you grind the **** out of a few 2nd-3rd shifts, come back and see what you think about shifters not being a contributing factor.

Old 12-27-2007, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: can mis shifting cause you to blow your engine? skunk2 short shifter cause it? (Dramier)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dramier &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

There's no reason you can't install an aftermarket rev-limiter
-shrug-

Just my opinion.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

what exactly is a aftermarket rev limiter???

and mis-shifting from say third to second will cause your engine to spin past the stock rev-limiter as it tries to catch up with the speed of the transmission.

and whoever told you sk2 ss cause you to mis-shift is a expletiveing idiot and doesnt know how to drive. i have had mine in for over 2 years now and take my car to the track quite often and have never mis-shifted.

explain to me how this shifter considering its built like every other shifter can cause you to mis-shift but the other ones wont???
Old 12-27-2007, 06:09 PM

like it has been said many times before, its not the product, its the person using the product and abusing it. if you cant let go of the gas your gonna blow the motor, you dont need a any brand name short shifter to blow it up.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: can mis shifting cause you to blow your engine? skunk2 short shifter cause it? (Dramier)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dramier &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Go drive a late 90's S-10 with a four cylinder, race it on the track, and after you grind the **** out of a few 2nd-3rd shifts, come back and see what you think about shifters not being a contributing factor.

</TD></TR></TABLE>
Who the hell in there right mind even tries to race a S10 I drive one every winter and it has 180,xxx only thing Ive changed on it was water pump and timing chain on it. And it Shifts Great
Old 12-27-2007, 06:19 PM

Default Re: can mis shifting cause you to blow your engine? skunk2 short shifter cause it? (ek-g6)

If you was in 3rd gear and your rpm was at 8.2k. Then missed 4th slap it back in 2nd gear then kabooom. So if you missed a gear, and it dosent go in, you will be bounceing on the rev limitor. Thats only if you have one. I rather miss a gear than to grind a gear. Man my post does not make sence
Old 12-27-2007, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: can mis shifting cause you to blow your engine? skunk2 short shifter cause it? (cln92eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cln92eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Who the hell in there right mind even tries to race a S10 I drive one every winter and it has 180,xxx only thing Ive changed on it was water pump and timing chain on it. And it Shifts Great </TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL.. humble beginnings for some of us my friend.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sohctodohc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
what exactly is a aftermarket rev limiter???
</TD></TR></TABLE>

http://www.vhrpartsandaccessor...?no=1

Now you know.

A shifter -can- make it very difficult to hit shifts correctly, but I wasn't advocating the viewpoint that Skunk2 fit that description. I was referring to the S-10's crappy *** stock shifter. That's all.

There are alot of contributing factors that can make shifting easier or harder for even a skilled driver, but ultimately it's still going to boil down to either driver error or mechanical failure.

Old 12-27-2007, 06:25 PM

Its how you shift the damn thing. Dont blame it on the shifter, its the driver. My skunk 2 shifter, with the skunk **** works wonders.
Man I can shift that thing hardcore. No homo please.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (phyzJunkieCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by phyzJunkieCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Its how you shift the damn thing. Dont blame it on the shifter, its the driver. My skunk 2 shifter, with the skunk **** works wonders.
Man I can shift that thing hardcore. No homo please.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thank u lol
Old 12-27-2007, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (cln92eg)

As much as I'd love to bash S2 right now, their shifters don't make you mis-shift. It's a common interpretation that short shifters cause damage because people think they're driving a Lamborghini and can't their feet speed to go with their decreased shift time - this usually causes the syncros to wear out prematurely.

Mis-shifting can cause you to blow your engine, yes. Though a short shifter will not cause you to mis-shift unless you're a dumb ricer tool who thinks he's in a grand prix cup.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">As much as I'd love to bash S2 right now, their shifters don't make you mis-shift. It's a common interpretation that short shifters cause damage because people think they're driving a Lamborghini and can't their feet speed to go with their decreased shift time - this usually causes the syncros to wear out prematurely.

Mis-shifting can cause you to blow your engine, yes. Though a short shifter will not cause you to mis-shift unless you're a dumb ricer tool who thinks he's in a grand prix cup.</TD></TR></TABLE>
X2
Old 12-27-2007, 06:39 PM

Ahahahhahaha.
Syndacate, man you almost made me **** my ***. "Dumb ricer tool"
Old 12-27-2007, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

"any income is great"
yes, unless you get it from filming beastiality ****, then your income is horribly gained.

but seriously, if you want a shorter shift get a shifter from a del sol.

for some reason i think you're the type to slap your car from 4th to 2nd.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have actually gone from 4th to 2nd hahah
but
when your in a lower gear u get more pull if your at a roll

my friend was coming up on the side of me fast so i dropped it to second to get some speed fast...just on my stock d15 lol but.

i was going about 40 in 4th so the revs were pretty low

so thats not that bad is it? if you rev match it into the gear then hit the gas?
Old 12-27-2007, 07:50 PM

Thats ok if you have enough rmp to play with.
My buddy does that with his single cam all day.
I slap to 3rd he slaps to second, oh i have a gsr
Old 12-27-2007, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

soon to have me a gsr rebuilt with new stock internals

have u guys actually raced? how much did u beat him by?
Old 12-27-2007, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by phyzJunkieCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Its how you shift the damn thing. Dont blame it on the shifter, its the driver. My skunk 2 shifter, with the skunk **** works wonders.
Man I can shift that thing hardcore. No homo please.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok. You go out and drive a truck that has a gigantic *** three foot high shifter and then you tell me that ****.

Keep your sexual advances to yourself too.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dramier)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">As much as I'd love to bash S2 right now, their shifters don't make you mis-shift. It's a common interpretation that short shifters cause damage because people think they're driving a Lamborghini and can't their feet speed to go with their decreased shift time - this usually causes the syncros to wear out prematurely.

Mis-shifting can cause you to blow your engine, yes. Though a short shifter will not cause you to mis-shift unless you're a dumb ricer tool who thinks he's in a grand prix cup.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I see so many people around where I live mash the F outta their car after they get a short shifter installed like some how its going to make the car fast.. lol
Old 12-27-2007, 08:16 PM

i dont even know how its possible to shift from 3'd to 2'nd. if you are drive your car every day, and know how to shift, you will never have a problem with a short throw. the only thing is that it takes a big more effort to shift (decreased leverage) which isnt that much really, the positive outweigh the negitive..
Old 12-27-2007, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Frickr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Frickr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i dont even know how its possible to shift from 3'd to 2'nd. if you are drive your car every day, and know how to shift, you will never have a problem with a short throw. the only thing is that it takes a big more effort to shift (decreased leverage) which isnt that much really, the positive outweigh the negitive..</TD></TR></TABLE>

are u serious? or are u joking

uve never downshifted?
Old 12-27-2007, 08:24 PM

Default Re: (Dramier)

[/QUOTE]<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dramier &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Ok. You go out and drive a truck that has a gigantic *** three foot high shifter and then you tell me that ****.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

What you want me to tell you?
Old 12-27-2007, 08:27 PM

Are you saying we should blame the shifters for making us miss gears?
The driver is the one that moves it not the shifter alone.
Train your eyes to ignore my posts

Quick Reply: can mis shifting cause you to blow your engine? skunk2 short shifter cause it?